Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:10 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times

Advertisements

From this page you can access the 'best' ranking of Houston schools, as well as the complete underlying data sets and methodology:

School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK

I don't agree with geolvl that a good neighborhood school is always superior to a magnet program at a disadvantaged school. It depends on your priority - education, or population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
From this page you can access the 'best' ranking of Houston schools, as well as the complete underlying data sets and methodology:

I don't agree with geolvl that a good neighborhood school is always superior to a magnet program at a disadvantaged school. It depends on your priority - education, or population.
The schools the OP is looking at are excellent campuses, that are similar to schools in the coveted suburban districts with great staff.

Also, HISD has a policy of school choice. That means that any campus with open seats will accommodate you if your zoned campus is full. You will just have to provide transportation if they don't have magnet busing. You just have to call around the different registrars at the various campuses.

Last edited by Meyerland; 03-29-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM

213 posts, read 303,653 times
If you come into town, drive by the school and try to get there to actually see th kids that go there and the neighborhood it's in. Check out the demographics. I think it's crazy to expect that in a neighborhood school that the kids of higher income brackets would be isolated from the general population. Sounds like prison.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM

64 posts, read 89,188 times
This is helpful to relieve my worries, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
No, the capped schools won't grow and grow. those were the only capped schools this year. It's not really a huge worry. it's a short list of a few schools/grade levels. People move in and out all the time and it's really rare to be turned away from a zoned campus. As far as the chart goes, The left campus is the zoned one and the two in the right columns are the overflow and the overflow's overflow. Most in this area are sent to Anderson.

If I was you, I would call and see how many places they saved for neighborhood kids at the grade levels you need on your short list of schools. Ask how many they turned away the previous year.

Then focus on homes for lease in those zoned areas. See if you can bump your move up a bit, but if not, don't panic. Parker and Kolter were not even capped this year. I don't even think Lovett and Twain were capped. West U was going to be, but parents kick d up a fuss and I don't think that happened.

I was in your shoes a few years ago, and once you are in a school, you are done until middle school. June should be just fine. Just register when you are able to do it. Ask the registrars for information. :-)

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
Get a local realtor to help you with your lease/purchase that really knows the inner loop areas and school zones. Greenwood King is a big player in the area. We used Kristin Tillman there and thought she was great. Sotheby's/formerly Martha Turner is also active inside the loop as is John Daugherty realtors.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:39 AM

64 posts, read 89,188 times
What a great resource. As a data geek I can't believe what I see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 AM

47 posts, read 70,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I don't think anything you do with lower-ranked schools (accept or decline) will impact your position with higher-ranked schools, unless you actively decline those higher-ranked schools.

There's a facebook site for magnet families you might be interested in. If you were a sociologist, you would find it fascinating. As a parent, it's less fascinating .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3053...758/?ref=br_tf

Also, it's "easy" to buy into the Lovett/Kolter/Parker/Condit zones. There are SO MANY houses in the area, ranging from the $200s to millions, that there's always a lot on the market, in various sizes, shapes, and condition. And given the downturn we are seeing, buyer competition won't be as brutal as it has been for the past few years.
Thanks! I didn't know about that facebook group, more magnet obsessive parents like me, YAY!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:55 AM

47 posts, read 70,003 times
Notice that the children at risk in their methodology give weight to low income students, so a school with a lot of low income students that scores high on state tests will be ranked higher the an equivalent school with high income students. Something you might want to take into account.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:01 AM

57 posts, read 127,061 times
I don't mean to scare you, but this thread is what happened to us last year: Live in Roberts or West U Elementary Boundary Zone, Don't get to go There? (Incidentally, last year one couldn't even register for the first round of the magnet draw if one didn't already live in HISD boundaries.)

We registered the minute we had all of our necessary residency documents (two utility bill/hookup letters, house documents, drivers license, etc.) at the beginning of June, and didn't get into our local school then. We received a postcard the Saturday before classes were to begin (on that Monday) saying that we were off of the waitlist. If you are in Meyerland, you probably won't have the exact same problems, but be aware of this.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM

87 posts, read 167,479 times
I can only imagine how stressful all this is for you trying to do it from out of town. It's hard enough living in the city to navigate things.

I just want to mention that you might need to double check your expectations about being able to accept a magnet seat if offered at this time. My understanding having just gone through the process is that if you have been extended a seat, you only have until April 8th to complete paperwork and provide proof of residence. And I believe that if at any time you are offered a seat off the waitlist, you only have a small amount of time to do paperwork/provide proof of residence (maybe a week??). Otherwise you will be forfeiting your slot.

So, you may be spinning your wheels with the magnet process right now if you have no way to provide proof of residency at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: