Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 PM

109 posts, read 115,221 times

Advertisements

I am interested in identifying areas where home flooding occurred outside of the mapped flood plains in zip codes 77058, 77059, and 77062.

I have been examining maps available online from FEMA and HCFCD and checking them against areas of flooded houses. So far it appears that homes in or next to the 100-yr flood plain were likely to have flooded during Harvey unless protected by local factors, especially elevation above street level.

However simply using the 500-yr flood plain would have greatly over-predicted home flooding. For example the 500-yr flood plan map available from ESRI ArcGIS Online shows that almost all of Bay Knoll / Bay Glen would have been covered by water but that did not occur.

I appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:01 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Only a very few home in clear lake flooded. Not a
Significant number in any of those zip codes.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Only a very few home in clear lake flooded. Not a
Significant number in any of those zip codes.
True, there was not a lot of flooding relative to other portions of Houston. There are flooded homes in Clear Lake City located in Flood Hazard Zone A, which is not surprising in a rain event of Harvey's magnitude.

What would be most useful to current/prospective area residents is the identification of home flooding in Zone X - Minimal Risk, where the purchase of flood insurance is optional. From other sources I have been notified that homes did flood in these Zone X - Minimal Risk neighborhoods:

Pipers Meadow (zip code 77598)
Meadowgreen (zip code 77062)
Bay Knoll (zip code 77062)

Old 12-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Default Additional information on flood risk and damage in CLC

I have been conducting research on flooding risk and flooding damage from Hurricane Harvey in the Clear Lake City area of southeastern Harris County, TX. Please visit my blog at the link below for information and discussion of this topic and flood-related matters for Houston in general.

[url="http://clearlakehydrogeo.blogspot.com"]

Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,861 times
I grew up in 77062 (Camino South) and my grandparents have been there since they built the very last house in that neighborhood (It was specially designed on a small left-over lot). My grandmother did just fine and so did the neighborhood. Camino South did well during Alicia in 83 and every flood since. The streets do get water, but the homes are good.

But now it seems like a new normal for Houston so not sure if that will always be the case.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I grew up in 77062 (Camino South) and my grandparents have been there since they built the very last house in that neighborhood (It was specially designed on a small left-over lot). My grandmother did just fine and so did the neighborhood. Camino South did well during Alicia in 83 and every flood since. The streets do get water, but the homes are good.

But now it seems like a new normal for Houston so not sure if that will always be the case.
Yes, Camino South drains well via flood ditches along Highway 3 and Sea Liner into Cow Bayou. Except for the Sea Liner ditch itself, that neighborhood does not contain any Floodways, 100-yr floodplains, or 500-yr floodplains.

In addition, many houses in that area are elevated as much as 4 or 5 feet above street level. From what I have seen (I live nearby) one area of concern is the south side of Silverpines Road where houses are not elevated and they border on a drainage structure along the north side of the Bay Area Park and Ride lot. Residents in that area should make sure that ditch is kept clear of debris or vegetation.

Yes, the "new normal" for Houston residents is to look more closely at drainage issues in their area. Checking the mapped 500-yr floodplains is a good place to start.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman03 View Post
Yes, Camino South drains well via flood ditches along Highway 3 and Sea Liner into Cow Bayou. Except for the Sea Liner ditch itself, that neighborhood does not contain any Floodways, 100-yr floodplains, or 500-yr floodplains.

In addition, many houses in that area are elevated as much as 4 or 5 feet above street level. From what I have seen (I live nearby) one area of concern is the south side of Silverpines Road where houses are not elevated and they border on a drainage structure along the north side of the Bay Area Park and Ride lot. Residents in that area should make sure that ditch is kept clear of debris or vegetation.

Yes, the "new normal" for Houston residents is to look more closely at drainage issues in their area. Checking the mapped 500-yr floodplains is a good place to start.
Now that you mention it. I do remember the south end of Camino South (We lived on Seacliff@Shell Lake) did tend to pool a lot during heavy rains. That was funny to read and get a flashback. I did flood my car one time on Richvale in the 90's and a lady came out of her house and helped me push it up into her driveway. I left it there overnight and went back to get it and it was just fine.

Isn't that crazy to think of some stranger telling you to just leave your car in their driveway overnight? I didn't even know her name, but my grandmother lived down the street. That was a very VERY different world!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Now that you mention it. I do remember the south end of Camino South (We lived on Seacliff@Shell Lake) did tend to pool a lot during heavy rains. That was funny to read and get a flashback. I did flood my car one time on Richvale in the 90's and a lady came out of her house and helped me push it up into her driveway. I left it there overnight and went back to get it and it was just fine.

Isn't that crazy to think of some stranger telling you to just leave your car in their driveway overnight? I didn't even know her name, but my grandmother lived down the street. That was a very VERY different world!
During Allison, I drove complete strangers cars out of the basement garage of Bayou Lofts.

The last one I drove out was a Jeep, and I was spinning the wheels heading up the ramp against the current of water going down.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
During Allison, I drove complete strangers cars out of the basement garage of Bayou Lofts.

The last one I drove out was a Jeep, and I was spinning the wheels heading up the ramp against the current of water going down.
The Bayou Lofts are in downtown Houston on Franklin Street, zip code 77002. Franklin Street crosses Buffalo Bayou on the north side of the central business district. All of Franklin between I-45 on the west and La Branch on the east is in either the 100-year or 500-year floodplains.

The Bayou Lofts building is in the 100-year flood plain - a very bad location for underground parking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: