Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 03:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times

Advertisements

UT does not differentiate the top 10%. Ten percent is ten percent. Doesn’t matter how challenging the school you attended is. Now this is for auto admit only. (And isn’t it like top 7% now??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
We moved our kids from private (Awty, grades PK3-8) to public at 9th grade, not in Houston but to a school on the west coast where we have a vacation home. We planned ahead to do it explicitly for the children to experience a big life transition before leaving for college, and we intended it as a temporary move with a return to Awty for the IB, 11-12th. Our kids were extremely reluctant to leave but it didn't take long for them to decide they want to graduate on the west coast. Lifestyle is a big factor in their decision, principally they started rowing and are all in to crew now, and DH was a college rower too, and rowing isn't really possible in Houston.

Our public high school is a hybrid neighborhood/magnet school which I *think* is different from the HISD magnets like Carnegie and Energy, but perhaps more akin to Lamar. My kids were ineligible for magnet testing because we already owned a home in the school zone and any course at the school is open to everyone - i.e. there is no segregation of magnet and neighborhood students at the high school level, only separation to the degree that the students themselves choose different courses. However! One factor I had not considered was class rank when moving to a school where many kids are working years ahead, not just one year ahead. For example, here while my freshman is taking Geometry (same as Awty and one year ahead of most public 9th graders in Algebra 1), there are highly gifted freshmen already taking Calculus and beyond. Even with perfect GPAs in Honors and AP level courses, my kids barely break the top 25% in weighted class rank here - and will never be able to catch up to those students. UT-Austin remains our state school and touring it earlier this fall, the admissions officer told us directly - the first thing they filter for is class rank.

It is an open secret that private schools seldom accommodate students with special needs unless designed specifically for those students. I recall several students at Awty having been quietly "invited to leave" over the years for poor fit, etc. - kids with dyslexia or with poor organizational skills/executive function. The public schools are required by law to accommodate student special needs but of course the degree to which individual schools comply varies.
So true on the math comment. When I was in school in MD, and it is still true, the public school AP track, had us taking algebra 2 in middle school. Here in FBISD, unless you test out, if you are on the AP track, you take it as a HS sophomore!

Old 11-30-2019, 04:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,200 times
I believe it is actually 6% now. Changed a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
UT does not differentiate the top 10%. Ten percent is ten percent. Doesn’t matter how challenging the school you attended is. Now this is for auto admit only. (And isn’t it like top 7% now??)

Old 11-30-2019, 04:06 PM

75 posts, read 110,080 times
Quote:
I don’t know the exact number offhand but was just using top 10% as an example.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:15 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,097 times
Quote:
So true on the math comment. When I was in school in MD, and it is still true, the public school AP track, had us taking algebra 2 in middle school. Here in FBISD, unless you test out, if you are on the AP track, you take it as a HS sophomore!
And alongside the math courses as prerequisites, those students are eligible for and start taking AP science courses much earlier too. One of our friends headed to CalTech directly after junior year, basically having exhausted the myriad science options. This student scored a 5 on the AP Computer Science exam as a 7th grader!

UT-Austin auto-admission cutoff is 6%.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:16 PM

6%- wow!!

Old 12-01-2019, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 15,741 times
Yes, I know of 2 families that have moved from private middle to Lamar for high school. Both for sports.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:07 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoHOS View Post
With UT’s emphasis on class rank, do they not differentiate between the top 10% at Lamar vs St John?
Quote:
Top 6% More info here https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/...hman-admission

That automatic admission doesn't mean you will get your major of choice. UT Engineering doesn't include auto admission as a criteria, and is competitive, very competitive.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:03 PM

35 posts, read 60,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonianmom View Post
We also have two kids in a private school which only goes up to 8th grade, and will be forced to decide between public or private for high school. We haven’t decided yet, but I think unless your kids are going to St Johns, many of the magnet schools are better than private schools in terms of academics.
Agree. When it comes to academics, vanguard/magnet schools are much better than most private schools (with the exception of St Johns)

Old 12-01-2019, 09:48 PM

123 posts, read 100,635 times
Quote:
If you take Algebra 2 in middle school, what math classes are you taking as a freshman/sophomore in high school? Pre-calc and AP calculus? Then what for junior/senior year, since there are no other AP math classes besides calculus (not including AP stats)? There was only one kid I knew who did Algebra 2 in 8th grade (he ended up getting a PhD in Math from Michigan - he took like DiffEq/Multi Calc from a local community college in latter part of high school), while everyone else on the AP Calc track was taking Alg 2 as a sophomore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: