Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times

Advertisements

In the news here in Vt yesterday. The legislature is pushing to impose a hefty tax on housing from 4000 sq ft and above in the aim to of course fill the coffers and to discourage new construction. I realize that this news really impacts only a small segment of the population overall, however, it will not stop here. The folks here want property tax reform and have sent that message to the state house, but since the legislature has been in session all we hear is activity on global warming and dreaming up new ways to generate tax revenue. Nothing about dealing with current budget issues. Then this week we find out that the state collects financial information on tens of thousands of residents from our local financial institutions under the premise of seeking out deadbeat child support payers and that this information on our identies was hacked into and information stolen. Mind you this information collected and not protected by the state includes folks who don't even have kids. A side note to the proposed housing tax mentioned above is that it is expected to raise the values of other homes. Good news to those who perhaps plan to sell, bad news to those who want to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Interesting. Maybe if I want to buy I need to act soon. And maybe I'll be able to sell later on at a tidy profit. But will I be able to sell later on???

What is being done about the data collection and hacking?

Do Vermonters tend to be more passive about political goings-on than, say, people in New Hampshire and other nearby states?

Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I was little baffled by that news report last night. I'm all for people/homes being more energy efficient, but come on.
I'm with you on property tax reform....all those that ran ran on the "we need to fix Act 60" platform, yet I don't see much happening on that front.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
A 4000 sf home is over twice the size of an average home, and likely to be bought and used by the more politically influential segment of the population. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the bill, but my guess is that it will ultimately die.

The past had a lot of large homes being built in the state. Those homes eventually were split and turned in apartments, or used by libraries, fraternities, and other groups that could afford them. Hopefully some of the McMansions will be well enough constructed to add to that group, but I suspect a lot will be torn down if they don't age gracefully.

Property tax in Vermont is a big reason for not moving there, or building a minimal home if you do.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
In the news here in Vt yesterday. The legislature is pushing to impose a hefty tax on housing from 4000 sq ft and above in the aim to of course fill the coffers and to discourage new construction. I realize that this news really impacts only a small segment of the population overall, however, it will not stop here. The folks here want property tax reform and have sent that message to the state house, but since the legislature has been in session all we hear is activity on global warming and dreaming up new ways to generate tax revenue. Nothing about dealing with current budget issues. Then this week we find out that the state collects financial information on tens of thousands of residents from our local financial institutions under the premise of seeking out deadbeat child support payers and that this information on our identies was hacked into and information stolen. Mind you this information collected and not protected by the state includes folks who don't even have kids. A side note to the proposed housing tax mentioned above is that it is expected to raise the values of other homes. Good news to those who perhaps plan to sell, bad news to those who want to move here.
Isn't it amazing how stupid state governments and local governments are? Such brilliant logic to raise taxes on the people who already pay the most so you can chase them out of the state eventually and lose all the tax generated by them in the first place!
New Jersey is losing people fleeing to North Carolina it seems because of taxes, and Floridians are fleeing north to escape both soaring property taxes that keep going up on valuations that stopped being valid two years ago while paying horrendous home insurance rates.
The state never learns.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Another reason for normal citizens to run for the legislature.
I don't know if it's stupidity or power addiction, but governments seem to be more inclined to act as enemies and rulers of the people they supposedly were put in place to serve, than servants of the people.
This is a frightening and dangerous trend, and we see it in Washington DC and in many state capitols too. It seems they just don't care, they flaunt their power, they act without honor, and their attitude seems to be, "Tough, what ya gonna do about it?"

Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
I have to be honest, I liked Bernie's politics much more when I was poor uneducated white trash It seemed like such a terrific idea: to tax the wealthiest 30% and take the least amount of money from the poorest 70%. However, the reality is that there is a growing lack of balance in Vermont's tax structure. And it's to the point now that I'd never consider moving back to Vermont because the tax impact on my families available income would simply not be worth it.

If Vermont REALLY wanted to slow development it would mandate statewide zoning requirements that would limit the size of homes. It really just wants more money. I've read over the latest tax report prepared for the state. The basic message in the report is that every year a larger percentage of the revenue they derive from individual and corporate income tax (38% of all revenue in 2004) is being paid by top 3% wealthiest people. The problem they've identified is that this income level is volatile (gasp!). Because alot of the income the top 3% earns is in the form of capital gains, dividends and so on. So, for example, if the stock market softens '07, so to will their income tax revenue. Obviously the state government's solution is to increase property tax (already the single largest source of tax revenue for the state at something like 42% of all revenue) for the wealthiest Vermonters. So, Vermont is saying, hey you rich folks in those big houses, we've figured out a brilliant way to guarantee you'll be paying more taxes every year! Since Vermont real estate values appreciate even during those years when your stock portfolio doesn't do so well, we'll simply be tacking on an extra few points on your tax rate, because, well, gee, we know you've got the money. Ugh.

Sean

Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
I suppose what this means is that some states will become better known as citizen-friendly, and others as the opposite of what Reagan and others have said regarding "the government that governs best is the government that governs least."

My question: Of the three northern tier New England states, which is the most friendly to citizens, to freedom, to responding to citizens' desires?
Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:42 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
My question: Of the three northern tier New England states, which is the most friendly to citizens, to freedom, to responding to citizens' desires? Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont?
Looking at just Vermont and New Hampshire, I think it would be Vermont. New Hampshire in my mind caters more to business interests. For example, in Vermont, billboards are illegal. In New Hampshire, they appear to be mandatory. New Hampshire often has a more business-friendly environment than Vermont does. Primarily because New Hampshire wants to dial up the growth they already enjoy. I might ruffle a few feathers, but if you look at New Hampshire's growth it is in direct correlation with their southern cities enjoying the role of red headed step child to the Boston and the NYC metro area. So they drop income taxes and make the area more hospitable to corporations looking to escape the high tax footprint of Boston and NYC, and the formula works. Is this good for their economy? Sure. Is it good for the citizens? I would say, yes, it's good for the citizens they're looking to attract. For the citizens already there? Not so much.

Maine would probably be the best place for a libertarian due to the greater expanse of severely underpopulated areas, and jaw dropping beauty. They might not have fewer laws governing your freedoms, but it would be alot easier to get away with violating them up there Just make sure you add a skidsteer with a snowblower to your homestead emergency plan

Sean

Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,142 times
First things first NH has More freedoms than VT or Maine. With all the mentioned. We don't pass laws that restrict how you run your Biss or life unlike maine and VT. Now anyway back on subjuct. I have 2 uncles Pissed about this little law they are trying to pass. They are both farmers. With the OLd farmhouse you know the big ones that are far and few between anymore. well both there's are at that 4000 Sq ft limit even though Half is storage for tractors ect because it is attached to the house they use that in the house size. How does a state that says it want to preserve what farms are left feel about taxing the old farmers even more. Like VT didn't loose enough farms in the buyout years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont