Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The defendants kept in jail prior to the bail reforms were almost all Black and Hispanic. It's not my solution, it's the one suggested by the Federal courts and various experts. I haven't made any suggestions. I would be OK with increasing bail amounts for violent criminals, and requiring the bail bondsmen to deposit 10% of the bail amount into the County escrow fund. That would stop the current trend of bail bonds costing 1% instead of the traditional 10%. The DA's office could ask for higher bail - $100k seems low for a premeditated murder or capital murder charge when other jurisdictions are setting bail for those crimes at $500k to $1 million. Several of the cases I've looked at, the offenders were out on multiple bail bonds totaling $150k or more.
Racializing this issue doesn't matter. If it's poor Black and Hispanic members of society committing the most crime, then it's those individuals fault for committing a crime.

I'll tell you an area of Houston that doesn't have an issue with violent crime in the black community. Fort Bend County which is more black, than Harris County. That's because the county officials don't worry about race when deciding who to give bond. They enforce the law. Disparate impact is important. But we are talking about criminals who are largely guilty of the crimes they commit. Maybe it's because I come from a country with high violent crime. But some people in society's goal in life is to rot in prison, and we should fast track that part of the population away from the actual contributing members of the community.

I feel like the black community would thrive, if their wasn't all this confusing talk about millions of black dads in prison. Sure some of them were just drug dealers, but a lot of them were negative impacts on society and should never have been allowed out in the first place.

Fort Bend is also 25% Latino also doesn't have a problem with high Latino violence either. Expanding our borders, the poverty rich regions of RGV and El Paso combined have 1.9 million Hispanic people, compared to Metro Houston's 2.3 million Hispanic residents, who are wealthier.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...exas/INC110219

70-80 Homicides (This is with a nearly 100% increase in these areas from 2019), so 40 is much more the norm across these two regions.

This is compared to the Houston Area at 200+ Hispanic people killed this year. Maybe even 300+.

It's not about poverty, it's not about race it's about getting the bastards who use poverty as an excuse to terrorize other often disenfranchised people in the Houston area of the streets.

To make this political. I care more because I'm a liberal. I care about our cities, crime is literally going to hurt our cities as bad as an economic downturn. Once an area is labelled unsafe and people leave, the economic impact of those with means living is far more detrimental to the city. The democratic party needs to push the same ideas/ideals but don't bend to the activists who do not know the effects of government policy.

On top of that bail is a class issue. It's not an issue at the intersection, of race and class. I'm a firm believer that the entire concept of bail is classist and probably the worst use of capitalism imaginable. Bail lowkey implies that since wealthy people are able to get out of jail more easily their thus more moral solely due to their money. It also encourages arrests and overcharging solely on the principle that higher charges and more arrests bring more money into the system. Doesn't mean that's why police officers arrest people but it certainly implies it.

That doesn't mean I don't understand why it exists. My view on it is after multiple charges, you should revoke your right to bail. No way someone should be roaming our streets with 10+ convictions, no matter how petty. At that point you've decided to be a non-contributing member of society, and a "3 strike law" just makes sense.

Also for those of y'all who will say 3 strike laws don't work. They were first implemented in the U.S in 1994. Look at the crime rate since then. Jail has always worked as a way to lower crime, and imprisoning more people who don't value others lives and properties has always been a viable solution. It's just with this guise of race, common sense get's thrown out the window.

Murderers shouldn't get bail under any circumstances. That's a crime that can't be measured by a number. That's my view on the entire issue. Obviously measuring flight risk, and a whole host of laws stand in the way of that (cruel and unusual punishment). But I also think the jail to trial setup should be way faster. Court delays shouldn't be happening at this rate. The judicial process is hard, but their should be more judges outright, their always competing to win their seats in the first place, so clearly theirs's more candidates out there.

TL;Dr; Criminal Justice Reform in this specific way focused on race is misguided at plays into conservatives hands. Bail is inherently bad, and should be used far more sparingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 11:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
And replaced with who? Racist, misogynistic Republicans beholden to businesses that are trying to screw every last dime out of consumers? And want to lock up anyone who remotely looks like a criminal for decades? What next, stop and frisk? The Democrats aren't great, but the Republicans suck completely these days. Theistic jerks who think they are better than everyone else because of their special relationship with a mythical sky daddy.
Republicans suck. But their judges are way better. 99.9% of Houstonians would rather be racially abused than shot...

If other liberals don't' realize this, they'll eventually lose elections even in "liberal" strongholds. Even with things like Police Abuse. Far more black Americans are affected by rampant crime than Police Abuse. Criminals kill 5,000 black people every year and steal millions from black people not to mention the trauma of being robbed at gunpoint and PTSD of not only being a victim but being in a gang. Police kill maybe 20 non-armed black people at best. Police reform is important, but if you pretend that racism takes precedence over personal safety. You'll either have people vote for Democrats like Eric Adams (who's corrupt in his own ways) or Republicans, or these people will vote with their feet and kill our great city.

A simple thing- Open air commerce of the past functioned because people would trust others not to steal their wares that were laid out for customers. If this trust was not established the market could not function. People think this old dichotomy doesn't have an effect today, but you can see it, in things like, bulletproof glass, cages and other things in high crime neighborhoods. If the cost to enter the market comes with all this excess security measures taken that alone adds on to the existing poorer economic base and pushes out anything of quality.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
And replaced with who? Racist, misogynistic Republicans beholden to businesses that are trying to screw every last dime out of consumers? And want to lock up anyone who remotely looks like a criminal for decades? What next, stop and frisk? The Democrats aren't great, but the Republicans suck completely these days. Theistic jerks who think they are better than everyone else because of their special relationship with a mythical sky daddy.
Geez, at the very least folks should have enough common sense to vote out the worthless clowns in your party's primaries. This goes for both sides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Racializing this issue doesn't matter. If it's poor Black and Hispanic members of society committing the most crime, then it's those individuals fault for committing a crime.

I'll tell you an area of Houston that doesn't have an issue with violent crime in the black community. Fort Bend County which is more black, than Harris County. That's because the county officials don't worry about race when deciding who to give bond. They enforce the law. Disparate impact is important. But we are talking about criminals who are largely guilty of the crimes they commit. Maybe it's because I come from a country with high violent crime. But some people in society's goal in life is to rot in prison, and we should fast track that part of the population away from the actual contributing members of the community.

I feel like the black community would thrive, if their wasn't all this confusing talk about millions of black dads in prison. Sure some of them were just drug dealers, but a lot of them were negative impacts on society and should never have been allowed out in the first place.

Fort Bend is also 25% Latino also doesn't have a problem with high Latino violence either. Expanding our borders, the poverty rich regions of RGV and El Paso combined have 1.9 million Hispanic people, compared to Metro Houston's 2.3 million Hispanic residents, who are wealthier.

70-80 Homicides (This is with a nearly 100% increase in these areas from 2019), so 40 is much more the norm across these two regions.

This is compared to the Houston Area at 200+ Hispanic people killed this year. Maybe even 300+.

It's not about poverty, it's not about race it's about getting the bastards who use poverty as an excuse to terrorize other often disenfranchised people in the Houston area of the streets.

To make this political. I care more because I'm a liberal. I care about our cities, crime is literally going to hurt our cities as bad as an economic downturn. Once an area is labelled unsafe and people leave, the economic impact of those with means living is far more detrimental to the city. The democratic party needs to push the same ideas/ideals but don't bend to the activists who do not know the effects of government policy.

On top of that bail is a class issue. It's not an issue at the intersection, of race and class. I'm a firm believer that the entire concept of bail is classist and probably the worst use of capitalism imaginable. Bail lowkey implies that since wealthy people are able to get out of jail more easily their thus more moral solely due to their money. It also encourages arrests and overcharging solely on the principle that higher charges and more arrests bring more money into the system. Doesn't mean that's why police officers arrest people but it certainly implies it.

That doesn't mean I don't understand why it exists. My view on it is after multiple charges, you should revoke your right to bail. No way someone should be roaming our streets with 10+ convictions, no matter how petty. At that point you've decided to be a non-contributing member of society, and a "3 strike law" just makes sense.

Also for those of y'all who will say 3 strike laws don't work. They were first implemented in the U.S in 1994. Look at the crime rate since then. Jail has always worked as a way to lower crime, and imprisoning more people who don't value others lives and properties has always been a viable solution. It's just with this guise of race, common sense get's thrown out the window.

Murderers shouldn't get bail under any circumstances. That's a crime that can't be measured by a number. That's my view on the entire issue. Obviously measuring flight risk, and a whole host of laws stand in the way of that (cruel and unusual punishment). But I also think the jail to trial setup should be way faster. Court delays shouldn't be happening at this rate. The judicial process is hard, but their should be more judges outright, their always competing to win their seats in the first place, so clearly theirs's more candidates out there.

TL;Dr; Criminal Justice Reform in this specific way focused on race is misguided at plays into conservatives hands. Bail is inherently bad, and should be used far more sparingly.
Very well stated

Quote:
Republicans suck. But their judges are way better. 99.9% of Houstonians would rather be racially abused than shot...

If other liberals don't' realize this, they'll eventually lose elections even in "liberal" strongholds. Even with things like Police Abuse. Far more black Americans are affected by rampant crime than Police Abuse. Criminals kill 5,000 black people every year and steal millions from black people not to mention the trauma of being robbed at gunpoint and PTSD of not only being a victim but being in a gang. Police kill maybe 20 non-armed black people at best. Police reform is important, but if you pretend that racism takes precedence over personal safety. You'll either have people vote for Democrats like Eric Adams (who's corrupt in his own ways) or Republicans, or these people will vote with their feet and kill our great city.

A simple thing- Open air commerce of the past functioned because people would trust others not to steal their wares that were laid out for customers. If this trust was not established the market could not function. People think this old dichotomy doesn't have an effect today, but you can see it, in things like, bulletproof glass, cages and other things in high crime neighborhoods. If the cost to enter the market comes with all this excess security measures taken that alone adds on to the existing poorer economic base and pushes out anything of quality.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0rXvLfgG0

The guy is nuts, but he hit on a lot of points regarding the crime issue.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,112 times
This is what I've been talking about for quite a while. First of all, it's hitting mostly the residents of low income areas. But they keep upvoting the politicians that are causing this. So I guess that's what they want...

Old 02-03-2022, 07:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,238,157 times
Quote:

Now, THIS, I completely agree with. As a political moderate (yes, we still exist), its good to see practical common sense.

Both the modern Republican and Democrat parties have embraced their relative "activism" and extremism. We need to respect each other, and help each other. Im so sick of all the hate on both sides - its disturbing.

Criminals that are a danger to society should be behind bars. Now, when they're behind bars, I'm all for them getting rehab/psych treatment, as well as "working" to learn skills that could be applied later post prison. They need to be set up for success to reduce recidivism, but while they are dangers to society, they should be behind bars.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 PM

Absolutely heartbreaking SMH

https://abc13.com/11-year-old-killed...well/11538338/

Old 02-05-2022, 01:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,346 times
How about this winner
https://abc13.com/houston-crime-murd...vera/11539043/

Old 02-05-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Out on bond with a capital murder charge lol, gotta luv it. If I’m living the life of crime, Harris county is the place where I’d want to be.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:02 PM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Out on bond with a capital murder charge lol, gotta luv it. If I’m living the life of crime, Harris county is the place where I’d want to be.
There has to be something we aren't seeing. Dude was charged with capital murder for killing someone during a robbery when he was 16. He was charged as an adult, but wasn't charged until 8 months after the alleged crime. He was then held for 2 1/2 years before given bond.

The judge isn't going to say why bond was granted, so we may never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston