Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 PM

31 posts, read 38,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
My husband and I aren’t from TX or a small flyover town and we like living in Houston. We are from big east coast cities. As far as the dirtiness of Houston goes, have you ever been back east? Travel through Philadelphia sometime. Let me know what you see.
Haven't been to Philly yet, I have been to NYC and DC. For someone like me who prefers urban living, Philly seems like a much better place. Cost of housing in central Philly seems lower than inner loop Houston? The architecture, the urban built environment seems well above Houston!
Those city pics look great: http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/...-philadelphia/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you haven't been to the Museum District, Rice U, Rice Village area.
I mentioned earlier that Rice Village is a shopping center and many shops are in a strip center. You should travel more if you think those are urban/walkable neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
We shouldn't even make that sound like an apology. Houston has urban suburbs, something any place built before the car lacks. I have family who are suburban Londoners and the parts of Houston that blow them away are places like River Oaks, West U, Boulevard Oaks, etc. The idea that you can have it all -- big house, big yard, big cars, but still walk to trendy restaurants, night clubs, live jazz, whatever, leave the house 30 minutes before the Opera starts and still make it in time for a pre-show cocktail -- makes Houston seem like an upper-middle class fantasy world to them.
Many pre-war built cities have "urban suburbs" close-in neighborhoods with single family detached homes, decent size yards, even garage for cars, and within walking distance to lively street-front retail and public transportation. Have you ever been to Seattle (Queen Anne, East Capital Hill), Portland (Irvington, Laurelhurst), even in San Francisco (Sunset, Richmond, and other hoods more closer-in, but they are insanely expensive). You can easily find a SFH with a yard, in many close-in Chicago neighborhoods within walking distance to L and street-front retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you just proved you aren't familiar with those areas. And most aren't over a million with 30k property taxes. You would probably like those tacky 5+1s they are putting up everywhere and turning most of Seattle into.
Its a good thing if Houston is trying to be like Seattle. Imagine of Houston's ghost-town downtown was that lively!

Last edited by CityPlanning; 02-05-2018 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM

292 posts, read 245,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Exxon did not get tax breaks. They pay more in property taxes now than ever. There were some tax benefits associated with the office at Hughes Landing in The Woodlands, but those went to the developer, and probably aren't passed down to XOM in the full amount. Anadarko may have received some breaks for their building in The Woodlands, but I haven't seen anything definitive.
I lived out there for over a decade...this information was discussed quite often, often at the appropriate civic meetings. As an aside, the citizens were all for pursuing more large Corporate concerns for relocation within the area. Trust me, they would love it if several more large corporations showed interest in the area. Property taxes are high in Texas generally speaking, it has been a bone of contention here for years. So I am sure Exxon's property tax is rather large, but there were still tax incentives and other perks to sweeten the pot and increase interest in the area. I am sure the developer as well as Exxon got tax benefits., no argument there. It is well known, both in The Woodlands and within Anadarko employee circles that there were tax credits given to the company. I heard and was told so directly by the employees...once again, no one disapproved.

This should come as no surprise, since many states and municipalities actually advertise nationality about their tax incentive plans...I think we have all seen the New York ads regarding such on local and cable channels.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
Jack, I am married to someone who has been in O+G for his whole life, over 40+ years. And you know what? I am aware that Oscar and Lynn reside in Houston.....guess who moved us down to Texas? That's why I quoted him, and I actually like the quote. BTW, excellent to work for He is a self man man.

What you stated above RE: consolidation is based on the industrial end of the industry. Exxon and BP are examples of "The monoliths" in industry terms. Many self owned, smaller forms are still located in Dallas. Many publicly held companies too.

Dallas has stricter zoning laws and the land is typically more expensive, these issues can affect where businesses will lay out large North American headquarters.

Exxon got huge tax breaks relocating just outside of The Woodlands. Anadarko received the tax incentives also. I believe they will continue to receive "excellent treatment" tax wise for quite some time....
Yea , yea, yea zoning is the bomb, call the Mayor if you don't like Houstons zoning deficiencies.

You posted that corporate offices were chomping at the bit to get out of Houston, then I posted that was not the case, then you come back and post that corporations get tax breaks for locating in Houston which may be true, but they get tax breaks wherever they go. This train of thought is too disjointed to comprehend. So I'm going to let you collect your thoughts and try again, some other time..

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-05-2018 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Does Oscar and Lynn know you have this attitude toward Houston ?

Yea , yea, yea zoning is the bomb, call the Mayor if you don't like Houstons zoning deficiencies.

You posted that corporate offices were chomping at the bit to get out of Houston, then I posted that was not the case, then you come back and post that corporations get tax breaks for locating in Houston which may be true, but they get tax breaks wherever they go. This train of thought is too disjointed to comprehend. So I'm going to let you collect your thoughts and try again, some other time..

Let's get the record straight, Jack......: Next time quote the whole post, don't cherry pick....

RE: The mention of corporate Tax breaks, which were in The Woodlands area. Most of The Woodlands is in Montgomery Country, not Harris Country. There are new sections in Creekside Village that are in North Harris county. Part of Exxon's Campus is located in North Harris county, with other Exxon office space located in The Woodlands. Anadarko is wholly in The Woodlands. I commented on Tax breaks in The Woodlands as a definitive, not those thru the Harris county Tax rolls.

The school district is CISD, Conroe Independent School District. Not HISD except in the Creekside Village area.

The Woodlands in now larger than Nashville, and is in the process of becoming a city.

RE: My mention of Tax Incentives used in other states to attract business? Logical thought procession considering the topic

RE: The mention of Zoning in my post, which, BTW, you did not use to quote me correctly, but just to be snarky? Collect my thoughts and try again another time? Sounds a wee bit sexist there, Jack! Just tell the Little lady to realize her place, huh? I don't think so...dear

I mentioned zoning RE: Dallas, Why? Because cities that have zoning are typically more expensive to build large corporate campuses and other corporate assets in. This makes Houston environs cheaper in that instance.

Directly quote my remark, do not take it out of context and call my train of thought too disjointed to comprehend. This is business, not emotionalism based on your "Love of Houston", Jack.

Your love of Houston does not surprise me, as my realtor warned me that "Most Houstonians would never criticize where they live, as it would only make them look stupid to do so" Why? "Because no one would admit to living somewhere that they disliked" I have no problem with your love of where you live, but do not expect all comers to share all your opinions of the city. There are probably things that I appreciate in Houston, that you might not. We do not all share "One Brain" here in Houston. We are all entitled to our own thoughts and constructive criticisms .

As far as the Lynn and Oscar comment...why don't you go tell them that the citizens are concerned regarding Houston growth and its attending issues? Wow, like this would surprise them! Business owners concern themselves with flooding, traffic flow, crime, and public imagine within the state, the country as well as internationally.

No one is picking on Houstonians, the culture, etc....but citizens( be they native or transplants) will concern themselves with issues which effect their investment in their property as well as public safety and quality of life issues.

Last edited by Celiene61; 02-05-2018 at 11:47 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Quote:
Nor are you, my dear With your condescending attitude towards anyone who does not agree with you.
People are free to their opinions. Just expect them to get countered when their statements are off.

In all fairness, your arguments are a lot more reasonable in this thread than they have been in the previous threads I've seen you. But it's still a wee bit "off tangent" to go on about corporate relocations, given the title of the thread.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
The Woodlands in now larger than Nashville, and is in the process of becoming a city.
Before we go any further please explain how you could make a statement as ridicules as the one above ?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Oh here we go again......another planner who knows everything...
While a lot of what you say may be true...we have been on this merry go round too many times to care

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPlanning View Post
Haven't been to Philly yet, I have been to NYC and DC. For someone like me who prefers urban living, Philly seems like a much better place. Cost of housing in central Philly seems lower than inner loop Houston? The architecture, the urban built environment seems well above Houston!
Those city pics look great: The Best Places to Shop in Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

I mentioned earlier that Rice Village is a shopping center and many shops are in a strip center. You should travel more if you think those are urban/walkable neighborhoods.

Many pre-war built cities have "urban suburbs" close-in neighborhoods with single family detached homes, decent size yards, even garage for cars, and within walking distance to lively street-front retail and public transportation. Have you ever been to Seattle (Queen Anne, East Capital Hill), Portland (Irvington, Laurelhurst), even in San Francisco (Sunset, Richmond, and other hoods more closer-in, but they are insanely expensive). You can easily find a SFH with a yard, in many close-in Chicago neighborhoods within walking distance to L and street-front retail.

Its a good thing if Houston is trying to be like Seattle. Imagine of Houston's ghost-town downtown was that lively!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
People are free to their opinions. Just expect them to get countered when their statements are off.

In all fairness, your arguments are a lot more reasonable in this thread than they have been in the previous threads I've seen you. But it's still a wee bit "off tangent" to go on about corporate relocations, given the title of the thread.
Texyn, when you counter my statements, or anyone else's that you find erroneous perhaps you should back your opinions with fact. AND, make sure you copy AND post whichever opinion or comment that troubles you.

Pot, Kettle, Black? You often are not open to other posters countering your opinions, so do not go lecturing others.

We have personally engaged before regarding topics such as "Houston Weather and Air Quality " and the direction of "High Density housing in Houston" on prior threads.....you even went as far as suggesting that I agreed with you on all issues, even when I politely and succinctly stated otherwise in those threads. Then you proceeded to move the conversation over to my PM, were you repeatedly sent messages stating that I actually agree with you on all your postings....

I finally ignored your last message as I felt that you might have had some sort of personal issues, stalking me via PM to continue your self righteous agenda.

RE: Going off "Topic" on this or any thread? Just. Really?

The threads often go off tangent here on the Houston subsection of City Data, and one tends to follow the prevailing conversation as the thread goes along.

BTW, you have been guilty of such quite often

Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Before we go any further please explain how you could make a statement as ridicules as the one above ?
This post does not even deserve the dignity of a reply.....as you know better, Sir! Play fair in the sandbox or get out....do not take one comment, taken out of context, and attack over intent. Just. Plain. Wrong.

Jack, as I stated before....( shaking head in utter disbelief...) post and quote the whole original post of which the Comment in question was made, otherwise how in the h*ll is anyone going to know what you are ranting on about? Don't go cherry picking one sentence and expect anyone to reply intelligently to you. Because at this point, you sound like an idiot.

I have been more than succinct in my previous replies to you...and last night your response to me was a bunch of bullock that almost sounded like someone had too many cocktails....

But no worries, you are now on the ignore list...As I do not deal with people who attempt to play rude little mind games.....

Last edited by Celiene61; 02-06-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Let's get the record straight, Jack......: Next time quote the whole post, don't cherry pick....

RE: The mention of corporate Tax breaks, which were in The Woodlands area. Most of The Woodlands is in Montgomery Country, not Harris Country. There are new sections in Creekside Village that are in North Harris county. Part of Exxon's Campus is located in North Harris county, with other Exxon office space located in The Woodlands. Anadarko is wholly in The Woodlands. I commented on Tax breaks in The Woodlands as a definitive, not those thru the Harris county Tax rolls.

The school district is CISD, Conroe Independent School District. Not HISD except in the Creekside Village area.

RE: My mention of Tax Incentives used in other states to attract business? Logical thought procession considering the topic

RE: The mention of Zoning in my post, which, BTW, you did not use to quote me correctly, but just to be snarky? Collect my thoughts and try again another time? Sounds a wee bit sexist there, Jack! Just tell the Little lady to realize her place, huh? I don't think so...dear

I mentioned zoning RE: Dallas, Why? Because cities that have zoning are typically more expensive to build large corporate campuses and other corporate assets in. This makes Houston environs cheaper in that instance.

Directly quote my remark, do not take it out of context and call my train of thought too disjointed to comprehend. This is business, not emotionalism based on your "Love of Houston", Jack.

Your love of Houston does not surprise me, as my realtor warned me that "Most Houstonians would never criticize where they live, as it would only make them look stupid to do so" Why? "Because no one would admit to living somewhere that they disliked" I have no problem with your love of where you live, but do not expect all comers to share all your opinions of the city. There are probably things that I appreciate in Houston, that you might not. We do not all share "One Brain" here in Houston. We are all entitled to our own thoughts and constructive criticisms .

As far as the Lynn and Oscar comment...why don't you go tell them that the citizens are concerned regarding Houston growth and its attending issues? Wow, like this would surprise them! Business owners concern themselves with flooding, traffic flow, crime, and public imagine within the state, the country as well as internationally.

No one is picking on Houstonians, the culture, etc....but citizens( be they native or transplants) will concern themselves with issues which effect their investment in their property as well as public safety and quality of life issues.
Ok there is the "whole" quote. ^^^^^ The statement in question, is a single sentence paragraph that has no other context. So would you now answer the question, how could you make such a ridicules statement ? Do you really believe The Woodlands is larger than Nashville ?

Quote:
This post does not even deserve the dignity of a reply.....as you know better, Sir!

Jack, post and quote the whole original posting of which that Comment was made, don't go cherry picking one sentence and expect anyone to reply intelligently to you. Because at this point, you sound like an idiot.

I have been more than succinct in my previous replies to you...and last night your response to me was a bunch of bullock that almost sounded like someone had too many cocktails....
Someone may be giving themselves away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston