Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 07:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Houston has the ability to prevent incorporation or annexation within its ETJ, and has used that ever since the law was passed, although I am not sure why the Memorial Villages were allowed to incorporate.

One article(sorry about the paywall) https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ts-8264251.php

City Planning Department website on the topic https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Annexation/

Local Government Code section https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/LG.42.htm
The villages were where a large number of Shell, etc employees moved in the 1960s I am told, Reason allowed was likely money talks. I've heard the memorial villages use to be called yankee stadium as most moved from NYC or so I was told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 08:26 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
The Memorial Villages incorporated in the 1950s (and for that matter, other enclave cities like West University Place incorporated even earlier). I believe this predates CoH's big annexation push and application of the ETJ laws by a decade or so.

Shell did indeed move its US HQ from Manhattan to One Shell Plaza in the early 70s. Would make sense that the Villages would appeal to Manhattan transplants, who would probably find them reminiscent of the upscale bedroom communities outside of NYC.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:00 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The Memorial Villages incorporated in the 1950s (and for that matter, other enclave cities like West University Place incorporated even earlier). I believe this predates CoH's big annexation push and application of the ETJ laws by a decade or so.

Shell did indeed move its US HQ from Manhattan to One Shell Plaza in the early 70s. Would make sense that the Villages would appeal to Manhattan transplants, who would probably find them reminiscent of the upscale bedroom communities outside of NYC.
Just as Kingwood was built in large part to cater to transferring oil company professionals who were presumed to want highly regulated and frankly exclusionary suburban environments like would be found in the Northeast. (And yes, the "exclusionary" part was definitely important.)

Old 07-20-2022, 01:11 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Just as Kingwood was built in large part to cater to transferring oil company professionals who were presumed to want highly regulated and frankly exclusionary suburban environments like would be found in the Northeast. (And yes, the "exclusionary" part was definitely important.)
Kingwood was a joint venture between the King Ranch and Exxon's Friendswood Development subsidiary, if anyone was wondering.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 12,310 times
I find Kingwood extremely unappealing.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBetterHouston View Post
I find Kingwood extremely unappealing.
I like the trails and Midway's project on the lake (King's Harbor), but that's about it. But, it represented what developers thought "sophisticated" (read: educated Northeasterners and Midwesterners) professionals wanted in suburban living in the 1970s and 1980s. Especially the golf.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I like the trails and Midway's project on the lake (King's Harbor), but that's about it. But, it represented what developers thought "sophisticated" (read: educated Northeasterners and Midwesterners) professionals wanted in suburban living in the 1970s and 1980s. Especially the golf.
Wasn't Kingwood developed as unincorporated Harris County that was part of Houston ETJ and eventually annexed into the city of Houston?

Where I'm from places like Kingwood would be its own city, making decisions for itself and with its own police and city services, and with probably at least 2 or 3 layers of other self governing entities between it and the central city.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Wasn't Kingwood developed as unincorporated Harris County that was part of Houston ETJ and eventually annexed into the city of Houston?

Where I'm from places like Kingwood would be its own city, making decisions for itself and with its own police and city services, and with probably at least 2 or 3 layers of other self governing entities between it and the central city.
Yes, Kingwood only became part of the City of Houston in the 1990s. State law in Texas strictly limits the powers of counties (as compared to incorporated cities), so they can't provide many things that counties do in some other states. Why Kingwood residents didn't choose to incorporate while it still had the ability to do so and provide those services itself, I don't know, but there may have been legal (perhaps because it's in Houston's ETJ) or fiscal reasons, or maybe they just didn't want that layer of government (taxes, bureacracy, etc.). Remember, Kingwood has strict deed restrictions and what I would assume is a powerful POA, so residents may have felt confident in those things and didn't see the need for incorporation.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:10 AM

20 posts, read 24,344 times
An area similar to Plano would be the Memorial Area, an area similar to Allen would probably be Kingwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston