Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:10 AM

625 posts, read 670,119 times

Advertisements

Woodlands is a great suburb and a good value, but I wouldn't expect appreciation anything like Austin (or frankly like many Dallas areas). My parents have lived in Kingwood for 30 years and there house has appreciated some, but not a huge amount (despite a large lot and in an area that has never flooded).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 08:16 AM

9,922 posts, read 6,634,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Woodlands is a great suburb and a good value, but I wouldn't expect appreciation anything like Austin (or frankly like many Dallas areas). My parents have lived in Kingwood for 30 years and there house has appreciated some, but not a huge amount (despite a large lot and in an area that has never flooded).
King wood isn’t expected to appreciate as the woodlands is though. Different scenario

And even though not all of kingwood floods, people are still turned off by it because it’s known for for it. The woodlands isn’t.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:29 AM

Sometimes you have to look at outside forces too to see why the woodlands is expected to appreciate.

1. The Woodlands only just started attracting high end boutiques. Chanel is set to join Louis Vuitton and others they recently opened
2. The woodlands is attracting more upscale restaurants and steakhouse than ever. I’m excited for the Mastro’s Ocean Club
3. The new Hewlett Packard Enterprise campus is bringing thousands of high paying jobs to close proximity of the woodlands
4. Hughes Landing is also attracting more high paying jobs. They’ve recently secured impressive tenants of their own (SmartDraw, Entergy, etc)

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-02-2021 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 07:40 PM

5,630 posts, read 4,955,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Sometimes you have to look at outside forces too to see why the woodlands is expected to appreciate.

1. The Woodlands only just started attracting high end boutiques. Chanel is set to join Louis Vuitton and others they recently opened
2. The woodlands is attracting more upscale restaurants and steakhouse than ever. I’m excited for the Mastro’s Ocean Club
3. The new Hewlett Packard Enterprise campus is bringing thousands of high paying jobs to close proximity of the woodlands
4. Hughes Landing is also attracting more high paying jobs. They’ve recently secured impressive tenants of their own (SmartDraw, Entergy, etc)
The nearby presence of high-paying jobs, combined with high-reputation schools, are the main reasons that The Woodlands might be likely to experience appreciation rates above the average for the Houston area (but again, probably below that of desirable areas of Austin). I don't honestly think high-end boutiques and restaurants will have that much impact, though you see to assign lots of weight to things that are expensive and trendy.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The nearby presence of high-paying jobs, combined with high-reputation schools, are the main reasons that The Woodlands might be likely to experience appreciation rates above the average for the Houston area (but again, probably below that of desirable areas of Austin). I don't honestly think high-end boutiques and restaurants will have that much impact, though you see to assign lots of weight to things that are expensive and trendy.
So why is River Oaks and The Woodlands much more expensive than the Energy Corridor and surrounding neighborhoods despite EC having much more high paying in its radius? Access to high paying jobs is definitely a big part of it I don’t deny this (that’s why I mentioned it), but what puts it over the top is the things they make it desirable and set it apart from other business districts. Which in this case is the luxury stores, perfected wooded landscape, and affluent community in general. I’m not going to say “you can find high paying jobs anywhere” because this wouldn’t be true, but there’s a good amount of business districts that have this as it is. theres a reason Pearland and EC/CintyCentre/Memorial doesn’t have the Woodlands prices despite having as much or more than Woodlands/Northern Spring.

I agree that the high paying are raising the price. And they are essential in building an affluent community. But once you have them, this alone doesn’t give it the Affluent status which is what really raises the price. On the other hand, this snow ball effect of luxury stores coming in do set it apart.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-02-2021 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-02-2021, 11:24 PM

5,630 posts, read 4,955,060 times
Quote:
So why is River Oaks and The Woodlands much more expensive than the Energy Corridor and surrounding neighborhoods despite EC having much more high paying in its radius? Access to high paying jobs is definitely a big part of it I don’t deny this (that’s why I mentioned it), but what puts it over the top is the things they make it desirable and set it apart from other business districts. Which in this case is the luxury stores, perfected wooded landscape, and affluent community in general. I’m not going to say “you can find high paying jobs anywhere” because this wouldn’t be true, but there’s a good amount of business districts that have this as it is. theres a reason Pearland and EC/CintyCentre/Memorial doesn’t have the Woodlands prices despite having as much or more than Woodlands/Northern Spring.

I agree that the high paying are raising the price. And they are essential in building an affluent community. But once you have them, this alone doesn’t give it the Affluent status which is what really raises the price. On the other hand, this snow ball effect of luxury stores coming in do set it apart.
Actually during the 2011-2014 boom the EC became much more expensive specifically because a whole lot of high paying jobs were added to the area - the effect was very direct and visible (I live there). Especially in subdivisions zoned to desirable schools. The job growth mostly stopped after that, so values plateaued.

River Oaks actually has a large number of high paying jobs in quite close proximity - Greenway / Upper Kirby is right there, Uptown is barely farther and Downtown is a direct shot via Allen Parkway.

The Memorial Villages were pretty expensive for a long time because of accessibility to high paying jobs in Uptown, plus Greenway / UK and Downtown to some extent, combined with desirable schools. Yet they had no luxury shopping or dining to speak of for decades - the closest was Uptown.

The Heights became expensive long before truly luxury / trendy "name" establishments started moving into the area - because of its accessibility to high paying jobs in Uptown and Downtown (and many commute to farther away places too). Now, it has long had desirable independent retail / dining, but you wouldn't have characterized it as "luxury."

Can luxury / int'l trendy high-end brands probably add fuel to the fire? I think yes. But the accessibility to jobs, which yes you did note, and desirable schools I think are much larger factors.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:20 AM

Well, yes. In order to be an affluent neighborhood, you have to be a desired location. In order to be a desire location, you have to have proximity to high paying jobs, good schools, relatively low crime and decent homes. This alone gives Katy, Pearland, Conroe, the Heights as well as the Woodlands a spot in the conversation.

But again, what separates the Katy tier from the Woodlands tier? Katy has much more high paying jobs in its radius of proximity than the woodlands and it’s schools are desirable. So why isn’t Katy near the Woodlands in prices? I’m sure we both agree that the Woodlands is more desirable than Katy. But it’s definitely not lack of good schools and or access to high paying jobs. Katy didn’t perfect it’s landscaping and terrain as the woodlands did this certainly is part of it. You know who Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Tiffany’s and a large portion of Nordstrom’s clients are? They’re the the ultra rich. If you’re pulling things that rich people like that they can only get in exclusive locations, it will increase demand from the wealthy and it will appreciate accordingly. Where else besides River Oaks/Post Oak can do you have access to this?

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-03-2021 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2021, 09:48 AM

186 posts, read 189,184 times
Quote:

I think you are missing one important factor which is supply and demand. River Oaks and West U are expensive due to the fact that there is limited land that can be developed in the area. If you drive around the energy corridor, there is still land/lots that are relatively unused that could be developed then you go to the woodlands and there is even more open land. (all relative of course)

I believe this is a major factor in driving up the appreciation of a home.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:51 AM

186 posts, read 189,184 times
Quote:
Well, yes. In order to be an affluent neighborhood, you have to be a desired location. In order to be a desire location, you have to have proximity to high paying jobs, good schools, relatively low crime and decent homes. This alone gives Katy, Pearland, Conroe, the Heights as well as the Woodlands a spot in the conversation.

But again, what separates the Katy tier from the Woodlands tier? Katy has much more high paying jobs in its radius of proximity than the woodlands and it’s schools are desirable. So why isn’t Katy near the Woodlands in prices? I’m sure we both agree that the Woodlands is more desirable than Katy. But it’s definitely not lack of good schools and or access to high paying jobs. Katy didn’t perfect it’s landscaping and terrain as the woodlands did this certainly is part of it. You know who Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Tiffany’s and a large portion of Nordstrom’s clients are? They’re the the ultra rich. If you’re pulling things that rich people like that they can only get in exclusive locations, it will increase demand from the wealthy and it will appreciate accordingly. Where else besides River Oaks/Post Oak can do you have access to this?
I beg to differ again a little bit. I dont think the ultra rich people are really concerned with Louis Vuitton and Tiffany's. A lot of people can buy a $5k purse....heck even a $70k Mercedes. (Notice how I didn't say they could actually "afford" it"
Ultra rich people buy 1000 acre ranches, airplanes and buildings.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
I beg to differ again a little bit. I dont think the ultra rich people are really concerned with Louis Vuitton and Tiffany's. A lot of people can buy a $5k purse....heck even a $70k Mercedes. (Notice how I didn't say they could actually "afford" it"
Ultra rich people buy 1000 acre ranches, airplanes and buildings.
A few things. First, the majority of the Woodlands residents aren’t ultra rich. They’re the upper middle class and up.

Second, luxury goods do appreciate in time many times. In fact, there’s a marker for buying and selling luxury goods.

Third, yes people of a wide variety of wealth statuses at some point buy a luxury item, but their primary consistent customers are high class because they are the ones who can afford it. Not every wealthy individual consistently buys name brand clothes, but every consistent repeat customer is in the upper range of wealth.

And as this relates to appreciating homes, yes as LP stated, access to to high paying jobs and good schools are essential. You can’t be a thriving affluent without that. But what put it on top of the Katy/Pearland tier are what the Woodlands has to offer that they don’t. And this new wave of name brand stores are increasing their offerings specifically to the luxury stratosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston