Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 30,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
It's provided by Spring Branch ISD. For some reason the majority of the kids at Valley Oaks Elem go on to attend Spring Branch Middle but a small area zoned to Valley Oaks Elem goes to Landrum Middle. These kids then go to Memorial High, while the majority of Landrum Middle goes on to Northbrook High.

So Spring Branch ISD has worked out transfer agreements with some HOAs and communities for a guarantee transfer to Spring Branch Middle allowing them to stay with the same peers they attended elementary with and will attend high school with.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

I am looking at Reserve at Mortiz gated community. Is this place any good? It's similar to Villages at Spring Branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 03:50 PM

156 posts, read 283,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moojaabee View Post
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

I am looking at Reserve at Mortiz gated community. Is this place any good? It's similar to Villages at Spring Branch.
As far as I can tell, from the one time I drove through it, it appears to be a sweet little community. There are no community amenities (ie a pool, etc) and I'm not sure how much of a yard those homes have. I don't know the quality of builds that CalAlantic Homes produces, but it is probably the best deal in area as far as new construction and being zoned to a good elem and high school.

The Reserve does have direct access to a nearby park and neighborhoods for walking/biking. Curious if they have the same agreement with Spring Branch ISD as the other communities do as far as middle school goes, but you could ask.

The Long Point Fault does cross through The Reserve but it appears the developers have taken it account by placing drainage culverts and green space where the fault lies. Keep in mind it is a slump fault, meaning that while the fault is active the offset changes are in inches, not feet, and the deformation zone is only about 20'-80' wide (depending what side you are on). As long as your house is not built directly on the fault it shouldn't be an issue. The developer should be able to provide you with a geologic survey of the community.

If schools aren't a huge issue there is another David Weekly community at Silber and Westview called Westview Manor. The homes there start at the same price point as Reserve at Mortiz. It seems to have the same amenities as the Village at SB; a pool, HOA covers yard work, trash and water. The area is safe but not as walkable as it is located near two busier roads vs next to a neighborhood.

Westview Manor - City Home Series Houston TX Home Builder, New Homes | David Weekley Homes

Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRunner View Post
As far as I can tell, from the one time I drove through it, it appears to be a sweet little community. There are no community amenities (ie a pool, etc) and I'm not sure how much of a yard those homes have. I don't know the quality of builds that CalAlantic Homes produces, but it is probably the best deal in area as far as new construction and being zoned to a good elem and high school.

The Reserve does have direct access to a nearby park and neighborhoods for walking/biking. Curious if they have the same agreement with Spring Branch ISD as the other communities do as far as middle school goes, but you could ask.

The Long Point Fault does cross through The Reserve but it appears the developers have taken it account by placing drainage culverts and green space where the fault lies. Keep in mind it is a slump fault, meaning that while the fault is active the offset changes are in inches, not feet, and the deformation zone is only about 20'-80' wide (depending what side you are on). As long as your house is not built directly on the fault it shouldn't be an issue. The developer should be able to provide you with a geologic survey of the community.

If schools aren't a huge issue there is another David Weekly community at Silber and Westview called Westview Manor. The homes there start at the same price point as Reserve at Mortiz. It seems to have the same amenities as the Village at SB; a pool, HOA covers yard work, trash and water. The area is safe but not as walkable as it is located near two busier roads vs next to a neighborhood.

Westview Manor - City Home Series Houston TX Home Builder, New Homes | David Weekley Homes
I never knew about "long point fault line" until you told me. Thanks for this information!
Maybe it's better to avoid this area all together? I don't like taking chances with my house when I can avoid when I can.

It keeps me thinking now.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 PM

156 posts, read 283,816 times
No reason to avoid the area, just do your homework. The fault has been well researched and mapped, hence why you ask for a geological survey.

Typically the homes that were built directly over it were back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM

Okay, I will do some research on it. This is interesting..

Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
There are fault lines all over the county. Some more pronounced than others. Google it. There is a map. I found it a couple of years ago.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
I looked extensively at homes in 77079 a few years back and after talking to a lot of people experienced in the area, the general consensus was that unless the structure was directly on a fault line, you were ok. The house sharing a property line with a home on the fault line is 100% okay.

But don't buy on the fault line. Absolutely deal killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: