Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 02:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times

Advertisements

I need some life advice, and where better to get it from than a forum of strangers on the internet???

My family and I moved to Houston about 11 years ago for work at one of the big oil companies. I’ve enjoyed my career, and for the most part have enjoyed Houston, but am starting to wonder if it’s time to head somewhere else while the decision is still in my hands.

For those of you who are not from the are, what keeps you here? Do you plan on retiring in Houston, or is it mostly just the job? I’m lucky enough that the skills I’ve developed are transferable to just about any industry, and I’m pretty sure I could find a comparable job in most mid to large sized cities paying anywhere from 80% to 120% of my current salary.

I’m thinking a place with four seasons, mountains, outdoor lifestyles…. Maybe like a Knoxville / Greenville / Charlotte type city. I’m torn though, because we don’t hate it here and I don’t hate my job…. We just don’t love it. So, I ask again — what’s keeping you here (for those not raised here)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 04:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
We have been in Houston for 17 years. Came here for my husband’s oil job right out of grad school. We have 3 kids- 2 in high school (one will be a senior in the fall) and a middle schooler. The company just went through major layoffs but my husband kept his job. Provided he keeps his job for the foreseeable future though, we plan to stay here to get the kids through school and until he retires. My older kids don’t plan on staying in Texas for college (we are in New England right now looking at colleges for my oldest). We are originally from the east and can see ourselves moving to some small town back east. We don’t plan to stay in Texas forever though.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:43 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I need some life advice, and where better to get it from than a forum of strangers on the internet???

My family and I moved to Houston about 11 years ago for work at one of the big oil companies. I’ve enjoyed my career, and for the most part have enjoyed Houston, but am starting to wonder if it’s time to head somewhere else while the decision is still in my hands.

For those of you who are not from the are, what keeps you here? Do you plan on retiring in Houston, or is it mostly just the job? I’m lucky enough that the skills I’ve developed are transferable to just about any industry, and I’m pretty sure I could find a comparable job in most mid to large sized cities paying anywhere from 80% to 120% of my current salary.

I’m thinking a place with four seasons, mountains, outdoor lifestyles…. Maybe like a Knoxville / Greenville / Charlotte type city. I’m torn though, because we don’t hate it here and I don’t hate my job…. We just don’t love it. So, I ask again — what’s keeping you here (for those not raised here)?
I’ve lived all other the US (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, NY, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Boston, Baltimore and Milwaukee) and most recently in the Northeast. I have no desire to live in a city with 4 seasons. Cold weather is over-rated. No city is perfect. You have to figure out what’s most important to you. I love that Houston is warm 95% of the time. I love the diversity, food, entertainment, robust job market to name a few. I can find 95% of what I need in Houston. If I want to go to the beach or mountains, I can hop on a flight.

My advice is do what makes you happy. If you heart tells you to leave Houston, go… I have a few friends who left and either moved back or are in the process of moving back. They had to move away to really appreciate Houston.

Last edited by kwr; 07-11-2021 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 05:14 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
We are retired since 1992.

We have no need to be in Houston for work or family. But lately I have been considering the cost of living here.

My kids in Manhattan, Dallas and Florida whose houses are worth more than mine, pay thousands less in insurance and taxes. And we have over 65 exemptions.

And their regulated electricity rates are comparable to ours from Energy Ogre sources and more reliable. But due to our proximity to a hospital our lights never blinked in the freeze. But my Dallas kid had to move to a hotel for 4 days, cats and all. And friends froze in the dark with no water, afraid to leave home because who knew what would happen next. One is on dialysis, with a gasoline generator. He now has a $12,000 one. He hopes the natural gas is OK.

The traffic, crime and road rage are changing our minds about living here. We generally vote conservative, especially in local elections. But the state guys are a little too far right for us these days. We see no change in the future.

The question is where to go.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:47 PM

9,892 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:

Reading your last paragraph, yes you would do good somewhere else. Houston has great amenities but if you enjoy hilly outdoors, that’s not Houston’s gift. Perhaps Colorado Springs or somewhere similar. If you do decide to stay in Houston but want to change industries, that’s good too. But if you’re particularly looking for hills and outdoors, you can go elsewhere.

Now, I’ll answer your what keeps me here question. So while I did spent a lot of my childhood here, I spent a lot in Louisiana and Florida as well. I was gone after my college years. I graduated college pretty recently. My choice ultimately boiled down to Houston or Miami. The reason I chose to move to Houston was partly due to work and partly due to enjoying amenities that Houston has to offer. Particularly diversity, food, nightlife, shopping, parks, etc. I buy and sell a lot of name brand items, so having access to that here is important for this gig I do. Miami would’ve easily been my second choice because they offer a lot of this too, but I legit had more job opportunities here as well as a better COL start and more ethnic diversity. Even though Miami has the Caribbean connection to me, the diversity in Houston gives me more experiences in this regard. For example Asian culture found in Houston was also a major attraction to me. Recently, I discovered there’s a mini Filipinotown near the Texas Medical center. You wouldn’t find anything like that in Miami. Just an example of ethnic experiences in Houston you see here.

I actually also had the chance to move to Orange County, but economic opportunities here are just too much better right now than anything in LA.

Clearly, I don’t care for four seasons. But if you do, this would be a good reason to leave. I hate cold weather and outside of one event last year, it’s usually not a bother for me. You also won’t get hills. So again, this is your choice.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:36 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Thanks for the comments. When people talk about the pros of Houston they almost always gravitate towards cost of living and job opportunities. Those were the drivers for me moving here and the experience I gained early in my career is invaluable. Now that I’ve established myself and money is no longer a concern though, I guess I’m just trying to see if the “grass is greener”.

I thought “If my company offered me a chance to work from anywhere in the country for $30k less, would I do it”? And I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d take that offer in a heartbeat… so even if I can’t quite replicate my full salary it seems my head has already made the decision.

I have no interest in a “true winter”, but have been looking hard at East Tennessee / Western Carolinas right at the base of the smokies. Strong enough economies, great list of living, close to major universities, 4 mild seasons.

It’s helpful to see why others stay though… evaluating this decision has been emotionally exhausting as I’ve always assumed I would retire with this company and in this house we built. We still may — we need to find a good offer and check out schools, etc. I’ve got 3 kids and the oldest starts 8th grade this year. We’ve decided if we can’t make the move before she starts high school we’ll likely stay out.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:49 PM

9,892 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. When people talk about the pros of Houston they almost always gravitate towards cost of living and job opportunities. Those were the drivers for me moving here and the experience I gained early in my career is invaluable. Now that I’ve established myself and money is no longer a concern though, I guess I’m just trying to see if the “grass is greener”.

I thought “If my company offered me a chance to work from anywhere in the country for $30k less, would I do it”? And I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d take that offer in a heartbeat… so even if I can’t quite replicate my full salary it seems my head has already made the decision.

I have no interest in a “true winter”, but have been looking hard at East Tennessee / Western Carolinas right at the base of the smokies. Strong enough economies, great list of living, close to major universities, 4 mild seasons.

It’s helpful to see why others stay though… evaluating this decision has been emotionally exhausting as I’ve always assumed I would retire with this company and in this house we built. We still may — we need to find a good offer and check out schools, etc. I’ve got 3 kids and the oldest starts 8th grade this year. We’ve decided if we can’t make the move before she starts high school we’ll likely stay out.
I'd add diversity into this mix. Houston's cultural offerings make me love it here.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:02 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
I will offer you our perspective as both a Houston native (myself) and non-native (my husband, who hails from the PNW). We moved to Houston (in my case returned) 17 years ago with DH fresh out of law school, at which time he limited his job search to positions in either Seattle or Houston to be near our respective families. Obviously Houston won (or more precisely, the Houston job won) and that move has worked out exceedingly well for DH's career.

Almost immediately after moving to Houston, I began to regret having sold our home in the PNW. I can't say I was unhappy in Houston exactly, more that I felt trapped and needed an escape valve. All my childhood dislikes about Houston came rushing back and reminded me why I had escaped, er, moved away for college and beyond. (Among these, as a child growing up in Houston I desperately longed for seasons.) About nine years ago we bought a second home in Seattle where the kids and I spent summers and their frequent breaks during the school year. DH for the most part was and is mostly content in Houston, but his contentment derives mostly from his work.

When our older kid was starting high school, we made the decision to move the kids to Seattle to attend school for one or at most two years, since DH was staying in Houston. The kids were not happy to leave their friends and school but we wanted them to experience a different city/school/environment before leaving for college. Well here we are, the kids and I still in Seattle four years later, after the kids themselves quickly decided not to return to Houston. (swopoe, our older kid is moving to New England for college in six precious weeks, sniff!) DH is still working primarily in Houston but is now exploring some professional options worldwide, with one child leaving the nest and another in two years. Whereas until recently DH couldn't imagine letting go our Houston home, he is now open to it.

My advice is, if you're already thinking about leaving, and you are in a position to do so that is more or less neutral professionally, then you should take concrete steps toward making it happen. Don't put it off wondering what if. Houston is a practical city for people to live practical lives, but it lacks so much that provides joy and variety in life. Plus, as crone mentions above, for that trade-off Houston is not nearly the bargain people give it credit for.

(Also, practically every city in the US is plenty diverse. It's odd that people tout this about Houston. It's just not that remarkable in 2021.)

Last edited by fnh; 07-11-2021 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-11-2021, 08:19 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I will offer you our perspective as both a Houston native (myself) and non-native (my husband, who hails from the PNW). We moved to Houston (in my case returned) 17 years ago with DH fresh out of law school, at which time he limited his job search to positions in either Seattle or Houston to be near our respective families. Obviously Houston won (or more precisely, the Houston job won) and that move has worked out exceedingly well for DH's career.

Almost immediately after moving to Houston, I began to regret having sold our home in the PNW. I can't say I was unhappy in Houston exactly, more that I felt trapped and needed an escape valve. All my childhood dislikes about Houston came rushing back and reminded me why I had escaped, er, moved away for college and beyond. (Among these, as a child growing up in Houston I desperately longed for seasons.) About nine years ago we bought a second home in Seattle where the kids and I spent summers and their frequent breaks during the school year. DH for the most part was and is mostly content in Houston, but his contentment derives mostly from his work.

When our older kid was starting high school, we made the decision to move the kids to Seattle to attend school for one or at most two years, since DH was staying in Houston. The kids were not happy to leave their friends and school but we wanted them to experience a different city/school/environment before leaving for college. Well here we are, the kids and I still in Seattle four years later, after the kids themselves quickly decided not to return to Houston. (swopoe, our older kid is moving to New England for college in six precious weeks, sniff!) DH is still working primarily in Houston but is now exploring some professional options worldwide, with one child leaving the nest and another in two years. Whereas until recently DH couldn't imagine letting go our Houston home, he is now open to it.

My advice is, if you're already thinking about leaving, and you are in a position to do so that is more or less neutral professionally, then you should take concrete steps toward making it happen. Don't put it off wondering what if. Houston is a practical city for people to live practical lives, but it lacks so much that provides joy and variety in life. Plus, as crone mentions above, for that trade-off Houston is not nearly the bargain people give it credit for.

(Nearly every city in the US is plenty diverse. It's odd that people tout this about Houston. It's just not that remarkable in 2021.)
While diversity does exist in many places across the U.S., I personally really do feel as if it's at a more substantial and materially important level in Houston. When I go to other metros, especially in middle America, you really notice it. Houston feels very globally connected in a way most metros don't, especially for the cost of living - to get the urban amenities and global environment you get here, you're probably going to pay a lot more in other U.S. metros. Not to mention that the suburban lifestyle so desired by many is actually available within the city limits - even to a great extent in the urban core (if for a price) - whereas many older U.S. metros, that's just not the case.

For a lot of folks, that kind of zeitgeist isn't important, so Houston's strengths in this regard wouldn't go as far in outweighing our shortcomings, and that's fine. Houston has miserably hot and humid summers, it's flat, incredibly flood-prone, and crime-ridden, and has been my whole life (I'm a native born in the 1960s). I don't take it personally at all if the things I find interesting and invigorating about don't register as much with others. And even I'm not so in love with it that I am committed to remaining here permanently.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:24 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post

(Nearly every city in the US is plenty diverse. It's odd that people tout this about Houston. It's just not that remarkable in 2021.)
The diversity in Houston is remarkable. I’m unsure what bubble you’ve been living in, it is absolutely untrue to say nearly every city is plenty diverse in 2021. The exact opposite is true. Seattle sorely lacks diversity and culture. I’d never live Seattle.

As recent as last year, Seattle was ranked the saddest metro according to the city’s times. Suicide rate is also high in the PNW. :-( Even Amazon has trouble recruiting people to Seattle.

I think you’re missing that Seattle lacks so much that provides joy and variety in life for people like me.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-survey-shows/

Last edited by kwr; 07-11-2021 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston