Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
That doesn't really mean anything. If Dallas whites were more conservative, It would reflect in the numbers.
Usually Texans are more conservative. Southerners are too. Despite the promises made, Californians and Yankees haven't made a dent in turning Texans blue. It turns out these Orange County Republicans stay loyal to the party and espouse the Evangelical-Business axis of the Texas GOP or vote out of habit. It all lays in the demographic makeup! (Native Texans vs. Transplants voting patterns and ideological beliefs. They say one thing but do another. Humans are a complex lot!)

The creative class jobs are still on the coasts and that's where the blue tinge comes from. When I see those jobs start move to Texas, it's a sure sign that it will be a Democratic state again--but actually liberal, not yellow-dog center right!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 PM

163 posts, read 165,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
So what? The title of the thread is still true and the point still stands.
Because of the design peculiarities of the Houston metro, which I mentioned. Of course, this isn't getting into the peculiarities of just what may be happening (i.e. Whites may not be voting Democratic, but they might not be voting Republican either).

Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
I live in the Montgomery County part of The Woodlands. The total population of The Woodlands = more than 20% of the population of Montgomery County (I don't know how many residents of The Woodlands live in the Harris County portion). The last percentage figure I saw for the non-Hispanic White population of The Woodlands was just over 78%. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard The Woodlands derisively referred to as 'The Whitelands'. In 2012 Gingrich and Cain held their debates at the conference center at The Woodlands Resort. The Daily Caller ranked Montgomery County as the third most conservative county in the U.S., behind Williamson County, TN (Nashville Metro) at #1 and Gwinnett County, GA (near Atlanta) at #2. The last Democrat party candidate for POTUS to win Montgomery County was LBJ. In 2004 Bush got over 78% of the vote, and in 2008 McCain got over 75% of the vote. I remember over Christmas of 2008 (in California) having a conversation with one of my relatives about the 2008 election results. IIRC, Obama only won one precinct in Montgomery County (one that includes part of Downtown Conroe). I remember that some organization, obviously made up of Democrats, was already mobilizing to target precincts where McCain's margin was less than 10%...IIRC, that didn't include very many precincts. My relative was surprised by what I told her, even though one of her siblings lived at the time a stone's throw from Gwinnett County in Georgia.

All of the above didn't keep people from choosing Montgomery County as a place to live. Out of over 3,000 counties in the U.S., from 2000-2010 Montgomery County was the 24th fastest growing county in the U.S.

It will be interesting to see what happens 50+ days from now.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 PM

It should be noted that Greater Houston is home to the most established Democratic Party tradition in Texas, in the form of Galveston:
https://texasliberal.wordpress.com/t...emocrats-club/

Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 AM

In any rate, let's see what Nov 2016 has in store before saying anything for certain (especially when the entire premise is flawed to begin with).

Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think that would be San Antonio, but what does it matter and just what are you trying to suggest ?
It's San Antonio, but not by a huge amount (36% NH White for San Antonio vs 40% for Houston).

Old 09-17-2016, 11:15 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Kind of a moot point for me. Isn't Houston also the least white of the major metros?

CRICKETS!

Quote:
I think that would be San Antonio, but what does it matter and just what are you trying to suggest ?

Whats the matter Gunion has the cat got your tongue ?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
CRICKETS!

Whats the matter Gunion has the cat got your tongue ?
He will respond once he is on. People aren't on CD all the time.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:22 PM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Energy industry tends to vote Republican.
Smart people tend to vote Republican.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Smart people tend to vote Republican.
Meanwhile, intellectuals of all kinds throughout history have always held liberal beliefs. Innovation, creativity, and progress is stymied in conservative regimes. In the US, the Democratic party is the way to go for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston