Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,319 times

Advertisements

Hello, new to the forum and have enjoyed reading threads for the past couple hours or so. I currently live in San Antonio and just tired of the "rat race", the traffic, crime, etc. I'm seriously considering relocating to Huntsville for many reasons, some of which are the trees/forests, slower pace, the lower price of a modest home on small acreage, etc.

I hope to own a small property outside the city limits where I can garden and grow some food, have some chickens and perhaps other livestock. Basically just lead a nice little quiet life. We're pretty quiet and love to be at home, but also love hiking, being in the woods exploring, and checking out the various BBQ and Mexican restaurants!

How's the crime? Big drug problem? Heard some rumors that meth is an issue, and need to be careful hiking in the National forest and may be issues with break-ins and thefts?

Other issue I've heard is that with the prison, many of the offenders kin folk move into the area to be closer and visitation, and then when offender gets out, they stay in area... causing problems with crime.

What's the weather typically like? I keep hearing it's humid, but heck it's humid all over Texas. Is it really any worse than San Antonio?

I understand the job market is geared specifically towards the prisons and University. Not really an issue as I work for the State of Texas, and getting on with TDCJ shouldn't be an issue (I'm in IT).

Is real estate moving at a good clip there or are people pretty willing to negotiate down prices, if things are more stagnant. Just trying to get a feel for what's going on. Thank you so much.

Ok, so give me the good, the bad and the ugly regarding Huntsville! Looking forwards to input, advice and encouragement.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM

158 posts, read 181,810 times
I lived there for 4 years when I went to college, and didn't ever notice a crime problem. Think about it, the prison is right there...easy travels for criminals!

Seriously though, it was a pretty sleepy town and I worked with some sweet ladies at the University who will probably never move and I never hear them say anything negative about the ville.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I lived there for 4 years when I went to college, and didn't ever notice a crime problem. Think about it, the prison is right there...easy travels for criminals!

Seriously though, it was a pretty sleepy town and I worked with some sweet ladies at the University who will probably never move and I never hear them say anything negative about the ville.
There are five state prison facilities in Huntsville: Huntsville or Walls (includes the execution chamber), Holliday (transfer), Byrd (transfer), Wynne (farm), and Goree (farm, former women's prison). The Ellis and Estelle units (Ellis formerly had men's death row) are north of town.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 PM

506 posts, read 510,437 times
Trust me. The last place an escaped inmate or an ex-con want to be is in Huntsville. They'd try to get away as far and fast as possible. The pre-release is at the Huntsville Unit (Walls). Former cons who are released walk to the Greyhound Bus Station a block away to downtown, and get on the busses taking them to various cities in Texas.

I agree. It is a sleepy town. The busy traffic are usually along Route 30 heading to I-45, or past to get to College Station, by students of SHSU. Everything you need is here in Huntsville, but if you want to get out of town now and then, you can drive south to Conroe, The Woodlands, Houston, or you can drive west on 30 to College Station.

The police cars seem to be around a lot, so watch your speed and stop signs.

I feel safe here, but it gets tedious at times. I am a student at SHSU. The forest/park is nice to walk around, have a picnic, camp, etc. I haven't seen any meth or any other drug problems here. The "mall" consists of I think five stores or so. I just go to The Woodlands Mall whenever I need to, or I order off Amazon.

Real estate is cheaper here than say in, Austin, The Woodlands, even Conroe. But the houses tend to be mid-century (1950s or so) in a lot of areas, but well-maintained. Nicest area in my opinion is in Elkins Lake area with more modern houses.

The weather...hmm. I'd say it's cooler than San Antonio due to all the trees. It's more humid since it's East Texas.

Lot of people retire to Huntsville.

You can look on har.com for an idea of properties. Another is landsoftexas.com

There is a Whataburger, with a second one opening soon, a new H-E-B just opened, there are a few restaurants, a Target, a WalMart, Kroger, Academy Sports, and just many restaurants. I like the Farmhouse Cafe, located on 14th Street. Mr. Hamburger on 11th Street is good as well. The new H-E-B on 11th Street has a good barbecue restaurant. There are plenty of places to eat in Huntsville. The downtown is a typical Texas small-town.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:29 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Having been a Bearkat I cannot attest to any of the issues that you've heard about OP. What is your source?

Huntsville is safe, the forest is safe, the housing market is buyer friendly and the weather... well is Texas weather.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the input!

Sources were from folks just opining. That's why I inquired here, to hear the actual "lay of the land" from folks with boots on the ground.

Yes, I noticed the vast majority of the nicer properties are in the Elkins Lake subdivision. Looks like they have a HOA and the fees are steep (180 month).

Glad to hear it's a sleepy town with no apparent drug issues and crime.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
No drug or crime problems in Huntsville. It's actually a really nice town. Huntsville is the last place anyone should want to commit a crime.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 PM

104 posts, read 171,411 times
You do know that you are allowed to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on your person or in your vehicle
while in a National Forest? Providing of course that you have a concealed weapon permit. So hiking in the National Forest would pose no danger if you're armed. Criminals just hate armed victims.
Just saying.
EL

Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 PM

I'm am avid hunter, shooter, and strong proponent of the 2nd amendment. I'm always well armed.

Are there any good rifle and/or pistol ranges in Huntsville?
Appreciate all the comments and input.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:26 PM

506 posts, read 510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHisey View Post
I'm am avid hunter, shooter, and strong proponent of the 2nd amendment. I'm always well armed.

Are there any good rifle and/or pistol ranges in Huntsville?
Appreciate all the comments and input.
There's Able's, located on 357 FM 1791 N, in Huntsville. The range is outdoors. I drive to Conroe because of the indoor range. I prefer Shooters Station in Conroe, on 105.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston