Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fire Bill O'brien?
No, we won the division and a playoff game. Stay the course. 18 32.14%
Yes, he sucks at game management and will never win "the big one". 38 67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM

41 posts, read 32,004 times

Advertisements

That was an epic collapse today, one for the ages. For those of us who have been around long enough, it felt similar to the Oilers collapse to the Bills in 1993. In many ways, this was worse. At least in '93 we made it to an overtime. This went from a 24 point lead to a blowout the other way, pretty much unheard of.

So anyway, is it time to cut BOB loose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Terrible terrible loss and should finally be the end of his tenure. And to think the Texans had Vrabel. Should have fired O'Brien a little earlier and promoted Vrabel.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeway Man View Post
That was an epic collapse today, one for the ages. For those of us who have been around long enough, it felt similar to the Oilers collapse to the Bills in 1993. In many ways, this was worse. At least in '93 we made it to an overtime. This went from a 24 point lead to a blowout the other way, pretty much unheard of.

So anyway, is it time to cut BOB loose?
There's a big difference between the Oilers meltdown and this Texans loss to Kansas City today, The Oilers were the better team in their loss which was a choke. Today the Chiefs were obviously the better team. The Texans got a early lead but it was mostly due to Chiefs mistakes and once they stopped making mistakes they showed how much better they were man for man.

O'Brian made some horrible calls but he did have them ready to play at the start which was the only reason the game was as competitive as it was. The Texans had no answer for Mahomes and Kelsey. Romeo Crennel has scene his last game with the Texans though, his defenses never seem to be able to hold leads even against lesser opponents.

A sad day for Houston professional sports for sure....

Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Who runs a fake punt at their own 30-yard line midway through the second quarter, leading 24-7?

The guy who made that call should be fired, at minimum.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Who runs a fake punt at their own 30-yard line midway through the second quarter, leading 24-7?

The guy who made that call should be fired, at minimum.
I agree that was a bad call, but I think they knew they couldn't stop the KC offence and tried to keep them off the field. A worse call may have been to kick a field goal on 4th and 1 deep in KC territory to make it 24-0 had they gone for it and eventually scored a TD instead of a field goal that may have demoralized the KC bench and taken a lot of air out of any possible rally

Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,022,267 times
I’m not a fan of O’Brien... he should have been fired a long time ago in my opinion. Hopefully this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but I doubt it. For some reason the McNair’s love this guy.

In terms of the game, this was not as bad as the Buffalo loss... Even with a 24-0 lead I never let myself get excited... and some people don’t believe in momentum!

Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I’m not a fan of O’Brien... he should have been fired a long time ago in my opinion. Hopefully this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but I doubt it. For some reason the McNair’s love this guy.

In terms of the game, this was not as bad as the Buffalo loss... Even with a 24-0 lead I never let myself get excited... and some people don’t believe in momentum!
If there was a real prospect of getting a better coach then of course I would say have at it, but we need to think about what's out there to replace O'Brian before we fly off the handle and fire him.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

Old 01-12-2020, 09:20 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,346 times
Regardless of what anyone thinks of O'Brien or his play calls, after the first quarter KC scored nearly every time they touched the football. Did anyone really expect the Texans to score over 50 points? Even a very well played offensive game by the Texans wouldn't have helped.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:26 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Inexcusable loss. Squandered what was probably JJ Watt's last chance to play in a Super Bowl and also ruined what would have been a fantastic storyline for the AFC Championship Game with Houston's new franchise playing their old one for a trip to the Super Bowl.

The most shocking thing about that game was how fast that 24-0 lead was blown. I clocked it and it took about 45 minutes real time. KC scored their first 3 TD's in 20 minutes. It may be a long time before we see anything like that happen again.

I think the Oilers fired their DC and secondary coach after the '93 Buffalo choke, but the head coach survived. Not so sure that should happen this time around. O'Brien has been there a while now and a lot of people down there wanted him gone before this debacle.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,833 times
If we didn't trade Clowney for peanuts and draft "PI" Johnson Jr. we would have won.

Doesn't excuse our HC or DC tho, we need to clean house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: