Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:39 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It's just a matter of Houston being so spread out with some of these features. The established botanic garden of the area, Mercer, is out in Humble. NASA and Kemah are down by Clear Lake. The San Jacinto monument is the closest, but is cut off by industrial wasteland at the moment. The list goes on. Each of these features make for fine visits in themselves, but with being so spread out, their impact and vibe never gets unleashed unto the city.

This botanic garden should be one of many reversals in bringing back world class attractions into the city, even with the Glenbrook location. Houston's wet subtropical climate will grant this garden quick maturation process, and an extravagant diversity in plants.
Yes, I can see your point about how spread out things are, and I must admit, I am unfamiliar with Mercer (though it looks like it has a lot to offer). I guess what I have in my mind is what I've experienced in other places I've lived, where the Botanical Garden is often located in, or in very close proximity to, the main urban park and/or museums in the city. Specifically, the ones that jump to mind are the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis (one of the oldest in the country and located close to Forest Park), the New Orleans Botanical Garden (built as a WPA project and located in City Park) and the Denver Botanical Garden (which has multiple locations, with the flagship located, again, near a large park). Then, conversely, there are cities where the Botanical Garden is not necessarily located in the city center, but in proximity to other outdoor attractions, as is the case in Dallas.

I guess you and I are coming at this from different perspectives and mine certainly isn't necessarily "right", and I can appreciate how you are pulling in the idea that Houston incorporate some of the native flora and features when it comes to establishment of a garden, even if that means a different type of location and history than what exists elsewhere.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 03-11-2018 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yes, I can see your point about how spread out things are, and I must admit, I am unfamiliar with Mercer (though it looks like it has a lot to offer). I guess what I have in my mind is what I've experienced in other places I've lived, where the Botanical Garden is often located in, or in very close proximity to, the main urban park and/or museums in the city. Specifically, the ones that jump to mind are the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis (one of the oldest in the country and located close to Forest Park), the New Orleans Botanical Garden (built as a WPA project and located in City Park) and the Denver Botanical Garden (which has multiple locations, with the flagship located, again, near a large park). Then, conversely, there are cities where the Botanical Garden is not necessarily located in the city center, but in proximity to other outdoor attractions, as is the case in Dallas.

I guess you and I are coming at this from different perspectives and mine certainly isn't necessarily "right"
Another notable example of a botanical garden within the main park is in SF with Golden Gate Park. Very stunning park right on the beach front, with interesting plant life that not many areas in the country can grow.

I wasn't actually disagreeing with your post, but just used it as opportunity to highlight a circumstance regarding some of Houston's amenities. There are quite in a closely connected area (Downtown to TMC corridor), but some others are only accessible after driving through Houston expansive city limits and through equally expansive ETJs/suburbs. Far more spread out than what you described regarding the Dallas botanical garden.

This upcoming botanical garden in Houston isn't in the main park, but is quite centrally located in the sense of being along an area that has good bones to connect with the urban fabric (East End).

Quote:
and I can appreciate how you are pulling in the idea that Houston incorporate some of the native flora and features when it comes to establishment of a garden, even if that means a different type of location and history than what exists elsewhere.
It can also be a good opportunity to showcase exotics as well. And these exotics aren't just from overseas: there are quite a few plants in the SE US that can easily grow in Houston that aren't able to make it to Texas due to geographic barriers to the east (i.e. MS River, Appalachian mountains):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordonia_lasianthus

Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Texyn, it won't let me Rep you again. I think this is a good discussion and you seem to be very knowledgeable on this matter. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this. I've never been to the one in SF. Have you ever been to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, BC? We were just there in September. Wow, amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston