Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:18 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times

Advertisements

Matthew Petty, an arborist with Davey Tree Expert Co., said he has seen evidence of tree stress across the city since July. August’s searing heat brought no relief. Some arborists have even coined a name for specimens that look alive but are in fact hovering above already-dead root systems: Zombie trees.

“People think their trees are dying for no reason, but roots are compromised,” Petty said. “We’ve had odd weather patterns, with Harvey, hard freezes last winter and long, hot dry spells this summer. Trees that were already stressed, that pushed them over the edge.”
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lif...photo-16111989

Do you have Zombie trees in your back yard ? mwhaaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 11:40 AM

447 posts, read 487,735 times
I do, I have a lot of dead trees. Will be expensive for me this year to remove all of it. Not to mention that I'm upset about cutting the trees, always wanted to keep it. A lot of problems with trees last 2 years.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
My tree that spent a week in 3 feet of water during Harvey is actually looking better this year than last.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM

97 posts, read 64,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
My tree that spent a week in 3 feet of water during Harvey is actually looking better this year than last.
in east texas, they go through deeper cold spells and longer summer dry spells than houston ever does, and they got thick forest. its obvs that weather is only an indirect factor at best, as it only allows the true issues (soil type, fungus, insect pests, specimen genetics etc) to present.

its also obvs that decidous trees arent for houstons climate; all the trees having issues happen to be decidous trees. the post oak especially has been experiencing quite the die off all over the state in recent years. just replace with evergreen live oaks, pines, and magnolias.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:29 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Do most people in Houston have sprinkler systems like they do in Austin?

Austin is much drier than Houston but we don't have such a die off so I'm wondering if Houstonians installed sprinkler systems if that would help.

I have 3 Live Oak Trees in my yard, 13 Spanish Oaks, 2 Pin Oaks, 2 Crepe Myrtles, an oleander, and two Italian Cypress trees and they are all doing fine.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I have 3 Live Oak Trees in my yard, 13 Spanish Oaks, 2 Pin Oaks, 2 Crepe Myrtles, an oleander, and two Italian Cypress trees and they are all doing fine.
those arent the trees they were mentioned in the article. so like it said, its probs just specific trees that go through this.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
in east texas, they go through deeper cold spells and longer summer dry spells than houston ever does, and they got thick forest. its obvs that weather is only an indirect factor at best, as it only allows the true issues (soil type, fungus, insect pests, specimen genetics etc) to present.

its also obvs that decidous trees arent for houstons climate; all the trees having issues happen to be decidous trees. the post oak especially has been experiencing quite the die off all over the state in recent years. just replace with evergreen live oaks, pines, and magnolias.
Nonsense, there are many deciduous trees that are native to SE Texas and Houston.

Our place in Brenham also has a number of ill-looking trees over the last 2 months, including post oaks and cedar elms.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:13 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Our place in Brenham also has a number of ill-looking trees over the last 2 months, including post oaks and cedar elms.
Did you water them?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Nonsense, there are many deciduous trees that are native to SE Texas and Houston.
true, but its obvious that se texas/houston is barely at their range limit. check the usda zones, most of these trees are literally hanging on a thread being here, just thanks to the few days of deep winter freezes. and climate change going through, the deciduous trees dont have much time left before they die off.

Last edited by Steeped; 09-08-2018 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Did you water them?
No, I'm talking about naturally occurring trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston