Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 PM

20 posts, read 115,374 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone compare the both. I know they are different, maybe someone can give me some pointers. I am currently living in Portland, Oregon. The weather gets tiresome after 10 months of constant overcast, and rain. Economy here is rough, housing prices are a little outrageous. I am originally from the Bay Area, CA. Prices are to ridiculous to ever go back!!! Soooooo I am looking for a new home.

I have spent days investigating, reading threads. Something about South Carolina (Columbia) appeals to me as well as Houston. I need a bigger city, Affordable housing, and just an awesome place to be my forever home. Hopefully after selling my home, here in Portland I will walk away with $85,000. I want to pay cash for a decent size home, in a decent neighborhood, with good schools, I am a single mother, so safer would be nice, currently I live in Meth ville with prositutes being dropped off in front of my home. would like a place where kids can play outside. I still want a hip happening city.

I am caucasion, however would like kids growing up with an apprieciation of other cultures. I have seen pictures of both South Carolina and Houstin. Being close to a beach is appealing to me. Maybe not to close, hurricanes would not be my cup of tea. Sounds like South Carolina is to good to be true. Houston looks pretty good to me as well. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
I have been to Columbia on business and I do not remember it being what I would describe as a "bigger city." This of course, coming from a Houstonian.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Well..... Did you like it? Do you like living in Houston?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Well, I've never been to Tx. YET so I can't compare the "feeling" of the two states. Just wanted to share a couple of things that I've learned though.

Texas has no state income tax and SC does.

Texas has no personal property tax and SC has one. I was just reading the other day where a gent pays 400 a year personal property tax on his 20,000 car. The value went down (which is normal), but his taxes remained the same since he moved to a different county.

The economy is better in Texas because SC is going through a rough time right now. Their unemployment is getting out of hand in some areas.

On the positive side, SC does have nice beaches. The people were friendly to us when we were there, but I really think you'd find the same thing in Texas.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 AM

619 posts, read 2,167,939 times
was stationed in ft. jackson SC by columbia SC... columbia is a dump, dont go there....houston is day and night better!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,348 times
Well, I have not been to that part of SC but I can say a few things about Houston that others may not be so quick to tell you. Plenty of shopping in Houston. Galleria is nice for shopping. However, there are not nearly enough trees and the air is so bad you can expect to develop allergies whether you have had them in your lifetime or not. The air is horrible. Try going into a high rise building in Houston and look down at a few of the buildings that are less than 15 years old and check out the pollution covering them. For your health and children's health if you have children, I would not recommend Houston. I made a big mistake coming here and I have a child. I feel like I've written his death sentence bringing him to Houston. I am afraid he will have cancer or some horrible respiratory disease soon. I am ready to move. Read about the air quality here. This place will make you sick no matter which part you move to.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I love the proximity to the coast, mountains and lakes in SC. Having 4 real seasons doesn't suck either.

Other than that, I would go for Houston

Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,979 times
I've never had an allergy and I've lived here most of my life. There's no mountains to trap the air so there's no smog.

As far as housing, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck in Houston.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Yes bang for the buck. I have been looking on Truila.com there are some amazing deals on homes. I can't even believe it. 1600 square foot homes for under 100k!! I guess that would be my main draw to come to Houston, However The Bay Area was a little overwhelming 6 million people or more in that area. Portland is a little to sleepy. Any advice on cities outside of Houston (that are cheap), and nice? Just don't really want that overwhelming feeling.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,426 times
No trees?

Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston