Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 PM

59 posts, read 46,982 times

Advertisements

Any update on who UT might sell their land to? It’s been in limbo for a couple of years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 10:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganadocoog View Post
Any update on who UT might sell their land to? It’s been in limbo for a couple of years now.
They never had any intention of selling that land. They purposely paid too much for it, and now they have placed so many conditions on any potential buyers, they should be pretty confident that it will never sell at anywhere near the price they paid, which will give them an excuse to one day say, "what the hell lets build a UT Data Center, or whatever on it. U.T.A.H, coming to Southwest Houston someday, hopefully, soon.....

Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
There hasn't been any news recently concerning that land.

As for the need of a Data Center in the city of Houston, UH has already got that covered. And since UH is an established, major research institution and one of the largest economic engines in the entire city, there is absolutely no need to waste taxpayers money on on duplication of resources for that boondoggle of a project that the UT system was trying to push through.
https://www.uh.edu/data-science-institute/

Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
There hasn't been any news recently concerning that land.

As for the need of a Data Center in the city of Houston, UH has already got that covered. And since UH is an established, major research institution and one of the largest economic engines in the entire city, there is absolutely no need to waste taxpayers money on on duplication of resources for that boondoggle of a project that the UT system was trying to push through.
https://www.uh.edu/data-science-institute/
The U of H is a great institution and a super economic driver, but Houston needs all the help it can get to diversify it's economy.

The University of Texas is also a great institution and a huge economic driver for the state of Texas within which Houston resides. I've said it before, and I will say it till I'm blue in the face, If a major prestigious institution wants to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create what promises to be a great asset for this city, how foolhardy would it be to reject that ?

Houston is part of Texas and the Greater Houston area has been sorely underserved by the University of Texas system for way too long. Stop the ignorance, U.T.A.H. coming to the Greater Houston area, hopefully soon , but certainly sooner or later..

Last edited by Jack Lance; 12-29-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2019, 10:19 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The U of H is a great institution and a super economic driver, but Houston needs all the help it can get to diversify it's economy.

The University of Texas is also a great institution and a huge economic driver for the state of Texas within which Houston resides. I've said it before, and I will say it till I'm blue in the face, If a major prestigious institution wants to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create what promises to be a great asset for this city, how foolhardy would it be to reject that ?

Houston is part of Texas and the Greater Houston area has been sorely underserved by the University of Texas system for way too long. Stop the ignorance, U.T.A.H. coming to the Greater Houston area, hopefully soon , but certainly sooner or later..
I would be in favor of a UT campus in Houston so long as the University of Houston is properly funded along with the new UT campus. Houston is big enough for two great research universities. I agree with Jack on this one that a UT presence would be good for the city of Houston.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:17 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I would be in favor of a UT campus in Houston so long as the University of Houston is properly funded along with the new UT campus. Houston is big enough for two great research universities. I agree with Jack on this one that a UT presence would be good for the city of Houston.
Completely agreed with both of you. I hope that all of this silly tribalism doesn't win out in the end and we can add another great research university here at some point. This piece of land could easily serve as a catalyst for all sorts of other development in that part of south Houston, which could certainly use it.

We are a metro of 7 million people. Honestly, we could use 2 or 3 more great research universities in Houston alone - for such a large state, Texas lacks institutions of higher education commensurate with its economic status. We export a lot of great students needlessly, and many of those never come back.

Yes UH should be treated fairly, but not at the expense of the city and region as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston