Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fire Bill O'brien?
No, we won the division and a playoff game. Stay the course. 18 32.14%
Yes, he sucks at game management and will never win "the big one". 38 67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,661,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Lets have some names ? You don't quit a job unless you have something to replace it , the same goes for Head Coaches...
1.Eric Bieniemy -Kansas City offensive coordinator (the man who help put 51 pts up on the Texans)
2.Robert Saleh- San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator
3.Josh Mcdaniels- New England offensive coordinator
4.Kris Richard- Dallas Cowboys secondary coach/DC

Hell Jason Garrett wouldn't have let his team get blown out that bad and he's not good. Bottom line, there's better candidates out there. It starts from the top and the front office in Texans are a joke. They'll squander superstars on this roster and never come close to sniffing a legit SB. I don't care how good KC is, you don't give up that many pts that fast. A lot of that has to do with coaching on both sides of the ball.

6 seasons and 2 playoff wins should be enough to consider trying something new. Texans former DC is in the AFC title. That says a lot right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 11:00 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,790,045 times
Quote:
If there was a real prospect of getting a better coach then of course I would say have at it, but we need to think about what's out there to replace O'Brian before we fly off the handle and fire him.

Does anybody have any ideas ?
Eric Bieniemy (OC for the Chiefs) unfortunately due to his skin color he’s going to have to prove himself a little more

Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 7,542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1.Eric Bieniemy -Kansas City offensive coordinator (the man who help put 51 pts up on the Texans)

Hell Jason Garrett wouldn't have let his team get blown out that bad and he's not good. Bottom line, there's better candidates out there. It starts from the top and the front office in Texans are a joke. They'll squander superstars on this roster and never come close to sniffing a legit SB. I don't care how good KC is, you don't give up that many pts that fast. A lot of that has to do with coaching on both sides of the ball.

6 seasons and 2 playoff wins should be enough to consider trying something new. Texans former DC is in the AFC title. That says a lot right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Eric Bieniemy (OC for the Chiefs) unfortunately due to his skin color he’s going to have to prove himself a little more
OK second question will any of these names consider leaving their current positions to be the head coach of the Texans, if so I'm open..

Old 01-13-2020, 11:24 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Is it too late to go after Urban Meyer? Or Lincoln Riley? Frankly, anybody would be an upgrade at this point.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:42 AM

53 posts, read 45,100 times
Quote:
O'Brian made some horrible calls but he did have them ready to play at the start which was the only reason the game was as competitive as it was. The Texans had no answer for Mahomes and Kelsey. Romeo Crennel has scene his last game with the Texans though, his defenses never seem to be able to hold leads even against lesser opponents.

A sad day for Houston professional sports for sure....
Really?!!! I'm not an expert in American Football but even I know that you run the ball and milk the clock IF YOU FIND YOURSELF UP 24-0. And also, let the opponent drive as long as possible - don't give them a 30 yard field or, even, 10 yards.

Everybody expected the Chiefs to respond furiously after going down 24-0. Everyone knew coming into the game that it was going to be all Kelce because of Texans depth at CB. Everybody knew that we won in regular season by running the ball efficiently and keeping KC offense on the sidelines. I know these things and I only started following football 15 years ago. How did O'Brien not know these? Throwing the ball when you're ahead 24-0? After the Packers went up 21-3, they ran the ball and milked the clock ONLY throwing when necessary. Same with the Titans! Each run play can take up to 40 seconds off the clock. Incomplete pass plays take 5 seconds off the clock.

Secondly, why kick to Hardman? Why not boot the ball out of the stadium and let the Chiefs drive 75 yards? Instead, Hardman returned the ball 60 yards.

Offense and special teams gave up 28 of the 51 points. I feel sorry for the defense and Crennel because it will be on record that Crennel's D have up 51 points (that's not to say that the defense didn't underperform yesterday).

Old 01-13-2020, 12:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToKaty007 View Post
Really?!!! I'm not an expert in American Football but even I know that you run the ball and milk the clock IF YOU FIND YOURSELF UP 24-0. And also, let the opponent drive as long as possible - don't give them a 30 yard field or, even, 10 yards.

Everybody expected the Chiefs to respond furiously after going down 24-0. Everyone knew coming into the game that it was going to be all Kelce because of Texans depth at CB. Everybody knew that we won in regular season by running the ball efficiently and keeping KC offense on the sidelines. I know these things and I only started following football 15 years ago. How did O'Brien not know these? Throwing the ball when you're ahead 24-0? After the Packers went up 21-3, they ran the ball and milked the clock ONLY throwing when necessary. Same with the Titans! Each run play can take up to 40 seconds off the clock. Incomplete pass plays take 5 seconds off the clock.

Secondly, why kick to Hardman? Why not boot the ball out of the stadium and let the Chiefs drive 75 yards? Instead, Hardman returned the ball 60 yards.

Offense and special teams gave up 28 of the 51 points. I feel sorry for the defense and Crennel because it will be on record that Crennel's D have up 51 points (that's not to say that the defense didn't underperform yesterday).
You make some great points, the Texans actually outgained the Chiefs by about 50 yards of total offence, so field position was crucial to the rapidity of their comeback, but even when the Chiefs did have a long field they were still scoring quickly ripping off 15 to 25 yards on every play so it took them 2 1/2 minutes to score instead of 1 minute. My point is I think they would have overcome that deficit with or without the blunders of the Texans offence and special teams. BTW trying to kill clock too soon in any game is not a good idea, although that is what the fake punt was designed to do.

I think O'Brian felt they needed to score on every possession and he couldn't afford to punt even in the 2nd quarter on his own end of the field. Make no mistake about it I thought it was a bad call, he obviously got carried away with his respect of the KC offence.

Should he lose his job ? If there are better choices out there a coach is always in danger of losing their jobs.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 29 days ago)

8,479 posts, read 5,620,927 times
To be frank, the Chiefs are a better football team. The way they lost was awful. It should have been closer, but the better team did win.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM

53 posts, read 45,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To be frank, the Chiefs are a better football team. The way they lost was awful. It should have been closer, but the better team did win.
Lol...do you think there is a big gulf between Mahomes and Watson? No! Mahomes is just better coached.

Which team has the better WRs? Texans. Chiefs have the better TE.

Offensive line - According to football outsiders, we rank 22 in run blocking, KC is 28. Pass, Houston is 27 while KC is 4th.

I think defense is a wash - we have a better front 7 and they have a better secondary.

That does NOT spell out the better team. To me, it just says a better coached team. That's why I think O'Brien should be fired - unless we are content with "getting beat in the playoff". That's the tag that the national media attaches to O'Brien - "he's good to get you beat in the playoffs".

And, to be honest, we only qualify for the playoff because we play in one of the worst divisions in the NFL. First, Jaguars, were ascending, then Bortles held them back. Colts started trending up last year, But Luck's injury and retirement put paid to that. And we only won this year because Titans started Mariota for the first 5 games. Let Jaguars and Titans sort out their issues and start well next year and Texans won't be in the playoffs.

Maybe then, the Texans owners will wake up.

He was supposed to be a QB whisperer, but he NEVER developed a good QB - Watson was a finished product when he was drafted.

He is supposed to be an offensive mind, but the Texans have been below average on offense the last 3 season.

Watson's skillset is always favorably compared to Mahomes, Jackson and Wilson, but he's RARELY in the MVP or all-pro discussion because of O'Brien's limitations as a coach.

And, while I love Crennel, the Texan secondary has not been good in the last 4-5 seasons, just look at the opposing QBs' high completion rate against the Texans...and if they don't complete a pass, a Texan DB will be called for holding.

Quote:
OK second question will any of these names consider leaving their current positions to be the head coach of the Texans, if so I'm open..
Yes, due to the Texans being regarded as a stable organization AND playing in a relatively weak conference, a lot of coaches will jump at the chance to come here...ESPECIALLY WITH WATSON AND HOPKINS STILL IN THEIR PRIME!!!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,008,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Look, KC may have been the better overall team. They may very well have been able to come back to make the game competitive even if we had great coaching.

But the total 2nd quarter collapse, and lack of adjustments thereafter, do indicate some coaching inferiority issues for the Texas, especially with some obvious terrible calls. BOB has enough playoff experience at this point that it shouldn't keep happening. RC has some Super Bowls under his belt, yes, but was utterly ineffective yesterday once KC got going. Mahomes is Mahomes, I get that, but is Kelce really THAT good?

The Texans made Kelce seem that good. I stood up for literally just about 2 minutes and it was touchdown, touchdown, touchdown. Those 3 in a row were a hot mess

Shameful.

I'm 100% convinced O'Brien has some dirt on the McNairs. Rick Smith too. They must be shady and let their higher ups in the know thinking their "boys" and in the club. Rick Smith should have been fired long before he "left" to take care of his wife. That fool didn't know how to pick talent to support the team at all. He was just blindfolded stuffing things in his shirt seeing what he could get.

O'Brien skates on by. Doing just the bare minimum to keep on trucking but never really waking the F up and doing his job. He should have BEEN gone like 3 years ago.

He'll be back. He knows something....either that or they don't like letting people go.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,661,167 times
Quote:
They'll inherit a franchise QB and one of the best WR's in the game in Hopkins. If the money is right they'll come on board. They were already open for interviewing other teams. Texans of course didn't call cause they were still in the playoffs. I'm inclined to believe that Texans won't fire Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Is it too late to go after Urban Meyer? Or Lincoln Riley? Frankly, anybody would be an upgrade at this point.
Not to sure but I know Houston probably won't give them a call.

Either way Texans front office is starting to look a lot like Cowboys. 2 playoff wins in 6 seasons is unacceptable. It's pretty obvious Bill is not the answer. He's limiting Deshaun.

And it really is not all his fault. It's the front office. I mean how do you get rid of Clowney but keep JJ who hasn't played a full season since how long? I understand he's a franchise darling and future HOFer but they should have traded JJ in exchange for more picks or a good player.

But Bill's excuse as to why he didn't go for it on 4th and 1 is hilarious. Shows why he isn't qualified to be a head coach of this team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: