Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,553,352 times

Advertisements

I am trying to hire someone for a Junior Accountant position in Houston over around 290 and Beltway 8. This is not an advertisement for that position, rather I am trying to get some input on where the best place is to post this position for people in Houston, with emphasis on the bookkeeping/accounting field in West/Northwest Houston.

I have a posting account at Indeed.com and I have posted at the Between Jobs Ministry, which is popular with a lot of job hunters. I am reluctant to post at either CareerBuilder or Monster, as my goal is not to get 25 million resumes, it is to get as preferably more like 10-20 from people who really are a good fit for the job. I know I will not be able to control the response to this degree, but you get the idea. I am also steering away from headhunters because I do not want to pay them and I am not sure that I generally trust them all that much either.

Anyway, does anyone have any helpful insights on some great Houston-oriented recruiting venues that I may have overlooked for a position like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 42,328 times
You might consider reaching out to the local universities. The schools have job boards that both students, recent graduates, and other alumni review. Here is UH's: https://careercenter.bauer.uh.edu/re...-our-students/

Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,306,824 times
If you have a linkedin profile you can try posting there as a status... You can search through local profiles and contact people you may like... Is it like a temp job? Do you have HR who usually handles this kind of stuff?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:34 PM

391 posts, read 426,484 times
I was going to suggest the universities (and/or junior colleges) too. You should probably decide exactly what qualifications you need for the position and look for the right level of applicant. Do you need a part time, non-degreed bookkeeper? A fresh grad (may or may not be CPA eligible)? A licensed accountant with public accounting experience?

The more accurately you can describe the position the better you can reach your desired applicants and try to prevent the 25-Miliion-resumes effect.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,970,970 times
I've found professional organizations are always great places for jobs.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
If you have a linkedin profile you can try posting there as a status... You can search through local profiles and contact people you may like... Is it like a temp job? Do you have HR who usually handles this kind of stuff?
The job is permanent and we do not have HR, hence my personally taking the lead on this. I did post the job description as a status update on linked in, but got nothing back. I got more replies than I wanted on Indeed.com, but most were underqualified, with nearly all of the rest being well overqualified.

What I would really like is a couple of good personal referral candidates.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
I was going to suggest the universities (and/or junior colleges) too. You should probably decide exactly what qualifications you need for the position and look for the right level of applicant. Do you need a part time, non-degreed bookkeeper? A fresh grad (may or may not be CPA eligible)? A licensed accountant with public accounting experience?

The more accurately you can describe the position the better you can reach your desired applicants and try to prevent the 25-Million-resumes effect.
I think I know what I am looking for. I would prefer an accounting degree, but that is not critical if they have some solid accounting class hours under their belt, almost certainly including both semesters of intermediate financial accounting, and also some solid bookkeeping experience, ideally including some payroll and some experience with basic GL accounting, reconciliations and month end close. I do not need a CPA and I am probably not looking for a new hire straight out of college.

Anyway, what I am looking for in this thread is some good ideas on how to locate this person in Houston, preferably not living too far from our offices, without using a headhunter and without having to navigate a virtual tsunami of resumes along the way.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 04-05-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 PM

115 posts, read 147,456 times
You can add a questionnaire to a Career Builder posting to filter applicants.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,306,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The job is permanent and we do not have HR, hence my personally taking the lead on this. I did post the job description as a status update on linked in, but got nothing back. I got more replies than I wanted on Indeed.com, but most were underqualified, with nearly all of the rest being well overqualified.

What I would really like is a couple of good personal referral candidates.
how many ppl are in your network on linkedin? There are specific groups you can join and just increase your network so more ppl see your status updates.. I haven't used zip recruiter but you might want to try it out

Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM

150 posts, read 218,901 times
If you add the salary information it will reduce the number of overqualified people who apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: