Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:30 AM

19 posts, read 15,086 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I will be moving to Houston around July. I have been looking at condos and originally I was looking mostly in Midtown because I heard there is a lively nightlife and just more things going on there. I also read that in them very recent past Midtown is dying down a bit and places like Washington Ave in the Heights and also northern Main St. in Downtown is more happening.

I am trying to decide in the next day or two putting an offer on a condo either in Midtown or Downtown. The Midtown condo is near Bagby Park and the Downtown location is near Discovery Park and the Toyota Center. I want to live in a densely populated area as much as possible, meet new people, preferably on foot...something that feels as close Urban living as possible. From visiting and talking to a friend who lives there, as well as my broker, I know that downtown is not like other downtowns and it feels...kind of deserted? Midtown was not much better, although in both cases I didn't explore very far from the condo location.

Which one should I choose? Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 AM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
How long did you stay and how much do you know about Houston?
Where will you work?
You should first get a feel about different areas before buying a condo. Rent for few months first, then buy.
Why the hurry to buy remotely? What's your budget and requirements?
Walking around is fine, but you still will need a car...

Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Personally, I would go with Midtown. Closer to things like grocery stores, banks, dry cleaners etc. Plus, your friend's assessment of downtown as being "deserted" compared to other cities is still fairly accurate. I don't think work location factors into it much unless you work downtown and want to walk to work. Downtown and Midtown are so close together, that drive time differences to most locations will be negligible.

I agree with elnina that perhaps renting first and then buying after you've gotten a good feel for things might be a good idea.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where will you work?
You should first get a feel about different areas before buying a condo. Rent for few months first, then buy.
Great advice (as usual). Do not buy yet!

As someone who lives in a condo (but with very different goals than you), one needs to get a feel for the different parts of town before committing to a purchase like this.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Midtown is not dying and there is a lot going on in the Bagby Park area and further towards Elgin. You would be in a very walkable area.

The Discovery Green area is nice and it an easy walk to Main St and Market Square, but probably not as much action as Midtown.

I would choose the condo at Bagby Park. You could always take the train or bike into downtown. I also recommend renting for a couple of months.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where will you work?
I only stayed a weekend and I don't know much about Houston. A friend lives there and she told me Midtown was a good place to look.

My parents think renting is a waste of money if I can buy and I don't want to deal with the hassle of moving to a place I rent (hopefully is month-to-month) and then moving again. That can get pricey and is a headache.

I have a car. I just want a place I see people walking around. I grew up near Boston, been living in the middle of nowhere, want that city feel again.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Personally, I would go with Midtown. Closer to things like grocery stores, banks, dry cleaners etc. Plus, your friend's assessment of downtown as being "deserted" compared to other cities is still fairly accurate. I don't think work location factors into it much unless you work downtown and want to walk to work. Downtown and Midtown are so close together, that drive time differences to most locations will be negligible.

I agree with elnina that perhaps renting first and then buying after you've gotten a good feel for things might be a good idea.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Great advice (as usual). Do not buy yet!

As someone who lives in a condo (but with very different goals than you), one needs to get a feel for the different parts of town before committing to a purchase like this.

Thank you for your suggestion. People are making me lean towards renting first now...

But if you had to choose between Midtown and Downtown lol...?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
If I wanted to see people walking around out and about I would live in the Heights because thats where I experience that the most outside of obviously downtown during lunch on a weekday. Try to find something close to White Oak Drive and Heights Blvd. Another active area is around Rive Village. Both of those are better imo then Midtown which is overrun by panhandlers.

Sample Heights rental in good location: https://www.har.com/s/89F8c8264DaC296

Sample Rice Village Rental: https://www.har.com/s/652d1F48017c6

Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If I wanted to see people walking around out and about I would live in the Heights because thats where I experience that the most outside of obviously downtown during lunch on a weekday. Try to find something close to White Oak Drive and Heights Blvd. Another active area is around Rive Village. Both of those are better imo then Midtown which is overrun by panhandlers.

Sample Heights rental in good location: https://www.har.com/s/89F8c8264DaC296

Sample Rice Village Rental: https://www.har.com/s/652d1F48017c6
Interesting point of view.

I've read in another thread that someone had more than one friend get mugged in Midtown. But then I also have hear about (and have seen) more transients in downtown on Main Street at higher numbers (2000ish).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston