Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:01 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,803,028 times

Advertisements

I had two days of driving hell, literally pushed to the edge. Wednesday this lady slammed (rear ended) into my BMW doing about 40-50 while I am a stop light that just turned green and I am slowly rolling with the moving traffic, say 5 mph. I was like WTF? I have dash cams both front and back. Looking at the dash cam video she was looking at the phone the entire time. Unbelievable. Her insurance sure didn't like that video. Luckily I kept my distance with the car in front of me so I didn't hit that car. Most likely I will end up buying another car since I am sure the frame on mine is all effed up and I don't care how well they can fix it. Fairly new car. But at the end of the day is all metal and everyone was ok.

Today I go to the dealer collision center and I get in a rental after the insurance adjuster goes through the standard process. 11K worth of damage they say. A get a Volvo sedan from the rental. Driving home and not being used with this car a made a genuine mistake and cut some Chrysler guy off at about 70 mph. I admit a bit dangerous but really a genuine mistake and I swear I didn't see the guy, me culpa, blame it on me and the rental and me not being used with the visibility in this car. The Chrysler guys is going nuts next to my, I wave nicely, I make eye contact, I give him the I am sorry look, he still goes nuts goes around traffic pulls in front of me and slams his break at about 70-80 mph. I barely avoid colliding into him and as I go around him I pull on the left side of the freeway and encourage him to pull over as well. Maybe that was a mistake on my part. My intention was to avoid further road rage and stop puting everyone else at risk. I dial 911 immediately anticipating escalation while the guy pulls over in front of me and start driving back in reverse. He was furious and ready to go for a major fight. I turn the car phone speaker on with the 911 operator online and I apologize to him, say hey dude, really honest mistake lets calm down and move on. Told him this is rental car and I just didn't see you I am not yet used with it. The operator kept saying everyone calm down everyone calm down, mistakes hapen. They guy is not calming down asking me to get outta the car. He really wanted blood I guess. I politely said no, still apologizing and decided to roll up my window. That didn't do the trick either and he decided to grab me. The window was up about half way. But then he quickly realized there was a gun pointing at his chest and I don't think he liked the look on my face. Don't want to get into details but that did the trick. He jumped back like electrocuted, walked right back into his car and drove off at very high speed. The 911 operator never knew what happened and all she got is the guy decided to defuse the situation. She never asked for any other information and let it all go. Kind of strange if you ask me.

I am still very aggravated and mad at myself for being in such a difficult situation and having such bad week of driving. Genuine mistakes do happen but man does it really have to turn into road rages and violence? Is this what Houston traffic is becomimg? I am sure not everyone is like this but man this is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,809,055 times
I think the driving experience can be improved by not driving like Mad Max in vehicles you aren't used to. Staying off of phones is a good idea, too.

You can bet the second guy is wishing some bad karma on you at this moment.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,685,145 times
Two words: flying cars.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:47 PM

427 posts, read 442,356 times
Or Anger Management...

Old 10-14-2016, 07:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,731,327 times
Turn signals.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 PM

53 posts, read 82,910 times
Public transportation expansion

Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM

277 posts, read 305,973 times
I concur with your pain, passing at 70 is something people do everyday...blind spots people! There was no aggression, you did the right thing to pull over. We have lived here about two months and have witnessed four horrific crashes, almost always following too closely/changing lanes...
At 70 mph you need at least 4-5 car lengths to brake to a dead stop and avoid the car in front, so why do drivers give 4-5 Feet????
My daughter has driven for almost two years...she is a safe driver and cautious, but the lack of experience driving with maniacs is terrifying me! I have not let her drive alone here yet, I have had to save her twice in 2 weeks from idiots forcing their way in her lane...I have a sixth sense of scanning my mirrors and predicting which cars have a moronic driver...she assumes everyone follows the rules...big lessons.
These may help save another cross from being planted on the right of way:
1.Solid white lines....DO NOT CROSS
2.red lights...DO NOT RUN THEM
3.Bumper distance....4-5 Car lengths over 65 mph
4.GET OFF YOUR FLIPPING PHONE!!!
5.Don't drink and drive

Those five things will save a life, thankful you were not seriously hurt...sorry about your BMW..get a better car next go round..they have horrific maintenance issues

Last edited by ma23peas; 10-14-2016 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: To too two

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,028,206 times
Get a better car? Who asked you for your thoughts on the kind of car he drove? Aside from your comment being baseless, it's also completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Have you ever owned a BMW or are you making your claim based on one article you read somewhere once upon a time? Yeesh.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
I concur with your pain, passing at 70 is something people do everyday...blind spots people! There was no aggression, you did the right thing to pull over. We have lived here about two months and have witnessed four horrific crashes, almost always following too closely/changing lanes...
At 70 mph you need at least 4-5 car lengths to brake to a dead stop and avoid the car in front, so why do drivers give 4-5 Feet????
My daughter has driven for almost two years...she is a safe driver and cautious, but the lack of experience driving with maniacs is terrifying me! I have not let her drive alone here yet, I have had to save her twice in 2 weeks from idiots forcing their way in her lane...I have a sixth sense of scanning my mirrors and predicting which cars have a moronic driver...she assumes everyone follows the rules...big lessons.
These may help save another cross from being planted on the right of way:
1.Solid white lines....DO NOT CROSS
2.red lights...DO NOT RUN THEM
3.Bumper distance....4-5 Car lengths over 65 mph
4.GET OFF YOUR FLIPPING PHONE!!!
5.Don't drink and drive

Those five things will save a life, thankful you were not seriously hurt...sorry about your BMW..get a better car next go round..they have horrific maintenance issues
Seeing as how that decision resulted in a drawn firearm, I would have to disagree.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,570,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I had two days of driving hell, literally pushed to the edge. Wednesday this lady slammed (rear ended) into my BMW doing about 40-50 while I am a stop light that just turned green and I am slowly rolling with the moving traffic, say 5 mph. I was like WTF? I have dash cams both front and back. Looking at the dash cam video she was looking at the phone the entire time. Unbelievable. Her insurance sure didn't like that video. Luckily I kept my distance with the car in front of me so I didn't hit that car. Most likely I will end up buying another car since I am sure the frame on mine is all effed up and I don't care how well they can fix it. Fairly new car. But at the end of the day is all metal and everyone was ok.

Today I go to the dealer collision center and I get in a rental after the insurance adjuster goes through the standard process. 11K worth of damage they say. A get a Volvo sedan from the rental. Driving home and not being used with this car a made a genuine mistake and cut some Chrysler guy off at about 70 mph. I admit a bit dangerous but really a genuine mistake and I swear I didn't see the guy, me culpa, blame it on me and the rental and me not being used with the visibility in this car. The Chrysler guys is going nuts next to my, I wave nicely, I make eye contact, I give him the I am sorry look, he still goes nuts goes around traffic pulls in front of me and slams his break at about 70-80 mph. I barely avoid colliding into him and as I go around him I pull on the left side of the freeway and encourage him to pull over as well. Maybe that was a mistake on my part. My intention was to avoid further road rage and stop puting everyone else at risk. I dial 911 immediately anticipating escalation while the guy pulls over in front of me and start driving back in reverse. He was furious and ready to go for a major fight. I turn the car phone speaker on with the 911 operator online and I apologize to him, say hey dude, really honest mistake lets calm down and move on. Told him this is rental car and I just didn't see you I am not yet used with it. The operator kept saying everyone calm down everyone calm down, mistakes hapen. They guy is not calming down asking me to get outta the car. He really wanted blood I guess. I politely said no, still apologizing and decided to roll up my window. That didn't do the trick either and he decided to grab me. The window was up about half way. But then he quickly realized there was a gun pointing at his chest and I don't think he liked the look on my face. Don't want to get into details but that did the trick. He jumped back like electrocuted, walked right back into his car and drove off at very high speed. The 911 operator never knew what happened and all she got is the guy decided to defuse the situation. She never asked for any other information and let it all go. Kind of strange if you ask me.

I am still very aggravated and mad at myself for being in such a difficult situation and having such bad week of driving. Genuine mistakes do happen but man does it really have to turn into road rages and violence? Is this what Houston traffic is becomimg? I am sure not everyone is like this but man this is scary.
Get his license plate and post it on the internet. Better yet, install a dash cam in your cam and record your adventures driving home from work. That way you can record and post on youtube so we can all see. This is so much better than road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston