Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times

Advertisements

I feel incredibly oppressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 PM

47 posts, read 39,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is where Texas started. Most of the Anglos who settled a sparsely populated Mexican province started around Brazoria County and northeast (roughly by US-59/future IH-69, which is one of the routes to Mexico City still in use today) to the U.S. border in Arkansas. (San Antonio was pretty much the rough extension of Nuevo León and the sister city to Monterrey--like Dallas is to Houston.)

By the time of statehood, most of the population was heavily centered on Galveston (literally the Manhattan of the South) and the state legislature wanted to spread the population to other parts of the state. The 1900 Hurricane re-centered the metro from Galveston to Houston. San Antonio was the largest city into the early 20th century, with Dallas taking the title for a short time, then Houston after the port was completed and the Energy industry was settled into Texas.

Somehow the I-35 corridor inexplicably developed into a megalopolis. Houston eventually became the only major city/metro along the coast in the South. The oil money created cultural institutions unmatched anywhere else in Texas. The Energy Industry introduced Houston to the global economy before globalization was the rage. This also brought with it ethnic diversity from the various parts of the world that the energy industry made contact. You could find Saudi Arabian sheikhs (and their wives!!!) here shopping at the Galleria Neiman Marcus but an Angolan classmate of mine probably checked them out.

BTW I saw a documentary about Angola's king adopting Catholicism in 1491 (pre-Reformation, 1517 was 26 years away!!!). Wow, this makes it the first or at least one of the oldest Christian countries in Africa.
It's the only major metro area in the south that sits directly on the coast outside of Florida, it is not the only one.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
I suspect if most Texans could choose where to live in Texas, Houston wouldn't be at the top of the list. By and large, it's a lot dumpier than DFW. It doesn't have the culture or history that San Antonio does. It doesn't have the hipster/music/tech scene that Austin has. A lot of people think the weather is worse in Houston than the other cities, and there isn't much to say about it's natural aesthetics either.

I view Houston primarily as a place to work. It's not much of a destination otherwise. Certainly not in the way other parts of Texas are.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:05 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,422,162 times
When I attended UT-Austin (back in prehistory) it seemed as if every student not from Houston hated Houston. I remember a girl from Dallas who, upon telling her I was from Houston, replied "Oh! But you're not going back there after you graduate, are you?"

Ever since then, I've always thought of Houston as being the Rodney Dangerfield of cities (many of you will have to look him up). One of his trademark lines was "I get no respect, no respect at all!".

Old 08-09-2018, 04:16 AM

511 posts, read 401,444 times
I live in Austin so I know lots of people from Houston and almost 99% of them seem to hate the city they came from. lol

Old 08-09-2018, 04:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I suspect if most Texans could choose where to live in Texas, Houston wouldn't be at the top of the list. By and large, it's a lot dumpier than DFW. It doesn't have the culture or history that San Antonio does. It doesn't have the hipster/music/tech scene that Austin has. A lot of people think the weather is worse in Houston than the other cities, and there isn't much to say about it's natural aesthetics either.

I view Houston primarily as a place to work. It's not much of a destination otherwise. Certainly not in the way other parts of Texas are.
Houston has it's OWN history and culture, which is good enough for me. From a black professional standpoint, Austin doesn't cut it, neither does San Antonio. Dallas is on par and that's about it. To be honest, I don't want Houston to be ritzy and pretentious like Dallas (I like Dallas, but DFW residents do put on airs; they try to be something they're not). People from all walks of life can touchdown in Houston and feel right at home.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Not a myth on Galveston. It was initially thought to be the major port city but the storm changes those plans and port and business growth moved inland.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 AM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Houston has it's OWN history and culture, which is good enough for me. From a black professional standpoint, Austin doesn't cut it, neither does San Antonio. Dallas is on par and that's about it. To be honest, I don't want Houston to be ritzy and pretentious like Dallas (I like Dallas, but DFW residents do put on airs; they try to be something they're not). People from all walks of life can touchdown in Houston and feel right at home.
Houston is messy, unconventional, and a great place to live. I've always thought of Dallas, especially North Dallas as a plastic city full of plastic people.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:56 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Houston is messy, unconventional, and a great place to live. I've always thought of Dallas, especially North Dallas as a plastic city full of plastic people.

That's why I was born & raised in Houston and don't plan on leaving. I'm a Houston representer

Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
The question the OP asked is why the rest of the state dumps on Houston, and they do. I personally can't stand Austin and the Dallas side of DFW is pretty annoying. But there is no doubt that most of the state thinks of Houston as a dump on the carcinogen coast.

As a transplant of 11 years, I view Houston as lacking much personality as a city. What personality it has is largely negative, in terms of it being trashy from lack of zoning or dirty from a higher share of industry than the other big cities have. It does have a good amount of history though.

I get that people who are born and raised in houston won't agree with me. And I know that there are transplants that genuinely love it. But I mostly work with people from other parts of the state, and they almost all dislike Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston