Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2022, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 2,321 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I currently live in Austin and am seriously considering moving to the Houston area this fall. In spite of doing endless online research and taking a trip to the area a few weeks ago I'm still at loss as to the best area for me to land.

About me:

* Single, 50 year old man, work remotely 100% in banking/IT so commute is not an issue for me.
* Would prefer a more suburban area but not completely cut off from other single people and the city.
* Looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for the foreseeable future (would not be buying a house now).

So far I've looked extensively at the Woodlands and LOVED all of the amenities and river walk area along with Hughes Landing. It would be my slam dunk #1 choice BUT I have serious concerns about being single there and ending up in 'dating Siberia' given how geographically isolated it is and how I'm assuming it's mostly families there.

I looked at the Sugarland area and really like that too but it felt a little bit more like generic suburbia, though I'm still very much open to that area. It felt a little more connected to Houston proper vs. the Woodlands.

Finally I looked at the citycentre neighborhood and while it was very nice and by far the most convenient it was a little too much city living for me. If it were 10-15 years ago I'd be all over it but at almost 51 not so much.

I've read a lot about the Houston Heights neighborhood but I'm guessing that would be even more city living than citycentre.

I'm going to taking another exploratory trip down there in a few week so any and all suggestions would be great, thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 10:36 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
It's hard to know exactly your borderline between "suburbia" and "too much city living". I would have said CityCentre / Memorial City was your best option, but now I'm stumped. My best suggestions then are the area just west of Uptown, between Chimney Rock and Woodway (historically popular with older singles) and the Holcombe / Bellaire corridor west of the Texas Medical Center.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I'll look them up. I'm also thinking on my next trip I'll check out Katy as well as the area along the 10 between there and city center, I think it's the "energy cooridor".

Old 07-18-2022, 12:39 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucron22 View Post
I looked at the Sugarland area and really like that too but it felt a little bit more like generic suburbia, though I'm still very much open to that area. It felt a little more connected to Houston proper vs. the Woodlands.

Finally I looked at the citycentre neighborhood and while it was very nice and by far the most convenient it was a little too much city living for me. If it were 10-15 years ago I'd be all over it but at almost 51 not so much.

I've read a lot about the Houston Heights neighborhood but I'm guessing that would be even more city living than citycentre.

I'm going to taking another exploratory trip down there in a few week so any and all suggestions would be great, thank you!
That does not make much sense to me. CityCentre is a tiny artificial reef of fake urbanity in suburban sea, and you think it's too much city for you?

Anyway if you're serious about dating you should get over any reservation about living in 'too much city'. The Heights is a good option. I know people that meet your description living there and liking it..

Old 07-18-2022, 06:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Montrose,Galleria

Old 07-18-2022, 10:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 777,355 times
Check Katy and Richmond too.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:28 AM

Thanks again everyone for the good feedback. And I'm also going to take a look at the Heights and areas around there. It could have been that I just didn't like Citycentre in particular so I'll explore more in the actual Houston proper.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucron22 View Post
Thanks again everyone for the good feedback. And I'm also going to take a look at the Heights and areas around there. It could have been that I just didn't like Citycentre in particular so I'll explore more in the actual Houston proper.
City center is nice - just needs more parking. They have some nicer apartment complexes in Memorial area a little closer in from City Center but outside 610.

Heights is very nice for singles but crowd tends to be younger. Also seems to have a lot of cat converter thefts, but that's anywhere these days.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:05 PM

71 posts, read 51,088 times
North of the Height, there is a neighborhood called Oak Forest which has more of a suburban feel and just west of the Heights is a neighborhood called Timbergrove Manor which also has a suburban feel. These neighborhood are a couple of miles from all the amenities that the Heights and other inner loops have. I think there are some new apartments in these neighborhood.

Another option, which also has a suburban feel is Spring Branch which is just outside the Westloop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston