Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 AM

247 posts, read 379,740 times

Advertisements

Can a small family still have a fun and comfortable time visiting the beaches south of houston (not galveston) in July? may be the only time we can visit but I know the weather is brutal during that time of year. Is it even worth it?

We were thinking port aransas after july 4 (i know this is close to corpus but that thread is so small and i figured people in Houston know just as well_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:05 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
Can a small family still have a fun and comfortable time visiting the beaches south of houston (not galveston) in July? may be the only time we can visit but I know the weather is brutal during that time of year. Is it even worth it?

We were thinking port aransas after july 4 (i know this is close to corpus but that thread is so small and i figured people in Houston know just as well_
The questions I would have is where are you traveling from, and how long of a time frame are we dealing with ?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
The next-nearest beach area is Surfside Beach in Brazoria County. It's a fun place, quieter than Galveston.

Remember Galveston Island is long, so you could be on the quiet west side of the island and avoid the east side (where the bulk of the city is).

Old 04-30-2017, 10:20 AM

coming from dallas but never have been that way before - we have a little one and will have a few days off in july, looking for something to do, want to go to beach....

Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
If you want to go east of Galveston there's also Bolivar Peninsula (just a ferry ride away from Galveston).

Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
coming from dallas but never have been that way before - we have a little one and will have a few days off in july, looking for something to do, want to go to beach....

Holiday weekends at any beach can be really hectic , make sure you have reservations for lodging wherever you go. But the answer to your OP question is YES, you can have a lot of fun at the beach in July. Summer is when most people go to the beach and one reason they do is to beat the heat, so to speak. I'm sure you understand how to protect yourself and your little one from too much sun at the beach, as with anywhere you may go in the great outdoors. If you can have a couple of full days at your destination, I think it would be well worth the trip. Like vicman said don't rule out the west end of Galveston for that will save you 3 maybe 4 hours each way in driving time, but wherever you choose enjoy

Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
More to do in Galveston than Port A. FYI they allow driving on the beach in Port A, which I never liked with small kids.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I've heard a lot of good things about PA. A lot of my family prefers to go there instead of Galveston. What's it like? Is it worth the three hour drive from Houston?

Old 04-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I think Port A is well worth the drive. I spent my high school years near Surfside Beach (Freeport area) and the beach is not very pretty, and doesn't have nice places to stay. On the other hand, if you're more interested in wildlife than a classic tourist beach vacation, the Surfside area may interest you.

Port Aransas (the north part of North Padre Island) has fairly pretty beaches, a long fishing pier, surf shops, restaurants, and an over all beach vacation feel.

I'd recommend The Dunes Condominiums right by the fishing pier and restaurants, or if you're looking for a very luxurious stay, the Aransas Princess further south down the island away from the hub of restaurants and shops.

The ferry at Point Park is a wonderful place to watch dolphins in very late afternoon.

One problem with port aransas beaches, is unexpectedly they might suddenly have a huge swell of seaweed that piles up. Usually the beaches are fairly clean.

Below is the Dunes "beach cam" where you can look at the condition of the shore and weather from the roof of the Dunes Condos.

The Dunes Condominiums - Video & Webcam - Port Aransas, Texas

Old 04-30-2017, 03:10 PM

guess my concern would be overwhelming humidity and mosquito making the vacation bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston