Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 PM

976 posts, read 1,057,859 times

Advertisements

I'd like to encourage those who have questioned UH to answer this question, perhaps enlighten me:

Name me ONE other public school, in the ENTIRE United States, that is:

-Less than 100 years old (UH won't turn 100 till 2027)

-Has an Endowment of $1 Billion Dollars, or more

-Has an enrollment of at least 40,000 students with over 10,000 living ON-Campus

-Has finished inside the top ten, in the two major revenue sports....Men's Basketball and Football (UH has finishes inside the top 5 in both btw)

- I could add ...that 'Isn't a Land Grant College' but I'll allow you to include those. BTW- UH is NOT a Land Grant college and DOES NOT have access the PUF, per the Texas Constitution.

I think many inside Houston are quick to point out UH's flaws but they fail to recognize how unique and extraordinary the University of Houston is .....Look at what they've built with virtually NO state support, and limited resources.

If UH continues to grow at this pace it will be the premiere public university in the state of Texas.
It's all about location.......Houston > Austin, College Station, Lubbock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Again - UH brings too much to the table to the Big 12 and that’s a threat

They have proven to build facilities without hesitation, fans will show when you play big 12 schools, location is first class

That’s like an ugly girl who is getting attention going to ask the pretty girl to join her knowing the attention is gone instantly

Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
When UH played in NRG Stadium in a game vs a major P5 opponent, Oklahoma, it sold out. And NO......UH was a heavy underdog in that game so, winning the game against a squad that made the playoffs the year before was far from a given.
Right, but how many of them were there because of Oklahoma and not because of UH?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Again - UH brings too much to the table to the Big 12 and that’s a threat

They have proven to build facilities without hesitation, fans will show when you play big 12 schools, location is first class

That’s like an ugly girl who is getting attention going to ask the pretty girl to join her knowing the attention is gone instantly
I can assure you that UH isn't a threat. The bottom line is that the big 12 does not gain much of an advantage by adding Houston when they already have the Houston market. Perhaps the big 12 should drop Baylor and add Houston. That or TCU leaving is the only way Houston gets in the conference. But i feel Texas and OU will leave the big 12 in 6 years anyway.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Right, but how many of them were there because of Oklahoma and not because of UH?

It was easily 70/30 UH. Definitely nothing worse than 60/40.

Another thing that stood out to me after attending the UH /FSU game in Atlanta was how quiet the OU fans were compared to the OU fans.

But yes the stadium was full of RED!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I think the Big 12 is most likely to ask, simply due to geography. The PAC 12 is a west coast conference that is unlikely to extend farther than it already has in Arizona, Colorado and Utah. The Big 10 is an upper midwest conference who just extended in the opposite direction to Rutgers and Maryland. They're not coming all the way to Texas for Houston. The ACC is an east coast conference and it isn't going any farther than the recent extension to Louisville and South Bend. That leaves the SEC and Big 12. I don't think the SEC needs any new schools now. They have seven schools in east and west division, and would be unlikely to invite Houston unless they invite someone else too. The Big 12 needs two more schools, especially is West Virginia ends up jumping ship to cut down on travel. Let's face it, if TCU can be a Power 5 school in the Metroplex with all the other Dallas professional teams, Houston should be in one, too. Maybe the Big 12 will also be successful courting a school like Colorado State, from the Mountain West to get their total to 12 again?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
But yes the stadium was full of RED!
As opposed to being full of Sooner crimson?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Another thing that stood out to me after attending the UH /FSU game in Atlanta was how quiet the OU fans were compared to the OU fans.
Not sure what you meant here, but I imagine a Sooner fan at a UH-Florida State tilt would probably be relatively detached.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
As opposed to being full of Sooner crimson?

It was RED not Crimson...I was there. There were some OU fans but it was overwhelmingly UH fans and the UH fans were very loud.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you meant here, but I imagine a Sooner fan at a UH-Florida State tilt would probably be relatively detached.

OU fans at UH/OU game were relatively calm and tame and as I mentioned thy were there but they didn't bring a huge amount of fans.

FSU fans at UH/FSU in Atlanta were LOUD...they did their chop and it got really loud. Then the game started and the Coogs, on the field, shut them up.

I was at both games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston