Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM

201 posts, read 656,101 times

Advertisements

Specifically, I am a 22 year old college student (premed) from denver and I need a recommendation of a nice, quiet, relatively crime free neighborhood in Houston that is near the University of Houston as well as within an hour's drive of the airport. I would need something relatively inexpensive, but would like a nice neighborhood as well. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 PM

293 posts, read 909,763 times
Your question is a bit vague. I know the UH area and doubt it has what you are looking for, but I don't know enough to say for sure. Luckily, if you have a car and avoid rush hour, UH is less than ten minutes from downtown. I think there are several areas near downtown that you would probably be satisfied with.

Are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse, or a house?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
I was going to recommend Midtown but then you wanted a "quiet" place which is a bit strange for a 22 year old college student but there is an answer. Live right on UH campus which was dead quiet at night except maybe at the Rec Center and on weekends (we are trying to change and there might be some slight improvements since then).

Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 AM

I apologize, I guess I should clarify a bit more. I'm not antisocial- I love going out and having fun, but I'm also very studious. My boyfriend and I are looking to move in together and we would have a car. He has to travel for work, so he needs to be within an hour's drive of the airport (that drive is done twice a week). I'm just not the get-drunk-and-party nonstop kind of person...although, once in a while is fine I would like to be within a half hour of UH, if possible. We're looking for a place that won't put us in social siberia but will allow for studying as well...and somewhere safe. We are looking at renting an apartment, condo, or townhome.

Thank you for your responses.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Houston ain't NYC. It's not a nonstop, party 24/7 type of city. You can find quiet in the middle of the noisiest neighborhood. It will mostly depend on your neighbors. I'd recommend the Museum District. It's quiet and close to UH. But then, which airport are we talking about here?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:45 PM

293 posts, read 909,763 times
I too would reccomend the Museum district. It is a pretty area, and just a few minutes from campus. The Midtown area seems like a good choice too. You can get to Hobby or Bush airport in less than an hour from either of those neighborhoods unless you get tied up in bad traffic.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was wondering if someone could also tell me about the NE side of houston? Is the commute from Kingwood to UH very time consuming? What about Champion? And where exactly is "Sienna"? What is the community like in these areas? My bf and I like to go out, but are content to stay in the neighborhood most of the time...and I'm not so much a "downtown" kind of gal Thank you for taking some time out to reply to this

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Kingwood to UH isn't too bad of a drive and Kingwood has a lot of nice apartment complexes. You would want to get somethign near to 59 to keep your commute short.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Kingwood to UH isn't too bad of a drive and Kingwood has a lot of nice apartment complexes. You would want to get somethign near to 59 to keep your commute short.
Do you perhaps have an estimate of time chris_ut? I know from Kingwood to Bush airport isn't too bad...and we were looking near the highway...?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 AM

153 posts, read 305,962 times
I live in Cypresswood, which is about 35 minutes or so from UH... with no traffic. It's a good 25 miles or so from where I live, and I'm just a few miles from 45.

I'd recommend midtown or the museum district or montrose, myself. Or possibly the Heights. They're good central locations, pretty easy access to UH, and an hour from both airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: