Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM

32 posts, read 35,185 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering moving and have narrowed our potential locations to 3 options:1) Oak Forest (zoned to OFE, Black Middle and Waltrip); 2) Nottingham Forest (Meadow Wood, Spring Forest and Stratford) and 3) Wilchester (Wilchester Elem; Memorial Middle and Stratford). We have 3 kids, oldest is 8 and attending 2nd grade; therefore immediately concerned about elementary and middle school (next 6 years).

Looking at school rankings seems that Option 3; Memorial middle is the best; however it comes at a premium and might not be able to get the house we want (budget $750K max, including upgrades if needed). Considering the other 2 options, any comments on how Black middle and Spring Forest middle compare between them and with Memorial? any experience with these schools? Are the rankings shown on the websites reflective of the education the kids get?

We work downtown, so seems that OF will have a better commute, however we are considering the other areas if the if the schools are significantly better.

Thanks for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
I know a number of folks whose kids have gone or are going to Frank Black, and they are happy with the school, especially if your kid gets into the pre-AP classes. OFE is considered to be good as well, with lots of parent involvement. For HS, Waltrip is OK, and the AP track is very good. You also have the option of trying for a lottery magnet like Energy Institute, Carnegie Vanguard, etc. My son has attended HISD schools since first grade(he's a sophomore now), and we've always been happy with the education he's received.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
Black is a good middle school, a great one if you can get into Vanguard. Lots of community involvement.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,225 times
We were renting in Oak Forest for a year and loved the elementary school. The neighborhood was nice too. Just never felt like home to me. We ended up buying a townhome-style home Spring Valley and we love it there! We are zoned to Valley Oaks, Spring Branch middle and Memorial high. So far we love VOE and my daughter is very happy there (started 3rd grade there this year.

She tested for the magnet program and got in, but she got on the waiting list for OFE becomes there were such limited number of openings in grades other than K. So she wouldn’t have been in the magnet program this year at OFE anyway. That’s one tho g I hate about the lottery system. But the school is great no matter. I just didn’t care for Black (which I know is getting better) or Waltrip. Of everyone one I talked to who actually lived in OF - no matter how often you hear that the middle and high schools are good - they all sent their kids to private schools after OFE. A couple were going to Black a try, but I didn’t know anyone who sent their kids to Waltrip.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Waltrip just got a really nice new campus built last year. By the time the 8 year old is ready for hs it may be a more desirable school or there is always the lottery.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:28 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
I know a few people who graduated from Waltrip but this was 2004-2008. What makes it undesirable and ok? The number of Hispanics?

https://www.har.com/school/101912015...ip-high-school

From HAR they outnumber everyone. Just an observations here and I'm assuming asking folks aren't Hispanic.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Waltrip pulls from a lot of areas around Oak Forest/Garden Oaks that are full of low rent apartments populated by Hispanic immigrants of questionable legal status is mainly the reason. No matter how gentrified GOOF gets Waltrip will have these issues unless they change the boundaries or tear down those complexes.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:49 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Waltrip pulls from a lot of areas around Oak Forest/Garden Oaks that are full of low rent apartments populated by Hispanic immigrants of questionable legal status is mainly the reason. No matter how gentrified GOOF gets Waltrip will have these issues unless they change the boundaries or tear down those complexes.

But that's HISD in a nutshell. Low rent apartments galore with questionable people of all races. Isn't that why y'all play the magnet game and run to places like certain elementary schools.

Using your words, no matter how gentrified the Loop gets, questionable people and low rent apartments will always be in the vicinity.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:49 PM

32 posts, read 35,185 times
Thank you for all the information regarding OF. Anyone has any commnets on Spring Forest Middle? Do the families in Nottingham Forest use their local middle school? How it comapares to memorial middle?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,066 times
We know a family that lives in Nottingham Forest and they send their kid to a private middle school. I think they were already doing private school before moving there though, so that might be an indicative of whether the Spring Forest Middle is desirable or not by the Nottingham Forest families. Maybe tour the school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston