Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 AM

44 posts, read 43,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBlue View Post
Good idea to rent an apartment close to work for 6 months. While you're getting settled in your new life those months will fly by. Get a good feel for the city and the traffic, and all the different neighborhoods - there are just so many!

For buying maybe consider Spring Branch - not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet. It's not far out from Loop 610 just off the Katy Freeway, I-10. Like a lot of Houston neighborhoods close to or inside the loop, it's one of those areas where you have groups of rough-looking fixer-uppers (and folks!) right next door to beautiful homes. But there could be some investment opportunities there.

If you decide on the burbs, I would agree with gwarnecke about east side of Katy. Hopefully Sysco lets employees use flex-time for their hours, as a lot of companies do, so you can avoid heaviest traffic times.

For live music, here's a helpful link - Music News AKA Music News Houston AKA Houston Music News, Live Music In Houston, Country Music In Houston, Blues In Houston, Rock Music In Houston, Clubs in Houston, Bars In Houston, Music Venues In Houston, Jazz In Houston, Nightlife. Tons of live music of all kinds in Houston. In fact, my husband and I had a variety band there for 14 years - fun!

If no one has said it yet, a great place to explore on a weekend or day trip is Galveston. Lots to see and do there. Check out reviews on Trip Advisor.

Weather-wise, I always thought the hottest months were June-Sept - keep in the AC as much as possible! But some days in spring and fall are the perfect 70's temps. Humidity is high except on very special weather days.

Best wishes!
Arkansas got about that hot as well, but Houston will be worse. for those really hot months, surely the early AM and sundown is somewhat ok? I do like to jog outside and ride my bike. I suppose I had better get ready to carry packages of body wipes around with me haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
Arkansas got about that hot as well, but Houston will be worse. for those really hot months, surely the early AM and sundown is somewhat ok? I do like to jog outside and ride my bike. I suppose I had better get ready to carry packages of body wipes around with me haha.
This past June I would run just before sunrise. It was bearable. That's the best I can say about it.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 AM

11 posts, read 9,228 times
Jared, it's a LITTLE cooler early mornings during the hot summer months. But high humidity sometimes makes it really HOT 'round the clock sometimes.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Summer early morning low 78 a lot of times 80 plus humid. No getting around lots of sweat.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Summer early morning low 78 a lot of times 80 plus humid. No getting around lots of sweat.
Sounds like a good way to stay nice and lean haha!

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good way to stay nice and lean haha!
It is, as long as you don't let the food scene erase your gains. I've been guilty of that from time to time.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
It is, as long as you don't let the food scene erase your gains. I've been guilty of that from time to time.
Beer is what gets me, and there is so much good beer up here in Michigan. Going to a brewery is a huge thing to do up here, and hopefully Houston has a decent culture of that. I eat well during the week so I can drink beer on the weekends haha.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
So....after being in Michigan winters Houston heat, what do you now prefer haha?

Neither so I live in Plano near DFW. It has four seasons but not a nasty cold winter. Summers are not my favorite time of year here but they turn into a great fall and spring before it is nice as well.

But Houston is a diverse global city with international energy run from there. Lots of ethnic restaurants and some clubs if you look for them.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Beer is what gets me, and there is so much good beer up here in Michigan. Going to a brewery is a huge thing to do up here, and hopefully Houston has a decent culture of that. I eat well during the week so I can drink beer on the weekends haha.
At least two local breweries have really nice, fun biergartens (Karbach and St. Arnold's).

Old 12-07-2018, 03:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
We just got Bell's down here about a year ago--that helps a lot, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston