Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 PM

16 posts, read 24,438 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We’re currently in NJ and will be moving to Houston within a couple of month and I was wondering if anyone here can help me with picking a moving company (furniture & cars), and if there are any tips on what I should be careful with when picking a moving cmpany ... etc.

Also, if you moved from NJ to Houston, how do you like it so far?! Do you love it? Hate it? Why?

Thanks in advance 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 AM

64 posts, read 102,564 times
I moved from NJ to Houston 11 years ago. Texas is like HEB... Here everything's better.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
I used to live in New Jersey, but only for 2 years. I couldn’t stand it there and got out as fast as I could. I love living in the Houston area. Love it.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 21,544 times
Wife and I moved from the northeast 2 years ago and we love Houston. Just be prepared to drive everywhere.

When we moved, we packed pods on our end and had them delivered to Houston. We were planning to have them delivered to our complex but, unbeknownst to us, they had a rule against pods. So we had to hire movers. While in the Houston area, we've worked with two moving companies, Baby Huey Movers and AB Movers. Both were quick and professional. I would definitely recommend either company.

Unfortunately, I can't help if you are looking for long distance movers.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 AM

203 posts, read 253,580 times
Following. We will be in the same position in a few months (6 - 8) as well. Will need info on moving companies. OP, if you come across any or use one, will you share the information & experience?

I have not started looking into it yet, bec there is still time for us. Incase if I come across any, will pass on the info to you.

TIA.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks all for your replies, I appreciate it

I always hear that Houston is much cheaper than NJ, is it that much cheaper? We pay a little over 12k in property tax here and we can’t wait to get a break from all these crazy living expenses here!

Anyone familiar with good schools/family friendly/safe areas that are not that far from Bush international airport? (Around 35-45 min drive).

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notkim View Post
Following. We will be in the same position in a few months (6 - 8) as well. Will need info on moving companies. OP, if you come across any or use one, will you share the information & experience?

I have not started looking into it yet, bec there is still time for us. Incase if I come across any, will pass on the info to you.

TIA.
Oh absolutely! Let’s do that, and good luck to you and your family as well

We’ll be moving from the East Brunswick area here in NJ, where will you be moving from (if you don’t mind me asking)?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Houston tends to be significantly less expensive than living in other large cities, like New York, San Francisco, LA......but, as with any city, it tends to be more expensive than living in many smaller towns.

It depends on where you are coming from.

We have no state income tax, which is great..........but we have a myriad of lesser taxes from utility districts, schools, flood control districts, that can add up to something pretty significant.

The best thing to keep in mind, is that most of these taxes are very local in nature, dependent to a large extent on the actual neighborhood you move to, not the town.

Additionally the boundaries for the schools here don't follow town lines, so you have to be very aware of the actual location of your house, to understand the taxes you will pay, and where your kids will go to school.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Whats your budget and do you prefer city or suburban? You can check out Woodlands, Kingwood and Eagle Springs for suburban options. Oak Forest and Garden Oaks if you want to be closer in and can afford it.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM

348 posts, read 460,429 times
We're also moving to Houston from NJ (Essex County) in March. I've lived in many places and pretty much liked all of them, including NJ. It's beautiful here, but yes expensive. We're moving mostly because of the weather (HATE the winters, and lower cost of living). We haven't started looking into movers yet.

We're aiming for The Woodlands, though my husband is more into the Klein area because you get more space for your money there. We have a 4 year old (5 in April) and I'm going to be working remotely (currently in process) so thankfully no commute. My husband would probably work from home a lot as he mostly works with people in Memphis and London, but will probably utilize his company's Houston office as well.

We've done a lot of research and are ready to finally do it! I've been looking for jobs since the summer but nothing worked out so requested working remotely and my boss was happy to do it. So fingers crossed, we'll be in Houston in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston