Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 03:50 PM

55 posts, read 39,697 times

Advertisements

Just would like to hear your thoughts.. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,770 times
My wife and I don't make a ton of money and we don't want to live too far out in the suburbs so we rent. I'd rather live where I want as a renter than make significant compromises in order to be a homeowner. You only live once, and a change in the market is inevitable. If for some reason a buyer's market never returns, we're living happily; if on the other hand a buyer's market does return, we'll be glad we waited.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:53 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,801 times
Husband and I own - paid off next year if all goes as planned. No mortgage! Love that our housing cost is stable as husband is a 100% disabled vet and we pay no property tax. Insurance may go up a bit...

I was a renter most of my life until we bought the home we are now in. Had a condo for a few years in another state that we literally took a financial bath on in 2008. This house has just made us money.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 PM

472 posts, read 337,167 times
If you’re new to an area, rent. If you haven’t done extensive research on the local housing market, rent. If you’re very young, rent. If you can’t afford to gamble, rent. If you’re not settled in your career or household situation, rent. Don’t gamble.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:22 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,329,351 times
Short term rent. Long term, owning property is among the easiest and most reliable ways to build wealth.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM

467 posts, read 779,848 times
I look at the rent vs own like this

Inflation is inevitable - so if I can fix my housing cost by locking in a 30 year payment, why wouldn’t I do that? Your rent will rise with inflation... supply and demand. Fixing your cost long term is a hedge against increasing housing costs.

Many will say owning has cons such as property taxes, insurance & repairs. They don’t realize they are already paying that... just for someone else.

Majority of Americans are terrible savers and great spenders. Owning a home is not an investment but rather a forced savings account that (hopefully) appreciates in value, which allows one to (hopefully) pay off and retire / tap for equity.

My .02

Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 AM

344 posts, read 347,372 times
The NY Times rent vs buy calculator can help with the decision. Houston market appreciation is a big unknown. Generally, owning a house is not a great investment vs the stock market, it is a personal decision to "pay" for the privilege of owning. In our case, living inside the loop was a priority and for the equivalent rent nothing desirable was available.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 PM

123 posts, read 100,777 times
Would rent until you have steady job location / know you want to live in an area for 5+ years. Don't make the mistake of putting a majority of your net worth into a down payment in a house - a house can be a great investment, but it can be illiquid and you don't want to be sweating if you have to sell into a buyer's market (e.g. you have a sudden job relocation and need to sell quickly) and are forced to take a loss on your equity investment.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,588,143 times
As a previous posted said. Short term, rent and get familiar with what you like and how living in an area is working out.
Once you are comfortable, owning provides lower cost(assuming you dont buy a pile of crap that needs $). if you buy in a popular area you can easily get your money back or more.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM

92 posts, read 60,817 times
Rent if you're still trying to figure out which neighborhood/area you want to live.
Once you figure out location and will prob be there for 3-5+ years then buy.

You're either paying your own mortgage or someone else's mortgage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: