Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:21 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
If a house would cost $15k a year to insure in a competitive, unsubsidized market, by virtue of its probability of flooding and expected cost of repair, then many would argue that it simply shouldn't be there. Or at the least should be elevated.
That may be true, but it's pretty unfair to change the rules in the middle of the game, or on folks who had nothing to do with the transition of their property from safe to flood prone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That may be true, but it's pretty unfair to change the rules in the middle of the game, or on folks who had nothing to do with the transition of their property from safe to flood prone.
Valid point. We talked to our neighbors who have lived where we are for 40+ years. Not once had they seen Flewellen break its banks until Cross Creek Ranch was developed, which drains into Flewellen; they never would have dreamed of the kind of flooding we saw last April.

Converting open pasture land to suburbia and funneling all of that water runoff into one tiny creek is bound to have consequences, especially for those downstream of the development.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:09 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I wonder if the Harris county flood control district is paying any attention ?

The cost of federal flood insurance will likely rise for thousands of Houston-area homeowners after Congress hits its September deadline to renew and reform the deeply troubled program.
The National Flood Insurance Program was created because private insurers couldn't bear the risk of catastrophic loss, but the program is $24.6 billion in debt and struggling to remain solvent. It covers more than 300,000 homes in Harris and Galveston counties.
"The program offers rates that do not fully reflect the risk of flooding." the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded in a report last month.

Deep in debt, flood insurance program expected to boost rates - Houston Chronicle
Sigh... This just became my reality now.

My house had flood claims for the 3 major storms: Allison, Tax Day 2016, and Harvey. Very unusual in our area so I thought. I had water seeped through the front rooms, and did not have high water but still needed to claim. Each claim was less than $10K.

My premium was below $400 for years and years. Just received the new billing, premium jumped to over $2100 . Looking through the latest flood map, I'm still not in high risk of flooding area nor in the 100/500 yr risk . With such low risk, am I going to pay that much for flood insurance?!? Heck no, because I no longer can afford it on a disability fixed income. Sigh... Guess, just need to tighten up my belt a bit more from here on, and add more $$ to rainy days instead of buying such high flood insurance premium. No more peace of mind

I'm gathering, this will hit many homes since many were struck with the same 3 major storms/floods. Any of you are going through the same?

Last edited by NTT; 05-05-2018 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,998 times
i will never understand the people who live in high risk neighborhoods

Just sell your house and move to a safer sam priced neighborhood

Simple as that

Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Sigh... This just became my reality now.

My house had flood claims for the 3 major storms: Allison, Tax Day 2016, and Harvey. Very unusual in our area so I thought. I had water seeped through the front rooms, and did not have high water but still needed to claim. Each claim was less than $10K.

My premium was below $400 for years and years. Just received the new billing, premium jumped to over $2100 . Looking through the latest flood map, I'm still not in high risk of flooding area nor in the 100/500 yr risk . With such low risk, am I going to pay that much for flood insurance?!? Heck no, because I no longer can afford it on a disability fixed income. Sigh... Guess, just need to tighten up my belt a bit more from here on, and add more $$ to rainy days instead of buying such high flood insurance premium. No more peace of mind

I'm gathering, this will hit many homes since many were struck with the same 3 major storms/floods. Any of you are going through the same?

Sorry but my flood insurance premium stayed about the same, less than $300 for 1st floor coverage of about $50k

Old 05-06-2018, 12:37 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Simple as that
Let me try to explain it ....

If a family sells their house in a flood prone area,
now the family that bought the house, lives in that house

Old 05-06-2018, 07:27 AM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:

Simple as that
If only it was simple as that...

Old 05-06-2018, 02:37 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:

Simple as that
Do you really think that all who flooded are our village idiots?

I know of no one who would buy a house they knew would flood. Except maybe beach houses.

Some of these places were high and dry until we drained the aquifers and poured tons of concrete. Houston is unique in that we have several kinds of flooding. Rising water as in creeks and sheet or street flooding. It could happen anywhere to anybody.

Where do you think all that fast runoff from the new freeways and shopping centers goes. Into the same watershed that has always been there.

It took years of begging by lots of people for the county to require retention or detention ponds. The builders just dug a hole and used the fill to make the lots higher. There was no gain. Some say all new building has retention ponds. Eighteen acres are being developed next to me. They didn't put the ponds under the parking lot.

Now the city and the county want all new construction to be above the level of the 500 year flood plain, wherever that is. Now some of these new subdivision were in low spots. Fill them all in and where will the water that used to go there go? On the houses that were high and dry for years.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:19 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:

Simple as that

Brilliant advice! Can you make your post public so that I can share with all the flooded folks? They've been wondering what to do for months.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
One step in de-subsidizing sprawl in a flood zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston