Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 7,228 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Houston in a few months. We want to buy a house for up to $650-700K. We are considering two neighborhoods-Northfield in Fondren Southwest or Meyerland. Flooding in Meyerland is a major concern and it looks like raised homes there are $1million and above. So we will probably look into buying in Northfield, which is much more affordable. The Bellfort and Fondren area looks terrible but when you go inside the area where the houses are, the neighborhood is completely different. Any thoughts about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:09 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
I grew up in Fondren Southwest in the 80s, and sadly, watched the neighborhood starting to deteriorate by the end of that decade. Yes, there are still neighborhoods and pockets with good homes, but it's my understanding they appeal to a very narrow type of buyer, specifically, Orthodox Jews that need to be close enough to walk to shul. I'm Jewish, so I can understand if that's something that's important to you, but personally, I would not buy in that area. I would look at Meyerland, Braes Heights, and Westbury maybe, but I would not live in Fondren Southwest. Just my $02.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-04-2018 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I grew up in Fondren Southwest in the 80s, and sadly, watched the neighborhood starting to deteriorate by the end of that decade. Yes, there are still neighborhoods and pockets with good homes, but it's my understanding they appeal to a very narrow type of buyer, specifically, Orthodox Jews that need to be close enough to walk to shul. I'm Jewish, so I can understand if that's something that's important to you, but personally, I would not buy in that area. I would look at Meyerland, Braes Heights, and Westbury maybe, but I would not live in Fondren Southwest. Just my $02.
Agree. Also look in Maplewood North which is roughly bounded by Hillcroft, N Braeswood, Beechnut and Renwick. Many of those homes did not flood and especially with the completion of Project Brays should be "safe" from a Harvey sized storm. Project Brays is supposed to lower the flood level by 1.5 feet in the area.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 AM

8 posts, read 7,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We are looking to live within walking distance to one of the Orthodox synagogues. We don’t know Houston much but Meyerland looked like a really nice area. But Harvey devastated that community. How reasonable is it to buy a home that’s not raised in a flood prone area? Raised homes are beyond our price range unfortunately.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosh18 View Post
We are looking to live within walking distance to one of the Orthodox synagogues. We don’t know Houston much but Meyerland looked like a really nice area. But Harvey devastated that community. How reasonable is it to buy a home that’s not raised in a flood prone area? Raised homes are beyond our price range unfortunately.
As I noted above, check out Maplewood North. It's literally behind this (not orthodox) synagogue. https://www.beth-israel.org/

Old 10-05-2018, 07:01 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosh18 View Post
Not all raised homes, just NEW ones. So the hard part at this point is that the original homes that are being raised are mostly being held on to (so not coming on the market, though this is probably just a short-term issue), but there are a number of amazing lot-value homes on the market that can easily be raised, if you have the stomach for renovation. If you are planning to stay for a while, this can be a great way to get into the area you want. For this route, I would focus on two story homes (gets you the size, but without the footprint). House raising is about $75/sq ft for the ground level, and then the renovation adds to it. But the homes on the market are at a depressed lot value. It's something to consider. There's financing options available (you are welcome to PM me for the name of the guy at Regions Bank who does a lot of construction lending in the area (it isn't me ).

I live in Meyerland, but higher up and never flooded. I have also lived in Westbury, and so know Fondren SW relatively well. It's not a place I would buy, especially in your price range. There's also Willow Meadows, but the section right by the synagogue (at Braeswood and Greenwillow) was probably the hardest hit of any neighborhood in the area.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,996 times
Their building new homes in northfield as the developer is catering to Jewish families in terms of how the floor plans are developed.

People talk down on the area but it’s close to the city and other areas that are desired for half the cost.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 AM

676 posts, read 931,150 times
I’d recommend Northfield. Values in the area are starting to rise dramatically and it is right next door to Maplewood and down the road from Meyerland where values have skyrocketed due to location. The neighborhood it’s self is fine, but there are apartments around W Bellfort and Fondren that are still sketchy.

There is still new construction going on in Northfield to the south of W Bellfort. I have driven through there and the houses look extremely nice.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:17 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,396 times
I'll third buying into this area. We are going to look back on it in 10 years as a screaming bargain. The original housing stock has great bones if you are into a remodeled home and there is new construction as well.

But probably spend half of your budgeted money in Northfield.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
For those of you saying this area will bounce back strong, I would be delighted if you are right and I am wrong. It would be great to see Fondren Southwest as desirable again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston