Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 07:55 AM

55 posts, read 39,821 times

Advertisements

Are the mortgage rules/laws in Texas more stringent? Or have the rules/laws loosen up? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM

15,579 posts, read 7,596,973 times
More stringent than what?

Old 08-09-2019, 12:39 PM

I was told mortgage rules are more stringent as there is no income tax here.. what they can rely on is property tax....

Old 08-09-2019, 01:44 PM

455 posts, read 527,702 times
I think your question and the thread header are 2 different questions.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think big banks vs other lenders follow different rules (laws/regulations). But you could be right that one may have more stringent internal policies than another. You should just work with a broker and have them shop around for the best mortgage they can find depending on your situation.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 AM

467 posts, read 781,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
I think your question and the thread header are 2 different questions.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think big banks vs other lenders follow different rules (laws/regulations). But you could be right that one may have more stringent internal policies than another. You should just work with a broker and have them shop around for the best mortgage they can find depending on your situation.
Loan originators / Loan officers work for different companies. Each company has levels of risk and layers associated with the risk when underwriting a loan. Some big banks are very risk adverse where a local credit union might not have a problem with the same terms.

It also depends if they can sell the loans on the secondary mortgage market to Freddy or Fannie - some lenders only do one or the other. Some do both.

Some lenders hold the note and don’t resell - called portfolio lenders. They usually have worse terms for the borrower but can do deals the big banks won’t touch.

Usually a local lender is a much better customer experience than a big bank

Old 08-12-2019, 05:46 AM

anyone has experience with BOA mortgage? I am down to 2 options.. BOA or a lender based in Austin

Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,444,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-1979 View Post
anyone has experience with BOA mortgage? I am down to 2 options.. BOA or a lender based in Austin
Given that BOA is a major lender, I think you will find feedback that is all over the map. We used them for our prior mortage, and they were just fine. This time we ended up with Wells Fargo because they had the best rates, and they were fine too (and shockingly didn't sell our mortgage the day we closed).

Are you going standard 30-year mortgage, construction loan, or what?

Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Going with standard 30 year

Old 08-20-2019, 02:36 PM

12 posts, read 5,774 times
In my experience it's good to get about 3 different quotes. There is a standard plattform that big banks have to follow (or any lender that plans on selling your mortgage on the secondary market). Most lending institutions put your loan package together and sale it on the secondary market (for a profit). Credit Unions and private institutions that underwrite their loans in house basically make their own qualifying rules. Since they don't plan on putting your loan on the market they can bend/adjust the rules that work best for them.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. Definitely get a BOA quote and the other institution and compare what works best for you. I have some great lenders that i work with if you want to inbox me i will give you their info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: