Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if the costs were the same you'd rather live in an efficiency apartment a mile down the road than that house?
I'd rather live in the McMansion but I would build a tiny house in the living room and live in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I'd rather live in the McMansion but I would build a tiny house in the living room and live in that.
Lol, that would be funny.

If you don't mind, I'd love to walk through this element by element.

Let's start with the front and the entry.

On the front of the house, I don't like the turret thing because I think it looks out of place disrupting the roof line. I also dislike that soul patch piece of grass. Finally, I prefer natural stone or brick over stucco. I also prefer the garage doors on the side. Other than that, the front looks nice to me.

In the entry, once again it's that turret. I'd minimize it by getting rid of the redundant chandelier. I aSo don't like that dark colored column leading into that other room.

What are your issues with the front and entry?

Old 08-27-2016, 03:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
So, do you think people who like McDonalds over Whataburger are going there due to a political reason or because they despise any business that started in Corpus Christi?

There is a reason why so many people go to McDonalds. It's because they like it. It doesn't matter that you and I don't like it, our tastes are irrelevant to them.

This idea that people's tastes should not be about what they like or dislike is just so weird and illogical to me.

Taste is subjective.

Either you believe it's not subjective, which shows no logic, or you're confused about what subjective means.

"Some people don't like mayonnaise because they don't like its flavor."

"No, mayonnaise tastes good."

"You might like it but others do not."

"They aren't right, because mayonnaise tastes good to everyone."

Of course taste is subjective, based on the fact that it varies from person to person, but our preferences are shaped by what we're exposed to. Taste is subjective but it can also be changed.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:00 PM

125 posts, read 114,236 times
Quote:
Very good post.

I'd guess the term "McMansion" is used out of jealousy 92.32% of the time.

Another thing that amuses me is how quickly the home outraged will jump to, "It's made cheaply out of crappy materials" when they have no idea. They just see a photo of a newer large home (not owned by a celebrity) and make that automatic assumption.

I hear the home outraged crowd go on and on about all of Houston's MPCs with their cheaply constructed McMansions, yet I don't think I heard of a single one imploding when Hurricane Ike rolled through.

The site did contain some relatively funny things and proved that some people have different tastes than others.
No, it's used out of disgust.
I don't know about you, but I find these mcmansions to be an eye sour. I don't care about the size, they just have no style or culture to them..
Anyways, not my land, do whatever, because freedom and crap.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I would only live in that McMansion if the alternative was homelessness. Among the ugliest houses I've ever seen. I wonder if the people who think that house is nice are the same people who think Nickelback is good music.
Let's discuss some of your likes and dislikes. What's your favorite food? What's your favorite wine? What's your favorite color? What's your favorite song? What's your favorite movie?

Old 08-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
I don't know about you, but I find these mcmansions to be an eye sour. I don't care about the size, they just have no style or culture to them..
I find misspelled words to be an eyesore. To me, a person who misspells - or even worse, mispronounces or misunderstands - words and phrases is showing a striking lack of culture. But maybe I'm wrong - maybe it's just as unimportant as what sort of house someone else chooses to buy.

Maybe this is all a moot point. But it is definitely not a MUTE point.

Different priorities for different people.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-27-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Nice house.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:29 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let's discuss some of your likes and dislikes. What's your favorite food? What's your favorite wine? What's your favorite color? What's your favorite song? What's your favorite movie?
What does that have to do with this thread? Are you bothered by my opinion that the house isn't nice, so you want to hear some of my opinions so you can make fun them of? If so, go ahead, I don't care about your opinion, and I don't know why you would be bothered by mine. I don't have one favorite food or wine, blue, Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones, 12 Angry Men.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
Let's discuss the elevation of the eyesore that was the focus of this thread. What parts of the front of that house are eyesores to you? We will assume the turret is, but what other items?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
What does that have to do with this thread? Are you bothered by my opinion that the house isn't nice, so you want to hear some of my opinions so you can make fun them of? If so, go ahead, I don't care about your opinion, and I don't know why you would be bothered by mine. I don't have one favorite food or wine, blue, Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones, 12 Angry Men.
I actually personally think the house is hideous. But my question to you was to highlight that TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE and that it's pretty easy to lambast others' taste with a sense of superiority. But it's a sense of superiority that's pretty shallow.

I didn't really care what you like or dislike, just for the record. But thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston