Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:33 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Remember both were in the Big East for a hot second - Del Conte did whatever it took to do so in terms of embracing UT. They knew TCU wasn’t a real threat

Dodds at the time wasn’t fond of UH and a lot of was due to bleachergate but also a public institution in Houston is a much bigger threat as UH has been successful.
I guess you ignored what was posted right above you...

TCU was playing in BCS bowls and just came off a Rose Bowl win in football. It also has one of the best overall coaches in the nation who chose to stay and continue building something, unlike U of H. And even though it's not on the level of football or hoops, the baseball team went to the CWS not too long before getting an invite to the Big XII, right before going on a run of CWS appearances. TCU has proven to be an asset to the Big XII with number of wins and multiple big time games. As for the Big East, that conference was about to fall apart and TCU (right place, right time as Mr. Football said) took that Big XII invite as soon as A&M left, right along side West Virginia.

Unless you have actual sources, I'm not getting this "begging" from Del Conte you're claiming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
again, a TCU isn't a threat compared to UH in the long term as TCU is pretty much average now once its all said and done. UH dominated the SWC and embarrassed UT at times in football so history is there. Del Conte is on record getting close to Dodds when he was at TCU. So close he ended up with the job.

UH made bigger strides than TCU in a shorter amount of time and is worthy of an invite but everyone in the league fears that. Remember that joke process they made them go through?

What does Iowa State, Baylor bring UH don't?

Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM
JJG

Quote:
again, a TCU isn't a threat compared to UH in the long term as TCU is pretty much average now once its all said and done. UH dominated the SWC and embarrassed UT at times in football so history is there. Del Conte is on record getting close to Dodds when he was at TCU. So close he ended up with the job.

UH made bigger strides than TCU in a shorter amount of time and is worthy of an invite but everyone in the league fears that. Remember that joke process they made them go through?

. . . It's been 7 years and TCU has already accomplished more in those years than about 70% of the rest of the Big XII. What do you mean "not a threat"?

I can be a TCU homer, but I also try to be realistic. Even before these recent couple decades, TCU was more successful than U of H in just football alone. The Frogs already had a couple national titles from the 30s and more conference titles at the time the the SWC broke up. Both TCU and Houston were BOTH mid-majors by 1996 and TCU did more in that time period to earn its way back to major conference status in more ways than one.

I'm not dissin' U of H at all. I wanted them in the Big XII... still do. But don't poo-poo what TCU has done (and is still doing in the grand scheme of things) as a current member while trying to make your case for Houston. Also, be a little bit more realistic.

And if you want to talk about "average", TCU had one of its worst seasons in a while, yet, STILL had a top 30 defense as well as the best defense in the Big XII. I know that probably says more about the conference than it does about the team, but it still says a lot that despite having a third or your team injured and settling for a Cheez-It Bowl, TCU still had a winning season and a trophy to show for it.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:40 PM

638 posts, read 569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I guess you ignored what was posted right above you...

TCU was playing in BCS bowls and just came off a Rose Bowl win in football. It also has one of the best overall coaches in the nation who chose to stay and continue building something, unlike U of H. And even though it's not on the level of football or hoops, the baseball team went to the CWS not too long before getting an invite to the Big XII, right before going on a run of CWS appearances. TCU has proven to be an asset to the Big XII with number of wins and multiple big time games. As for the Big East, that conference was about to fall apart and TCU (right place, right time as Mr. Football said) took that Big XII invite as soon as A&M left, right along side West Virginia.

Unless you have actual sources, I'm not getting this "begging" from Del Conte you're claiming.
As an old, OLD Red Raider I agree with this.^^^^^

Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
As an old, OLD Red Raider I agree with this.^^^^^
Good luck in the Final Four, by the way.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:

ISU about an extra 20,000 fans a game. Baylor about 10,000.

At the time of the SWC breakup, Baylor had about double UH's attendance. Baylor had a much better program all around than UH in the mid-90s. UH with their probation took a nose dive under Jenkins. TCU was the "first one out" when the Big 12 was formed, not UH.

TCU has 2 top 3 finishes in the last 10 years. If you go back to the beginning of the BCS, 1998, they are in a pretty elite club. Only 14 schools have done that. There are only 22 schools that have even done it at least once (that number only goes up to 27 if you go all the way back to 1985). So UH has not matched what TCU has done.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 AM

Mid-90s Baylor? Weren’t they busted for something with that coach from up north?

Again, UH has closed the gap quickly and are a threat and folks have known that.

Outside of Tech, why won’t tcu, Baylor, etc play UH now? Easy way to boost attendance numbers overnight. It’s like their intentionally keeping them off as the basketball and football runs proved you can win big in Houston.

TCU did it right in football I’ll give them that but I wonder is UH being a public, large school a threat to mid-size privates like TCU and Baylor long term?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 AM
JJG

Quote:

Outside of Tech, why won’t tcu, Baylor, etc play UH now? Easy way to boost attendance numbers overnight. It’s like their intentionally keeping them off as the basketball and football runs proved you can win big in Houston.
No offense, but since joining the Big XII, we've scheduled Ohio State, LSU, Arkansas on a home & home (scheduled when they were a decent SEC school), as well as Pac 12 and ACC schools in the future, so what reason would the program need to put down another in-state school? SMU is already taking that spot just because of the 100 year old cross-town rivalry.

Quote:
TCU did it right in football I’ll give them that but I wonder is UH being a public, large school a threat to mid-size privates like TCU and Baylor long term?
Being a small private school wasn't that much of a problem for 70 years, and that's with LESS profile and less money in the SWC...

Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM

But things have changed. UH needs to be at the table but obviously folks fear them. Wasn’t LSU and OSU in Arlington? You made it when those games are at home.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
JJG

Quote:
But things have changed. UH needs to be at the table but obviously folks fear them. Wasn’t LSU and OSU in Arlington? You made it when those games are at home.
What's changed?

The Big XII got what they wanted (an extra conference championship game) without having to add teams.

And those are two of the biggest programs in the country with two of the biggest followings in America, so it's practically an away game, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston