U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2020, 01:17 PM
 
81 posts, read 36,701 times
Reputation: 88

Advertisements

The commute from energy corridor to the Heights would not be a fun one. It could easily take me up to 45min-1 hour to get home. Mornings are easy breezy. But its very frustrating when you don't live THAT far but it takes you a really long time to get home. That build up between 610 to Washington Ave. is horrible. If I didn't have kids but wanted a single-family home somewhat close to EC, I would consider spring valley area (north of I-10) or Briargrove Park which is just inside the beltway (however, it did flood in certain areas). While parking is a pain, CityCentre has lots of nice restaurants/shops similar to what you would get living inside the loop.

Last edited by LadyMill00; 01-23-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Houston/The Hague
1,116 posts, read 1,141,393 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMill00 View Post
The commute from energy corridor to the Heights would not be a fun one. It could easily take me up to 45min-1 hour to get home. Mornings are easy breezy. But its very frustrating when you don't live THAT far but it takes you a really long time to get home. That build up between 610 to Washington Ave. is horrible.
You're not wrong! On days that I leave the office (in Energy Corridor) to head into town for an after-work event, I'm amazed by how inbound traffic is often as bad as outbound traffic along certain stretches of I-10.

The HOT lanes are helpful, though. For now at least, you can drive from Hwy 6 to 610 for $1. I wouldn't be surprised if they raise this substantially in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Status: "all photos ©2007-2021/jfre81" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: ✶✶✶✶
15,061 posts, read 27,679,620 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
You're not wrong! On days that I leave the office (in Energy Corridor) to head into town for an after-work event, I'm amazed by how inbound traffic is often as bad as outbound traffic along certain stretches of I-10.
But you know what, if we add eight more lanes it'll fix it for good this time.




John Culberson's out of Congress now, but his legacy lives on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,609 posts, read 1,394,452 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupulin View Post
Hello potential future neighbors! My wife and I are contemplating a move to Houston's west side. Still considering the job ... and trying to determine what our living situation would look like.

Based on the following criteria, I would love to read any suggestions you have on where we should focus our home search (assuming we do this).
  • Job would be in the Energy Corridor, and we'd like the commute to be under 30 minutes.
  • We want a single-family home in a safe, non-flood-prone area.
  • We have no kids, so we couldn't care less about school ratings.
  • Budget is $550k (we're OK with reno, but the home + reno should be under $550).
  • We'd like to be close to walking paths, parks, etc. and other dog friendly areas. (Bonus points if the neighborhood is very walkable.)
  • We'd like to be close (either a walk or a short drive) to restaurants, breweries, pubs, good grocery stores.

Do we sound like Sugar Land people? Or should we look at other areas, such as the Energy Corridor itself, west of Houston's 610 loop, or maybe even Katy? Is the area north of the Energy Corridor / I-10 nice?

Finding a home with decent property taxes is also a concern, but the taxes don't seem to be congruent with home prices or cities, and they're not all based on just a percentage of the home's value like most places in the U.S. It's confusing that one $400k home might only pay $6,000 in taxes per year, yet another $400k home might pay $12,000 per year. But I guess we'll have to sort this factor out later.

Are there any other things we should be considering that I haven't thought of?

Thanks a lot for your advice!
You can get a decent house in 77084 area for about 250K. Fantastic commute to Energy Corridor! Why need to pay more?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM
Status: "all photos ©2007-2021/jfre81" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: ✶✶✶✶
15,061 posts, read 27,679,620 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
You can get a decent house in 77084 area for about 250K
"Recently updated" as of 2018 if you know what I mean....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,218 posts, read 2,585,753 times
Reputation: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
"Recently updated" as of 2018 if you know what I mean....
Yeah especially in Bear Creek...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,609 posts, read 1,394,452 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah especially in Bear Creek...
Not Bear Creek

https://www.har.com/homedetail/0-huf...-77084/3795536 : new construction (2019)

https://www.har.com/homedetail/18318...-77084/3443708 : old construction but not Bear Creek and closer to Energy Corridor

https://www.har.com/homedetail/6743-...77084/13578479 : built in 2015

https://www.har.com/homedetail/3542-...77084/14434629 : wow 2019, outstanding location, super close to Energy Corridor
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Status: "all photos ©2007-2021/jfre81" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: ✶✶✶✶
15,061 posts, read 27,679,620 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Not Bear Creek

https://www.har.com/homedetail/0-huf...-77084/3795536 : new construction (2019)

https://www.har.com/homedetail/18318...-77084/3443708 : old construction but not Bear Creek and closer to Energy Corridor

https://www.har.com/homedetail/6743-...77084/13578479 : built in 2015

https://www.har.com/homedetail/3542-...77084/14434629 : wow 2019, outstanding location, super close to Energy Corridor


*cackles maniacally*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 PM
 
3,214 posts, read 1,467,355 times
Reputation: 6045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
But you know what, if we add eight more lanes it'll fix it for good this time.




John Culberson's out of Congress now, but his legacy lives on.
The Katy Freeway expansion add a huge amount of capacity. Without the expansion, commute times from Katy to Downtown would be several hours.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 PM
Status: "all photos ©2007-2021/jfre81" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: ✶✶✶✶
15,061 posts, read 27,679,620 times
Reputation: 10524
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The Katy Freeway expansion add a huge amount of capacity. Without the expansion, commute times from Katy to Downtown would be several hours.
And they tore up a railroad line that could have been a commuter train in the process, paved over it, and now you still can't seem to make it from the NW loop to the EC in an hour?

People wonder how I lost faith in the Houston region's management of mobility. I told people 10 years ago, that's one expensive Band-Aid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top