Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 13,623 times

Advertisements

My husband has been asked to move to Houston. He is taking the job, but we are debating on when we should move. My son is currently a junior in HS. He has maintained straight A's throughout HS in our current state. His current HS has a 5 point scale for AP classes. He has a 4.4. He would most likely get a scholarship to a state school in Alabama (Auburn or Univ of Alabama). Obviously, the schools in Texas are more highly ranked than Alabama. My first question is if he enters high school as a senior would he be a considered a resident of Texas for college? We would move in June giving him about 14 months in Texas before college. I am reading conflicting information online. Some say 3 years in HS, while others say 12 months in state.

Next question is how do they rank incoming seniors with the rest of the class? I know you need to be in the top 6 or 7% to be automatically admitted to UT Austin. Would his GPA just transfer after being converted to a 6 point scale? I think he would have a 4.9 or so after the conversion.

I think we are in an unusual situation. I can't see paying out of state tuition (50 grand a year or so). We need to make our move when it makes sense for my son. My husband can commute to Houston for a year and a half, but it would be taxing on our family. If TX would not consider my son a resident I think my son needs to graduate in AL. I would love any insight. I tried to call several Universities, but they are all closed for Christmas break
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 11:56 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,175,550 times
we moved to Houston in July 2018 from europe. daughter applied to texas universities for 2019-2020 year. no problem establishing texas residency. when we applied, one university immediately accepted her in-state residency status and the other required me to show a pay stub at the end of the 12 months to prove in state residency. so i do not believe you will have any problem qualifying for instate residency if you have 14 months in texas before college. I cant answer any of your other questions.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:23 PM

15,691 posts, read 7,719,577 times
Details on residency for state schools are here https://admissions.utexas.edu/reside...e-requirements

Not totally clear, but the rules linked on that site indicate that if you've lived in Texas for 12 months, you are a resident.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:56 PM

It’s the clause about graduating from a Texas High school and residing in Texas for 36 months prior to graduation. It seems like a big requirement to have the student live in TX for 36 months to gain resident status.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:08 PM
bu2

24,169 posts, read 15,024,685 times
Class rank depends on the individual school. They all have their own rules. Mine, for example, used only the last two years of high school. Others use all 4. They may or may not use grades from a different school.

Historically, residence has been 12 months. The link the person provided says 12 months. Don't know where you are coming up with 36.

One other feature in the past (I don't know if it still applies, but a good chance it does), was that if you had a competitive scholarship available to Texas residents, you could get in state tuition.

Another possibility open to you is that the University of Alabama has a lot of scholarships to out of state residents to reduce out of state tuition.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:25 PM

The 36 month phrasing is under the high school requirement. If you click on more info it appears.
Thank you for the information! I will just have to wait until the high schools open back up to answer my questions. I am just feeling bad that my son positioned himself so well, and I don’t want to hurt his chances at any schools. Thx again!

Old 12-26-2019, 02:26 PM

15,691 posts, read 7,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri King View Post
The 36 month phrasing is under the high school requirement. If you click on more info it appears.
Thank you for the information! I will just have to wait until the high schools open back up to answer my questions. I am just feeling bad that my son positioned himself so well, and I don’t want to hurt his chances at any schools. Thx again!
That 36 month requirement is for specific situations. Look at the second option, Establishing Domicile:

Requirements
If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months, as evidenced by:
Gainful employment in Texas;
Note: Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.
Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence;
Ownership and operation of a business in Texas; or
Marriage for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Old 12-27-2019, 06:55 PM

388 posts, read 552,325 times
Go to College confidential and post in the Texas schools subforum, especially UT/TAMU. You will get the real deal from there. In reality your kid will be OOS for the application but instate for tuition, and his rank will be based on his previous school at the end of 11th, not reassigned in Texas for college apps. IMHO kids need to have their applications submitted to Texas schools in July/August when Apply Texas opens. His applications to most schools (do apply to UA for sure, lots of Texas kids go there for the money) should be submitted completed before senior year starts, he needs all his recommendations from his school up to 11th. Get this all in order before he leaves his old school, talk to his GC. Make sure you know how competitive UT is, most spots are filled by auto admits, and being OOS for the application process but instate for tuition is just a disadvantage difficult to get around, but pick up the phone and make sure to let the admission people know your situation. You should know that Texas is packed with super high achieving kids, has a big population with two desirable publics. Make sure you apply to safety schools in Texas like TT, UTD, UH.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I posted in the forum you suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: