Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM

249 posts, read 561,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What are the rates for those city center apts?
Currently looks like:

Domain has 1 bedrooms from $1519-1858, 1 bedroom townhomes from $2662-2872, 2 bedrooms from $2275-2900, and 3 bedrooms from $4000+.

Ascent has 1 bedrooms from $1392-2560, 2 bedrooms from $2570-5565, and 3 bedrooms from $3482-6918. Ascent also current has 1 month free with 12+ month lease.

PM me if you have other questions on apartments in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
I'd stay in Washington corridor or Montrose. No way I'd live in Katy if I were you. Heights is kind of become more young family oriented than singles, IMO.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
How far of a commute is that? At least 35 mins, no? Too far. I too stress that Katy would be a total bore for a young professional but the best compromise is city centre, energy corridor or memorial.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,043 times
The Memorial area closest to I-10 and west 610 loop would be ideal. Easy access to nightlife activities within a 20 min distance or less (you will need a car in Houston regardless) without being too far from Katy. Memorial Park is 5 min away.

Check these complexes
7 Square Apartment Homes - Katy Freeway | Houston, TX Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

This one is tucked-in behind trees, very private.
Houston Galleria Apartments and Townhomes For Rent | Post Oak Woodway

Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
One my coworker who is a young professional as well, lives in Brookshire TX and commutes to Katy. Very convenient location without much traffic I used to commute from Houston to Katy, and didn't like that in general. However if you pass 610 on I10 on a way to Katy, road becomes clear of traffic. So if you really want to live in Houston but have to commute to Katy, better find a place somewhere on I10 outside of 610 but within Beltway 8 limits. Within 610 is all the morning and evening traffic. Super crazy every day. If you want to avoid traffic but live in Houston, then look at Ikea area, Hedwig Village, City Center, Memorial City Mall area, Costco/Bunker Hill Rd area, Energy Corridor.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Energy Corridor, 'nuff said.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,272 times
Thanks again for your feedback.
I suppose Energy Corridor, Memorial area and City Centre are a good compromise.
Can anyone tell me more about the differences of these areas?
The Domain apartment looks interesting. Is this the common way, that you normally move in such an apartment complex as an single expat, or do you also rent "standard apartments" (meaining something without reception etc)?.
Also looking at the rates, Domain looks pretty expensive, or are those standard prices?
And again, the option with shared living... Not possible/unusual in such complexes?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Energy Corridor is a large and diverse market area. Generally regarded as stretching from Beltway 8 into Katy, along I-10, and also down Eldridge to Briar Forest drive. It's mostly moderately-upscale single family homes. Apartments run the gamut from older, somewhat run-down complexes (just south of I-10 between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford) to brand-new high-end developments. Apartments were overbuilt during the oil boom, and you can find lots of free 1-2 month rent deals nowadays. It's more popular with families than young singles, but would keep your commute in check. Plenty of gyms around and some nice parks (mainly Terry Hershey Park).

Memorial is one of the most-upscale parts of Houston, dominated by very expensive single-family homes in secluded neighborhoods. There are a few apartment complexes here and there but I've heard they're more popular with families trying to get their kids into great schools. Not really an area for young singles.

City Center is a single master-planned development (or maybe a small collection of developments), which basically occupy a few city blocks. It is dense and upscale, far less suburban in feel than either Energy Corridor or Memorial.

For shared living, you might want to check Craigslist or Internhousing.com. I've used these to rent out extra rooms to interns or exchange students successfully. It's not too uncommon for young single professionals to share a two-bedroom apartment, especially for the first few years out of college.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM

399 posts, read 641,931 times
remember you will be going opposite traffic if you are traveling from town toward Katy in the morning and opposite in the afternoon. So looking at 20-35 minutes depending on where you decide to live between mid town and city center area and where you are going in Katy. I would definitely not recommend living in Katy as a single in their 20's. Katy is fine but people ,move there when they start family because their dollar goes much further and they have great public schools.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Energy Corridor is a large and diverse market area. Generally regarded as stretching from Beltway 8 into Katy, along I-10, and also down Eldridge to Briar Forest drive. It's mostly moderately-upscale single family homes. Apartments run the gamut from older, somewhat run-down complexes (just south of I-10 between Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford)
I take issue with this ! Many have been torn down and replaced with new such as:

Home - Domain West

Aura Memorial Apartments | West Houston | Energy Corridor

Apartments in Houston | The Grand on Memorial

With all the building there are many choices:

Energy Corridor Apartments Near CityCentre Memorial City | The Grove at Wilcrest

The SLATE | New Houston Apartments Near I-10 & Beltway 8 in Spring ISD

Apartments in Houston | Broadstone Memorial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: