Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altuve View Post
There's a tiny pocket park at the corner of Fannin and Cambridge that has a ton of homeless people, I think that is what the poster was referring to. I used to take my kids on the zoo train that goes right near there. Watched several homeless people urinate in front of us, swear loudly, drink alcohol, etc. Stopped taking my kids there after one aggressive guy wouldn't take no for an answer when seeking a few bucks. As of a year ago, there were tons of homeless people hanging out there.
That is not a pocket park, that is part of Hermann Park. Unfortunately, for this discussion, it's where the playground is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM

190 posts, read 212,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altuve View Post
There's a tiny pocket park at the corner of Fannin and Cambridge that has a ton of homeless people, I think that is what the poster was referring to. I used to take my kids on the zoo train that goes right near there. Watched several homeless people urinate in front of us, swear loudly, drink alcohol, etc. Stopped taking my kids there after one aggressive guy wouldn't take no for an answer when seeking a few bucks. As of a year ago, there were tons of homeless people hanging out there.
They aren't there anymore. The city cracked down on that area about 6 months ago after some OD's and that area is clear now.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:38 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
They aren't there anymore. The city cracked down on that area about 6 months ago after some OD's and that area is clear now.
Must be why they are all over 1960 now.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Don't they know it's too hot in Houston to walk anywhere outdoors?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
In the last few months, however, it seems to me the numbers and locations have grown to levels I do not remember seeing in the last 5 years, at least.
Actually I've been seeing loads of homeless people around Houston due to the oil bust within the past couple of years. They even popped up here in Cinco Ranch for a week or two last year. I saw a few competing with each other at Mason & Kingsland, down the street from the Kingsland Park & Ride, begging on the corner earlier this year. It's not just isolated in Downtown, Alief-Clodine & Dairy-Ashford in Alief has the persistent window-washer trick.

It's basically starting to spread out to other parts of the city and even in the suburbs (far exurbs!!!), not concentrate in Downtown anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
Isn't that related to Mayor Turner's crackdown on synthetic marijuana?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Homeless people in a big city. Sky is blue. Water is wet.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually I've been seeing loads of homeless people around Houston due to the oil bust within the past couple of years. They even popped up here in Cinco Ranch for a week or two last year. I saw a few competing with each other at Mason & Kingsland, down the street from the Kingsland Park & Ride, begging on the corner earlier this year. It's not just isolated in Downtown, Alief-Clodine & Dairy-Ashford in Alief has the persistent window-washer trick.

It's basically starting to spread out to other parts of the city and even in the suburbs (far exurbs!!!), not concentrate in Downtown anymore.
Umm, there's been beggars at major suburban intersections for at least the last 10 years, well outside the Beltway.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default My point...

This is not in Houston, but it would not surprise me if these people did not make a killing (no pun intended) here in Houston. This what makes me skeptical of many of these people. It causes me to stereotype, but you kind of have to in order to make a quick decision before the light turns green!

Facebook exposes TX panhandler using fake family photos to solicit donations - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Is there more homeless people out in Houston because Houston is mostly oil & gas employment, so that the economy down there suffered a lot?

I lived in Houston back in Nov 2007 to Feb 2009. Worked at Schlumberger and Jacobs ESCG. Both are suffering companies now. I used to love living in Houston, but now I like Chicago better. I came from Chicago to Houston back then, and didn't want to leave Houston. But coming to Chicago since 2009, Chicago has improved a lot!

But Chicago suffered a lot in the mfg areas I guess, as most products are made in China...

Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This is not in Houston, but it would not surprise me if these people did not make a killing (no pun intended) here in Houston. This what makes me skeptical of many of these people. It causes me to stereotype, but you kind of have to in order to make a quick decision before the light turns green!

Facebook exposes TX panhandler using fake family photos to solicit donations - Houston Chronicle
That's a bit much. Not every homeless person is a grifter. No need to be that jaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston