Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,800,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Then that is just your personal tastes. I thought you were talking about blight not just the fact that there are chain stores and strip malls. If they're not unkempt and battered then what is the issue? That you're just another type that thinks a strip mall is objectively unaestheticly pleasing?
Well, there's a reason you won't find a Walmart or a Subway alongside most of the world's beaches. Because most people would find that distasteful. Quirky but still ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,025,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Everything ultimately comes down to personal taste. Galveston is no exception. Treasurevalley stated the reason he or she likes Galveston is because of its dumpy characteristics. I get the point. It does portray a relaxed or unconcerned attitude that I can see as being consistent with the beach culture.

Galveston is fascinating for how polarizing it is. Some people absolutely love it and others think it's a dumpy armpit. At the very least, people have to give it credit for not being fake.

Full disclosure, I'm more of a mountain than a beach guy to begin with. I don't really understand the draw of sitting on a beach. For what it's worth, a large part of my vacation satisfaction is dependent on how aesthetically pleasing it is to me.
I agree it's all a matter of personal taste but when you try to use it as an objective argument for why Galveston is a dump is another matter entirely. For instance, I thought the last poster was talking about blight as far as criticizing Galveston which I find a reasonable argument. I am not one of those hipster types that can see beauty is all things dumpy, but the poster said "chain stores and strip malls" as if chain stores and strip malls are bad in and of themselves. So even if they're nicely kept and maintained, they're an eyesore? CA beaches are loaded with strip malls too but they get a pass because they're built with Spanish style roofs? All of Santa Barbara's downtown is a giant outdoor mall with chain stores. Does that make it any less beautiful?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, there's a reason you won't find a Walmart or a Subway alongside most of the world's beaches. Because most people would find that distasteful. Quirky but still ugly.
I found both in Destin, FL and that beach will run laps around most beaches in the country. Face it, it's a personal taste you're trying to pass off as objective fact.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,514,477 times
Quote:
Now show the rest of Seawall Blvd. that's filled with strip malls and chains.
No, you show me what you are talking about. It is up to you to support your own contentions...

Quote:
Everything ultimately comes down to personal taste. Galveston is no exception. Treasurevalley stated the reason he or she likes Galveston is because of its dumpy characteristics. I get the point. It does portray a relaxed or unconcerned attitude that I can see as being consistent with the beach culture.

Galveston is fascinating for how polarizing it is. Some people absolutely love it and others think it's a dumpy armpit. At the very least, people have to give it credit for not being fake.

Full disclosure, I'm more of a mountain than a beach guy to begin with. I don't really understand the draw of sitting on a beach. For what it's worth, a large part of my vacation satisfaction is dependent on how aesthetically pleasing it is to me.
See this is frustrating even people who seemingly have no interest in the discussion feel the need to chime in ,in some derogatory manor dissing Galveston. I guess no place in Texas really fits your eclectic standards..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I found both in Destin, FL and that beach will run laps around most beaches in the country. Face it, it's a personal taste you're trying to pass off as objective fact.
I never used the words "objective" or "fact", and nothing in my post should have been construed as anything other than an opinion. You can go ahead and call it "personal" taste as if I'm in some small minority of people, but I think we know better than that.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No, you show me what you are talking about. It is up to you to support your own contentions...
I'm posting from my phone so I can't (don't know how to) embed Maps links. But if you do actually need proof of what I'm saying you do know where to find it.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I never used the words "objective" or "fact", and nothing in my post should have been construed as anything other than an opinion. You can go ahead and call it "personal" taste as if I'm in some small minority of people, but I think we know better than that.
You were arguing as though strip malls and chain stores are ugly in and of themselves with no qualifiers. I thought your arguments before were about blight but your response to the poster who posted the google maps pic of the seawall was that he was avoiding to show the strip malls and chain stores.

It's even worse that you're using some imaginary consensus that most people agree with you. Most people don't care as long as it doesn't look like a blight and it's well maintained. You're citing the small amount of urban purists who are vocal one websites such as CD, not the vast majority of people around the world.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

See this is frustrating even people who seemingly have no interest in the discussion feel the need to chime in ,in some derogatory manor dissing Galveston. I guess no place in Texas really fits your eclectic standards..
Well, I have been to other beaches before in TX, FL, SC, CA, HI and the Caribbean, so I do have some knowledge of beaches. Plus, I really enjoy reading your desperate white knight posts defending the honor of Galveston.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM

For me, it's okay that Houston-Galveston is kind of ugly. It honestly doesn't bother me much. They more than make up for it in other areas. There are tons of beautiful cities I would never want to live in.

There's still room for improvement on the island, though. I'd like to see more palms planted down there.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I have been to other beaches before in TX, FL, SC, CA, HI and the Caribbean, so I do have some knowledge of beaches. Plus, I really enjoy reading your desperate white knight posts defending the honor of Galveston.
But this is the thing, I don't think and have never thought of anyone actually comparing Galveston to those other beaches and actual making the claim that they're better or as nice. The argument has always been that it's a decent beach and people are actually underrating it. It's more of a reasonable outlook on the island than straight up hyperbole.

Yet not even that is allowed. Nothing will make people satisfied until it's made known to everyone in here that Galveston is a stinking hellhole. That pretty much goes for anytime anyone shows the remotest sense of price in Texas cities. It's a reasonable way of saying, you know what it isn't that bad, there are worse, and having the other side chime in and saying, "no, sir, it's the pits and anything to contrary is just boosting".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston