Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianspringsguy View Post
In Texas, snakes are an issue. Mostly Copperheads though. ON the most part in the city, the snakes that do exist should exist and not be killed. If you want rats, then kill the snakes. Here in The Woodlands, someone recently found a Rat Snake and thankfully asked what it was before going bezirk and killing it.
While I agree on general principle that the snakes are around for a reason and should be left to their own devices whenever practical, I think the risk to the human inhabitants, their pets and children justifies destroying a rattlesnake on your property. And really, killing a rattlesnake or copperhead in your backyard is not going to have a huge effect on the rodent population. A large rattlesnake may be able to eat 10 rats in a month, and that's pushing it. 2 rats can make 20 or more in the same time frame. If you want rats, kill the cats in the neighborhood. A cat will eat 1 rat each night and kill the rest that he finds. Much more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM

54 posts, read 228,939 times
Default Worried about the realtor??

Are you serious that the realtor told you this?? I am worried about what else they have told you.

From someone raised on a farm with creek...mothballs will work to keep snakes away too...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM

87 posts, read 384,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlongfamily View Post
Are you serious that the realtor told you this?? I am worried about what else they have told you.

From someone raised on a farm with creek...mothballs will work to keep snakes away too...
It was an agent a new home community after we asked the question about snakes. Coming from an area where there are no poisonous snakes, we wanted to know exactly what to be prepared for.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 37,304 times
If she told you there were Cobra's in the area....I'd say it was time to get another Realtor!
Living down on the water in SeaBrook, we've seen a few water snakes...and a few garden variety snakes...nothing to be frightened of, that's for sure!
Only Cobras I've seen around here:
Attached Thumbnails
Rattlesnake & cobras in Houston suburbs?-cobra-pics-005.jpg  

Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM

189 posts, read 448,907 times
Are you sure you're not meaning corall snakes? The have migrated to Texas from Fl. but I've never heard of any being spotted in the Houston area.

When we lived in Sugarland I found a water moccasin in our back yard once. Here in Katy all we've had is one non-poisonous rat snake.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
we have copperheads here in the st. louis area .... and as one of the posters above mentioned, they tend to be found in the old wood tie retaining walls.... or other places of rotted/deteriorated wood/vegetation...... we also have rattlers on occasion.... but don't think that the water moccasins are this far north.....

i have had a black snake 3(+/-) feet long living under the concrete porch on the front of my house for the past 3-4 years and try to live and let live.... once i looked him up and was SURE he was not poisonous...... they do control vermin .... and i just wish he would get after the moles in my front yard, since my mighty hunter cat seems to have given up or got too lazy this year....

in any case.... a little common sense goes a LOOOONG way in living where snakes (poisonous or not) may be encountered....... just as my daddy used to tell me when i was a kid.... they are more afraid of you then you are of them.....

Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM

182 posts, read 768,779 times
Default Yes Virginia, there is a Coral Snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Are you sure you're not meaning corall snakes? The have migrated to Texas from Fl. but I've never heard of any being spotted in the Houston area.

When we lived in Sugarland I found a water moccasin in our back yard once. Here in Katy all we've had is one non-poisonous rat snake.
Well, now you have! My neighbor had a coral snake in her back yard a few months ago. It is not the same species as Florida but they are native to this area. (I live in New Territory / Sugar Land) It slithered away but got my wife pretty panicy for several weeks. (She still asks me periodically if I've seen any snakes)

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM

189 posts, read 448,907 times
OMG Silverwings! I'm terrified of snakes and just seeing that rat snake made me fear walking in high grass to my rosebeds! You can bet I wouldnt be sticking around to see if its a coral snake or a safe king snake!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM

330 posts, read 1,198,089 times
What's the big deal about snakes? If by some small chance you ever get bit just call an ambulance or get a ride over to the nearest emergency room. Or, since the second amendment is still alive and well in Texas you can always shoot the damn thing.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM

222 posts, read 720,382 times
I haven't seen a cobra in a few weeks, but those pesky basketball size tarantulas have invaded my house. Not to mention we seem to have an infestation of mutant ninja turtles crawling around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston