Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times

Advertisements

I love food, but not all food. I inhale Italian and Greek food and could it eat every day of my life.

So, in big H-city, which has a reputation for good eats, are there are family-style, not too expensive, authentic and unpretentious eateries that throw down slabs of awesome Italian and Greek food?

And when it's authentic, it's Italian food...when it's wanna-be, it's Eye-talian. LOL. Also, when Middle Easterners do the Greek restaurant thing, it tends to be more Lebanese/Middle Eastern...and that's a slightly different taste and presentation...so, then, authentic Greek.

Any suggestions for when I come to town to check it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
I personally LOVE Collina's and Michelangelo's for italian. I also really like Ciro's over on I-10. Really good stuff! I don't know how "hole-in-the-wall" they are, but they're pretty authentic IMHO! Unfortunately my favorite, Pino's, is gone.

Niko Niko's makes the best gyros I have ever had.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Prima Pasta Kriby @ Holcomb 1 block south Holcomb

Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,463 times
You have GOT to try Franca's on Nasa Road One for Italian. When I first saw the place, I thought it looked kind of cheesy. My husband asked if I wanted to try it, and I almost said no. Boy, am I glad that I decided to try it. Their food is all very fresh & homemade. After eating their fresh pasta, Olive Garden has never tasted as good to me. For dessert, you must get their Tira Misu. Their garlic rolls are also made fresh daily. The owner was Franco, but he passed ownership on to his daughter some years back (Francesca, nicknamed "Franca"). All the statues and the fountain inside were handmade by Franco. The family is very nice & genuinely concerned with you having a great experience. They also have a little dinner theater some nights, although I haven't tried that aspect yet.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 63,942 times
Niko Niko's is great Greek food! It's on Montrose just north of Westheimer, but if you go at a busy time of night parking is tough to find. Huge Greek salads, good gyros, all kinds of dessert and tons of other options.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,981 times
I would second Niko Niko's. For Italian try Patranelli's on I think Jackson Hill, right off of Washington.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I love food, but not all food. I inhale Italian and Greek food and could it eat every day of my life.

So, in big H-city, which has a reputation for good eats, are there are family-style, not too expensive, authentic and unpretentious eateries that throw down slabs of awesome Italian and Greek food?

And when it's authentic, it's Italian food...when it's wanna-be, it's Eye-talian. LOL. Also, when Middle Easterners do the Greek restaurant thing, it tends to be more Lebanese/Middle Eastern...and that's a slightly different taste and presentation...so, then, authentic Greek.

Any suggestions for when I come to town to check it out?
Fourthing (? lol) Niko Niko's. Another one to try is Bibas One's-a-Meal on West Gray, but it's more of the Lebanese/Middle Eastern variety of Greek food you're talking about, according to my Persian friend. I think there's another location on Memorial Drive? They're open 24 hours, which is part of the appeal.

And it's H-town. If you're gonna live here, gotta get it right.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
And it's H-town. If you're gonna live here, gotta get it right.
My slip up...interchanged it with Space City and Bayou City, sorry.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,933 times
Try Prego in the Rice Village for Italian.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My slip up...interchanged it with Space City and Bayou City, sorry.
Yes, Houston has too many monikers.

You can check out restaurant reviews here B4-U-EAT - Houston Texas Restaurant & Dining Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: