Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
One thing that makes me hesitant about SLC is the fact that I am non-LDS. I am actually a minority (Pakistani) and from what I have heard SLC is not too much of a cultural place or that diverse.
If you're comfortable in white bread culture, that should not be a problem (unless they're racist or anti-Muslim). The West outside of California is mostly white and Mormons also have their own culture within the wider Western American culture. Being in Utah is not much different than other neighboring states, but the Mormon culture leaves it's own distinctive mark that makes Utah different than Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If you're comfortable in white bread culture, that should not be a problem (unless they're racist or anti-Muslim).
Actually, Utah is not even in the top 10 whitest states (it was #18, last time I checked). Most of the non-whites are either Hispanic or Pacific Islanders, though. But we had a Pakistani family live just around the block for quite a few years. On my street alone, there are only twelve households, and there are Hispanics, Asians and Middle-easterners.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 AM

219 posts, read 226,268 times
Houston has the largest white collar Pakistani-American population in the US. In terms of largest Pakistani-American population overall, that’ll always be NYC, but they’re on the whole more blue collar.

Might sound pretentious, but it’s true.

They don’t call it brown Sugar Land for nothing.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times
Salt Lake City Demographics
At the 2010 Census, the racial composition of Salt Lake City was:
White: 75.1%
African American: 2.7%
Asian: 4.4%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 2.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native: 1.2%
Other race: 10.7%
Mixed race: 3.7%
Hispanic or Latino of any race: 22.3%

You will make acquaintances at work. It depends on your personality. Are you open enough to reach out and join various groups and become involved in the community? The seasons in Salt Lake City are gorgeous. Remember all the national parks close enough for trips --

https://usbusutah.com/15-fun-things-...ke-city-night/
They list more than one hiking event at night.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/driving-di...-parks-3362273
Could make it a weekend thing - Too far for a day trip. But! A lot closer to visit than living in Houston.

I also agree with another poster - SLC has gotten more diverse. You can take the job, see how it goes, if it doesn't work after giving it enough time, then apply for another job elsewhere. I also did a quick 'Hiking trails close to SLC' and there's over 20 different locations. Be warned the altitude may take time to get used to.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
It's engineering. I could take vacations. I've honestly never lived in a cold climate so I don't know what it's like to have snow.
No one is used to living in snow. Your co-workers would be the best source for information including how to drive on icy roads. Yes. It's really not a big deal. You dress warm but in layers so you peel off when you're inside. You'll spend more on heating instead of A/C. You learn how to scrape your car windows free of snow. You'll either fall in love or hate it.

I'd also visit the Utah SLC thread and ask your questions there.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, Utah is not even in the top 10 whitest states (it was #18, last time I checked). Most of the non-whites are either Hispanic or Pacific Islanders, though. But we had a Pakistani family live just around the block for quite a few years. On my street alone, there are only twelve households, and there are Hispanics, Asians and Middle-easterners.
How similar is Utah to Oregon in lifestyle, culture, etc? Portland has historically been a white city (RFK lost his first race in the history of the Kennedy family there) and the LDS hasn't been historically attractive to Black people. Both have mountains, which Houston lacks, and Park City became famous earlier in this decade to be synonymous with Aspen and Banff.

Mormon culture is really a subset of white culture that also emphasizes keeping traditions like potlucks for a grieving family, etc. Green Jello, funeral potatoes, casseroles, etc. are examples of food culture from the American past that has survived in this cultural subset. Which reminds me that I'm hungry and it's lunchtime in the Central Time Zone--let's eat!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,006 times
I would pick Houston over SLC because its not much different from Tampa weather wise. I had friends move to SLC from TX and they ended up spending more time in Vegas every other weekend.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 AM

511 posts, read 399,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I would pick Houston over SLC because its not much different from Tampa weather wise. I had friends move to SLC from TX and they ended up spending more time in Vegas every other weekend.
Yes, some of my friends who moved to SLC bored to tears when it comes to entertainment options, especially the nightlife scene. I recommended SLC, however.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
I guess it depends what your priorities are. SLC wins hands down for outdoor activities and scenery. Houston in a walk for food, diversity and culture.

If work is your number one, I wouldn't worry so much about this job, but your next one. Is SLC going to provide more opportunities for growth and advancement, or would Houston? Then again, if you're the type where you just want a job to further your lifestyle, then I'd take SLC without a second's thought. I hate the cold though. Just find a nice Mormon girl (or three) to cuddle up with in the winter.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
Why not try SLC. It is gorgeous there, why not try an adventure and something different?
If it doesn't work out, you can always come to Houston, where there will be work, heat and plenty of Pakistani's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston