Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

My house is the one the lowest point in our subdivision. It is also in a cul de sac. Continuous heavy rains floods our cul de sac and the possibility of water coming into the front part of our house is a reality. Our M.U.D installed a drain, but is no longer sufficient. Without going to the MUD again, I fear it is now my problem until i can fight to get some help. Is there any kind of drainage that can be installed on our property to deflect the water from coming into the front part of my house? I am thinking some kind of landscaping but cannot find or ask for the right kind of drainage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,408 times
Please help with drainage from heavy rains into my house!!

Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
maybe contact a drainage company for advice. I had a sub pump put in for drainage. maybe French drains would help also.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Sump...

I had to get a sump put in my yard for that as well. I live in Montrose and have an old house with newer construction next door which would cause flooding. Before we moved in, we spent 14K having the sills replaced, and house leveled and lifted. So in order to protect that investment, and the house in general, I had to dig a 3x4 foot hole, insert a sump and drain to the lowest point under the house. Now when we get those 3-7 inch rains, the sump takes it all out before it collects.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
We have French drains in our backyard. It really helps.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
- Aren't basic sewer drains out in the streets?
- Don't the bayou's get rain water drainage from neighborhoods?
- Are there not 2 sewer lines in the Houston region for sewage and another for street runoff?

Northern States sometimes have sump-pumps in basements to gather around-foundation excess water, especially if sewers are above basement floor levels. I know Chicago has these in areas finished basements need better protection for the investment.
I know virtually all homes are on slabs in Housto and Dallas, with no basements and ditches exist in older Houston areas for run-off but homes in flood-plains should not get built. But no zoning allows it I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: