Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With all due respect to Highland Park Village, because it is a very prestigious and iconic shopping center, it’s just a notch below River Oaks District in terms of luxury.

For starters, they do have stores that no other place in Texas that has even been considered such as Kiton and Moncler, and the Graph Watches (I didn’t even know Texas had one at all until recently).

Second; the stores in ROD are larger. ROD accommodates flagship locations. The Hermès and Cartier and ROD are almost twice as large as the ones in HPV. And third, while HPV’s architecture is unique, it’s not the style they generally accommodates brands to set up their own architecture image (like ROD, 5th Ave, Magnificent Mile obtain).

This isn’t downing, HOV, it’s speaking on the exclusivity of ROD.

So just build a shopping center over night and its better than the first shopping center ever created in america.......ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

So just build a shopping center over night and its better than the first shopping center ever created in america.......ok
Except I never said it was better. I said it’s a notch above from which is more luxurious being the criteria. I don’t like either and if I visited one, I would prefer HPV since I’m atleast a fan on traditional Spanish architecture. while River Oaks District offers nothing of my interest. I don’t care for any of those brands. If you ask me, H-E-B is better than both.

But this isn’t about which I prefer, this is about which is superior luxury speaking. As highly ranked as HPV is, its still below ROD. HPV doesn't accomdate flagships the way ROD does. The stores are twice, sometimes 3 times as big as the HPV counterpart and offer wider array of items.

[Mod edit: images are courtesy of Wikipedia]

Dior HPV

vs flagship Dior in ROD

Hermes HPV

vs flagship Hermes in ROD

Harry Winston at HPV

vs Flagship Harry Winston at ROD

We can look at the Cartiers and others as well. I'm not a fan of either, the only preference between the two to me is the old Spanish architecture at HPV. But shoppers have a preference to ROD's larger stores with wider selections and architecture that's more representative of its brands.

Last edited by elnina; 07-02-2020 at 06:22 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 AM

La Colombe D'or is one of the most anticipated projects in the country right now, combining a 1920s mansion with a new high rise. One of the many luxury hotels underway, also Hines' first signature luxury hotel development.

I'm interested to see how the high-rises in Montrose will pan out. I grew up spending a lot of time in Caracas, Venezuela and the organizational make up of high rises in Houston remind me of Caracas. How from Downtown to Uptown the high rises are connecting will be something to watch.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hines-image...ified_hres.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 07-02-2020 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted

Old 07-02-2020, 06:16 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,982 times
Quote:
La Colombe D'or is one of the most anticipated projects in the country right now, combining a 1920s mansion with a new high rise. One of the many luxury hotels underway, also Hines' first signature luxury hotel development.

I'm interested to see how the high-rises in Montrose will pan out. I grew up spending a lot of time in Caracas, Venezuela and the organizational make up of high rises in Houston remind me of Caracas. How from Downtown to Uptown the high rises are connecting will be something to watch.
Nice. It's going to be a sight to see upon completion.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:04 AM

Houston’s Four Seasons hotel just announced it broke ground on a renovation project slated to be complete by 2021. I think it LocalPlanner, though I’m not sure, mentioned something like “If Four Seasons is doing well, they would’ve improved it by now”. And here’s their response.

The renovation likely comes due to the luxury hotel book the city has and is continuing to go through since the last few years. The St. Regis also recently renovated its rooms. So as usual, competition shows it benefits the consumer.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Houston’s Four Seasons hotel just announced it broke ground on a renovation project slated to be complete by 2021. I think it LocalPlanner, though I’m not sure, mentioned something like “If Four Seasons is doing well, they would’ve improved it by now”. And here’s their response.

The renovation likely comes due to the luxury hotel book the city has and is continuing to go through since the last few years. The St. Regis also recently renovated its rooms. So as usual, competition shows it benefits the consumer.
It's not that they weren't doing well. It's that they didn't see being able to have the renovation investment pay off financially (getting higher rates and occupancy, especially on weekends). They may have felt they were doing just fine as they were, but additional investment wasn't attractive because there wouldn't be a payoff.

The newly announced renovation (which I'm certainly glad about) may be as much as about defensively reacting to the new Downtown competition as it is to trying to grab a new piece of opportunity that didn't previously exist.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It's not that they weren't doing well. It's that they didn't see being able to have the renovation investment pay off financially (getting higher rates and occupancy, especially on weekends). They may have felt they were doing just fine as they were, but additional investment wasn't attractive because there wouldn't be a payoff.

The newly announced renovation (which I'm certainly glad about) may be as much as about defensively reacting to the new Downtown competition as it is to trying to grab a new piece of opportunity that didn't previously exist.
It’s still the only 5 star hotel in Downtown even once the W gets built. But with “almost as good” options springing up all over downtown and midtown, it definitely signaled renovation time.

Before the Post Oak opened in 2018, the only other still remaining 5 star hotels in Houston were the St. Regis and Hotel Granduca. After the opening of the Post Oak, Houston now has the most 5 star hotels of any Texas metro (DFW has 3, Austin has 0 ). And the Rosewood (2024) and Equinox (2022) are underway which would bring the total to 6.

Definitely a competition move. St. Regis also recently renovated their property.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM

Texas' first Margaritaville Resort opened in Lake Conroe at the old La Toretta building. Bringing the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville vibes to the Houston area and Texas for the first time. Also exciting so we can try their famed restaurants.

More luxury hotel brands to look forward to under construction: Rosewood, Equinox, Kimpton, Thompson, W Hotel, Hotel RL, as well as La Colombe D'or. The Montrose Hotel's micro property also brings in a new form of micro-luxury. Previously, La Colombe D'or was that micro-hotel, but now that they're expanding, the Montrose Hotel will take over the role. The recently opened Inn at Dos Brisas brings a suburban 5 star hotel to the scene.

2018 and 2019 were already very big years for hospitality in the city. Houston was already a world class city but wasn't quite a world class hotel city but quickly formed into one. Interesting to see what the results of COVID bring to Houston (and the USA in general) for hospitality.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Old but still accurate.

https://youtu.be/jcV2k7HULb4

Old 08-19-2020, 09:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:

I think that honor belongs to Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, MO. It predates Highland Park Village by almost a decade!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club_Plaza

Quote:
Opened in 1923, it was the first planned suburban shopping center and the first regional shopping center to accommodate shoppers arriving by car.

Planned in 1922 by J. C. Nichols and designed in Moorish Revival style echoing the architecture of Seville, Spain, the Plaza comprises high-end retail establishments, restaurants, and entertainment venues, as well as offices.
Quote:
Old but still accurate.

https://youtu.be/jcV2k7HULb4
Too bad Needless Markup won't be around much longer! The global COVID recession won't be kind to the discretionary consumption industry in DFW's economy. Many lost corporate/HQ jobs at Pier 1, Neiman's, JCP, et al. are coming soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston