Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times

Advertisements

Hi, all

As you know, I'm in education. I know a lot about the districts around here but very little about their GT programs with the exception of HISD's program.

My cousin and his wife have been trying to get their daughter in FBISD's program. She's tested twice in three years and has not made the cut. Their worry is those who are not in the GT program in FBISD are more or less left for dead. Being in education, I have heard about this in regards to those who aren't on an AP track, especially students who attend Travis, Kempner, Clements and Austin (she is zoned to one of these schools).

What would be their best course of action? I know what strings to pull in HISD and some other districts, but not Fort Bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
She's tested twice in three years and has not made the cut.
Is it possible she's not "gifted", in spite of her parents determination?

Edit, after re-reading title.........isn't pulling strings and asking for favors to get kids in programs they don't qualify for on their own somewhat detrimental to those students that are in it as a result of their own performance? Just asking.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Is it possible she's not "gifted", in spite of her parents determination?

Edit, after re-reading title.........isn't pulling strings and asking for favors to get kids in programs they don't qualify for on their own somewhat detrimental to those students that are in it as a result of their own performance? Just asking.
I never said she was gifted. The concern is FBISD's handling of regular ed students in conjunction with the severe watering down of curriculum that has occurred today.

And I agree with my cousin's sentiments. I've seen what happens to those at Clements who are not on either an AP or GT track. They are ignored.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
A student does not have to be in a gifted program to be in AP courses.

As the mother of a G/T child since kinder and was tested and "made the cut" with flying colors and has never struggled w/ school work and now in the high school IB program and a middle schooler that is in the arts magnet........ the kids that have somehow been allowed thru the cracks (because of older siblings in program and parents pushy involvement) usually can not make it and end up on probation and struggle so much that they do not even enjoy school and move back down to the mainstream schools and feeling isolated. They do not even want to pursue AP courses as they have been burnt out struggling all along even in elementary.

A child that is not gifted enough to make the cut on two different tries of testing is not going to be happy at all in a more rigorious program academically and will suffer from it.

They are better off making sure that their child gets the best education at HER level that she can. The parents can always build upon the education at home.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Quote:
I never said she was gifted. The concern is FBISD's handling of regular ed students in conjunction with the severe watering down of curriculum that has occurred today.

And I agree with my cousin's sentiments. I've seen what happens to those at Clements who are not on either an AP or GT track. They are ignored.
Maybe they're ignored because everyone knows they'll never amount to anything!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Can somebody please answer the question for me? Thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Quote:
Can somebody please answer the question for me? Thank you.
Her best bet is to start volunteering at the school on a weekly basis, get to know all of the teachers (and make sure they all LIKE her being there) and ultimately ask for a favor.

Seeing as how her child did not pass the test, getting a true favor is likely her only course of action. And, as everyone knows, the best way to get a favor is to pay a favor.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,416 times
Basically, they are asking if their is some middle ground they can qualify for that is between doing college level work and being in a class full of trouble-makers. Any help for them?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

139 posts, read 356,075 times
You may ask the guidance counselor to place the student in the G/T program on a trial basis because he/she doesn't test well at times. But like others have mentioned, and especially in Ft. Bend with all these overachieving kids with equally pushy parents...It may be a struggle. There is really no "favors".

Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Basically, they are asking if their is some middle ground they can qualify for that is between doing college level work and being in a class full of trouble-makers. Any help for them?
Thank you! I should have said that in the first place.

I never had this issue as one of my children is GT+ and the other, well, we love our other one, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: