Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 11:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That’s their logic
Conservatives go full blown racist when the first black president gets elected
They blame him for the increase in division and hate in the country
No. Jerbear was the one trying to blame Trump for the rise in hate crimes, even though it started before he was elected. I am saying it makes no sense to blame Trump for rising hate crimes because he is the president right now. At least when hate crimes were on the rise before. I don't think its Trump's or Obama's fault for the rise in division just like I don't t it is Clinton's or Bush's fault for the recession.

Also, I am a liberal on the majority of topics: pro choice, drug legalization, for gun rights, gay marrriage, gender equality, freedom of speech, all as a non-christian, homosexual millennial. This is another problem I have with many modern Democrats. If a person doesn't absolutely hate Republicans qnd constantly praise Democrats, the person is labeled a conservative (which isn't bad BUT is used by these people with negative connotations), or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 11:23 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
No. Jerbear was the one trying to blame Trump for the rise in hate crimes, even though it started before he was elected. I am saying it makes no sense to blame Trump for rising hate crimes because he is the president right now. At least when hate crimes were on the rise before. I don't think its Trump's or Obama's fault for the rise in division just like I don't t it is Clinton's or Bush's fault for the recession.

Also, I am a liberal on the majority of topics: pro choice, drug legalization, for gun rights, gay marrriage, gender equality, freedom of speech, all as a non-christian, homosexual millennial. This is another problem I have with many modern Democrats. If a person doesn't absolutely hate Republicans qnd constantly praise Democrats, the person is labeled a conservative (which isn't bad BUT is used by these people with negative connotations), or worse.
I have a hard time believing that you and your views, as you describe them, would be "labeled a conservative" by any thinking person. But there are lots of people out there who don't think, so I suppose you certainly could run across this. However, calling someone ignorant enough to mislabel you representative of "many modern Democrats" seems like an overreach.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:34 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What should I call it?
Have you ever seen any other president being called and disrespected as much as he was?

I'm sure is just a coincidence that he's a different color.
Is this a trick question? This country has never had a President that is more hated and disrespected than Donald Trump.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Is this a trick question? This country has never had a President that is more hated and disrespected than Donald Trump.
Well, you have to admit that no President has ever expressed so much contempt and disrespect for his own citizens as DJT. Anyone who is a Democrat, Mexican, black, etc. has been disrespected by him. It's no wonder if he is despised.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Obama was hated and disrespected because of his race. trump is hated and disrespected because he an absolute horror of a human being.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Constantly whining and attacking the media doesn't mean that he's hated
It means that he's constantly attacking the media

Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
Quote:

I don't think you've sufficiently addressed my concern regarding hate crimes. First, Trump began campaigning officially in 2015 and it was during that year that he made some of his most hateful remarks. Second, I'm thinking specifically of hate crimes against minorities, which as I understand the data, have been more sharply increasing as a subset of all such crimes than others. Here's an example of a study that shows a rise in assaults against Muslims in the year 2016: Assaults against Muslims in U.S. surpass 2001 level Now, I will certainly concede that Trump is not responsible for all of those crimes, but it would be foolish to think that the uptick is merely coincidental, when we have a president who campaigned on a "Muslim ban."

There are many things I don't like about republicans, but I don't constantly hate them, either. I don't know if you can say for sure that you can see too much of that kind of sentiment on this thread. I actually see more ad hominem attacks in general coming from republicans. An ad hominem attack is a personal insult, and includes things like "lib-tards" etc...

But to your point about Beto, I don't even think you're being honest. You're not going to vote for him because his supporters are distasteful to you? Even though he has your support on a majority of the issues? That's just an unusual way to vote. I don't much care for Bill Clinton at all--I can remember when he ran in 92 and he was on the stage with 8 other democrats and I told my mom, "he's the worst." I still feel that way about him but I voted for him because he had my support on the majority of issues. I didn't like Hillary either, although the email thing was a total joke--Trump has done worse and nobody seems to care. But she wasn't a good candidate and I had to hold my nose, but I voted for her because again, I favored her positions. That's what politics is. How can you vote for someone based on how their supporters conduct themselves? And really, do you even want to go there with Trump in the White House? His supporters are nutso!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
I will respond mostly later, when on my computer, but on why I won't pick for Beto. It is mainly because of him basically "stepping in line" with other Democrats, despite talking about wanting to fight against the status quo of the nation, and siding against Kavanaugh. Even many Democrats and Liberals I know off the internet has agreed that concrete evidence was lacking for support of his accusers (even Liberal media Vox has an article about why lie detectors are not good evidence), even after his and Ford's senate hearings, but Beto indicated he still opposed the nomination. On top of me not particularly favoring him over Cruz is that I don't think my one vote is enough to push him over line. Maybe collectively, the votes of apathetic voters in Texas would be, but thats a hurdle for people who actually care enough about the race: basically, I don't feel like my one vote and Beto as a single senator will make much of an impact. Last thing, though really minor, is I am annoyed by the text messages and phone calls I keep getting (though, to be fair, the calls may not be from his supporters).

Also, I didn't vote for Trump, so not my beef. I did vote for Clinton, because I do feel one individual as a president has much more power than one individual as a senator, although I think the Democratic party really messed up by deciding on her. The writing was on the wall that the people, at least in swing states, were not wanting someone perceived as part of the political establishment, and then they picked Clinton.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
I will respond mostly later, when on my computer, but on why I won't pick for Beto. It is mainly because of him basically "stepping in line" with other Democrats, despite talking about wanting to fight against the status quo of the nation, and siding against Kavanaugh.
If Kavanaugh was a democrat, there's no way in hell Republicans would have let him be elected to the Supreme Court.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Even many Democrats and Liberals I know off the internet has agreed that concrete evidence was lacking for support of his accusers (even Liberal media Vox has an article about why lie detectors are not good evidence), even after his and Ford's senate hearings, but Beto indicated he still opposed the nomination.
I'm a liberal woman and I was on the fence about the Kavanaugh accusations. But I was horrified by his rebuttal and his demeanor while delivering it and his attempts to blame the Democrats (and the Clintons!). Can you watch that testimony and think to yourself, "Gee, that's a judge I'd like to have presiding over my child custody case?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston