Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 24,452 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of moving to The Woodlands (Conroe 77384) and was wondering if you have any recommendations when it comes to Tv, Internet & home phone providers. I’m currently in NJ and I have Verizon FIOS. I pay about $140 for all three services. I called Comcast the other day and to get a similar service to what we have here, it’s gonna cost me about $210 for the first 24month, then it’ll be even higher!

Any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,022,358 times
We have much less competition in Houston than a lot of NJ, where you have multiple cable providers as well as FIOS. Here we basically have Comcast throughout our entire footprint, and maybe some small providers in certain communities. Comcast likely charging that much because they know they are the only provider in your neighborhood.

I'd try splitting up providers. Maybe ATT fiber is available where you are, get video from one of the OTT streaming providers (Youtube TV and Playstation Vue are both pretty good), and phone from one of the many VOIP providers out there. Ooma is a well known one.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Thank you for your reply

Exactly, they’re charging that much coz they have no competition!

Are you in the area? If yes, what service provider/s do you have if I may ask?

Thank you

Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM

348 posts, read 461,059 times
The family I know in Conroe (Fosters Ridge) uses DirecTV, if I'm not mistaken. We just moved from NJ as well but are in Cypress and also use DirecTV.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,022,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_75 View Post
Thank you for your reply

Exactly, they’re charging that much coz they have no competition!

Are you in the area? If yes, what service provider/s do you have if I may ask?

Thank you

No, I don't live in The Woodlands. Hopefully someone else can chime in that lives there.

We use Comcast for internet only and it's been pretty reliable with good speeds. Youtube TV for video, and no land line. Smith Thompson for home security because they don't charge extra for cellular monitoring after the one time equipment fee.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:40 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_75 View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of moving to The Woodlands (Conroe 77384) and was wondering if you have any recommendations when it comes to Tv, Internet & home phone providers. I’m currently in NJ and I have Verizon FIOS. I pay about $140 for all three services. I called Comcast the other day and to get a similar service to what we have here, it’s gonna cost me about $210 for the first 24month, then it’ll be even higher!

Any suggestions?!

Thanks in advance
Make sure you're comparing the same levels of service. You don't need 400 mbps internet. We stream fine on 75mbps.

Do you really need phone service? Just use your cell phones, or get a third-party voip like ooma.

Comcast tries to push high end packages. They won't even show double-play offers online anymore.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM

188 posts, read 376,980 times
Hi, I am actually in 77386 (Spring/Montgomery County) but just lived in the Woodlands (77380). I am in 77384 weekly as my daughter goes to gymnastics there. I had Charter Spectrum and I loved it. It was one price for internet and cable and I had no issues at all. Direct TV is one I hear of often. I walked in and out of Comcast this week, it is such a rip-off.

Due to a clause with my HOA, I have to get Entouch for my internet and security. It's ok so far, we are currently using HULU tv for video and the playback sucks. I am thinking we may have to go with DISH.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 AM

Thanks a lot for all your replies, I greatly appreciate it

I’ve had DTV for years and I love it, the only thing is that when it’s raining the service gets interrupted, and I heard it’ll rain a lot the next couple of month in TX!

Any issues with that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston