Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 02:01 PM

111 posts, read 130,149 times

Advertisements

The market in Katy seems active but is this the time to buy a first time home?

Rates seem solid for now and a lot of analysts including my company predict prime to go up in the next 6-10 months.

Any thoughts? I have seen some even appealing on the market for 30+ days and is non owner occupied.

Say the home was asking 310,000 and reduced 30 days ago to 300,000. What should be the lowest amount to offer?

My hope was to offer 280 and ask seller to cover 5k in closing costs.

2 part thread but would appreciate some input.

Buying a home is one of the most fun/stressful and emotional things my wife and I have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrath View Post
Buying a home is one of the most fun/stressful and emotional things my wife and I have done.
Ha! Wait until you have to sell your home. Every time I do it I tell myself I'm never doing it again.

Yes, prices are falling a bit, homes are sitting longer, sellers are more motivated.
Your agent can pull comps and come up with a good offer.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

225 posts, read 519,711 times

Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Haha thanks! Yeah we got our lease structured nicely and just weren't sure of what to do

1) pull the trigger on our top house with a fair offer
2) continue to view new listing for Feb/Mar (I hear a lot of houses go up than)

Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 AM

226 posts, read 306,391 times
I live if far west Katy, and more and more houses are popping up for sale/lease in my neighborhood. And tbh, a lot of them have been sitting for some time. The fact that we aren't in Cinco Ranch (but border up next to it) could be an issue, but who knows.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,568 times
If you have a need to buy a house then buy a house. A house should be home and is a long term investment. I don't understand why so many people buy a house and look at it a short term investment and looking to flip in the next 2-5 years. 15-20 years from now you should equity no matter what. If you happen to have a bunch of equity in say 5 years then simply call it luck and smile.

Rates are potentially going up and a lot of the market predictions are that our housing market is going to stabilize. So as far a looking for pricing to fall off a cliff it probably is not going to happen. There will be some discounts and prices might come down some and houses will take longer to sell. However we got spoiled the last few years with a very over heated market. Heck our house that we just sold increased in equity by 40% in the last 5 years.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 AM

109 posts, read 141,831 times
We put an offer on a house in Katy in November. It was listed at $300K and we put an offer in for $275K fully expecting them to come back and negotiate. They received a $295K offer and didn't give us an opportunity to match/beat (and we would have). I LOVED that house. Lesson learned! If you are going to regret missing out, I wouldn't play games with your offer nor would I wait. We thought the market was slower too and it turns out not so much (at least not to the extent we wanted it to be). For comparison's sake, we ended up buying in Cypress. Our house was listed at $275K and we paid $273K.

(Also, in our case, the house had been listed for a while, but no/limited showings were happening...so it looked like it was sitting on the market but really wasn't)

Old 02-02-2016, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the info. The houses I ran into in katy both had issues and are still on the market.

One was previously burned down but the seller does not disclose.

I knew the deal was to good to be true. PM me if you want to know the listing as I have an agent and am not sure of real estate laws or want defamation on a owners property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: