Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,980 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from California Bay Area to Houston with a 7-year-old (entering 2nd grade) and a 4.5-year-old (currently a pre-schooler). Any suggestion on the best time of year to move? Our pre-schooler was just accepted into a much sought-after program here with a fabulous teacher for the coming kindergarten year. In Houston I think she is still too young to enroll in kindergarten Are there any issues with over-enrollment or impacted schools that would make it difficult to show up mid-year? We are considering Sugar Land (isn't everyone?) and around the Memorial area but haven't decided yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Wow, Sugarland and Memorial are two different planets.

I think all the burbs are pretty much set up for year round transfer kids. I know Memorial schools have low enrollment numbers, so either way you should be fine.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-28-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,203 times
I'd be more concerned about how the move would impact the kids. I would think it'd be easier for them to adjust if you moved during the summer rather than mid-year. Also, consider the timing of TAKS, Stanford, etc. testing. Texas is testing crazy.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,027 times
We don't start TAKS testing until the 3th grade. I'm not familiar with any public schools that would turn a child away mid year but I know that it does happen in California. We lived in San Jose (Los Gatos area) and that was an issue. It's also likely that the cut off date to start kindergarten will be earlier here in Texas. My daughter went to Kindergarten in Los Gatos and there were 4 year olds in her class. I was so shocked!

Anyway, we moved twice when my kids were in elementary once mid-year and once over the summer. They preferred the "mid-year" move because it was more obvious that they were new. The school and kids made an effort to show them around and help them out instead of being lost in the crowd. But your children may feel differently. Good Luck

Edit: I just looked up the starting age for Kindergarten. The State of Texas requires that children be five years old on or before September 1 to be admitted to kindergarten.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
The military tells families that it is easier on children to move mid-year because then they are treated as "special" new kids. They say that if they start at the beginning of the school year, there is too much going on for anyone to help them acclimate.

I'm not sure if I believe this or not, but it is food for thought!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2Houston View Post
We're relocating from California Bay Area to Houston with a 7-year-old (entering 2nd grade) and a 4.5-year-old (currently a pre-schooler). Any suggestion on the best time of year to move? Our pre-schooler was just accepted into a much sought-after program here with a fabulous teacher for the coming kindergarten year. In Houston I think she is still too young to enroll in kindergarten Are there any issues with over-enrollment or impacted schools that would make it difficult to show up mid-year? We are considering Sugar Land (isn't everyone?) and around the Memorial area but haven't decided yet.
When will your younger child turn 5? If September 1 or sooner, he/she can start kindergarten. We live in Sugar Land and my son is starting Walker Station Elementary's kindergarten in August. We keep hearing rave reviews from local parents and we hope the educational experience will be half as good as they say it will be.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,980 times
Default Pre-Kindergarten?

Thanks for all the comments. I'm hearing a lot about the Pre-K program at Houston public schools... Is that for everyone or a select demographic? Do all the classroom friendships start in the Pre-K program? Mine is a typical native-English speaker who has already attended 2 years of private pre-school in San Jose. We don't have public pre-K programs here. I hope she can transfer as a kindergarten student despite the age cut-off (Oct. baby).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 PM

The Houston ISD Web site says:

"To qualify for pre-kindergarten, a child must be four years old no later than September 1 and must be economically disadvantaged, homeless, or unable to speak and understand English."

Fort Bend ISD requirements are similar.

If you can't get her into kindergarten this year because of the age rule, you could choose a preschool in which lots of the children graduate into the kindergarten she will be attending the next year. That way, she will know some other children, although we learned at the kindergarten Open House last month that there are 5 different kindergarten classes at our local elementary school, so even if my son has made friends with someone from preschool, that is no guarantee they will be in the same kindergarten class. Maybe some other kindergarten classes are smaller than this one, but it was new to me to think of such large numbers of kindergarteners!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,005 times
You got to be kidding? So I will be paying over $10K in FBISD taxes next year and and every year after and when we have a kid(s), he/she will not be allowed into a pre-school program that I (and fellow Tax Payers) pay for? Because he/she is NOT: "economically disadvantaged, homeless, or unable to speak and understand English"

This a perfect case of how the government steals from those of us that work hard and pay taxes. Well I think I will start my campaign now to address the issue with the school board. Or in the future have people in the school board that understand that we pay these HIGH A** taxes for our kids to have the advantages too...

Last Time I checked: IT IS GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE. Not FOR the SOCIAL PARASITES BY THE ELITIST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The Houston ISD Web site says:

"To qualify for pre-kindergarten, a child must be four years old no later than September 1 and must be economically disadvantaged, homeless, or unable to speak and understand English."

Fort Bend ISD requirements are similar.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
You got to be kidding? So I will be paying over $10K in FBISD taxes next year and and every year after and when we have a kid(s), he/she will not be allowed into a pre-school program that I (and fellow Tax Payers) pay for? Because he/she is NOT: "economically disadvantaged, homeless, or unable to speak and understand English"

This a perfect case of how the government steals from those of us that work hard and pay taxes. Well I think I will start my campaign now to address the issue with the school board. Or in the future have people in the school board that understand that we pay these HIGH A** taxes for our kids to have the advantages too...

Last Time I checked: IT IS GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE. Not FOR the SOCIAL PARASITES BY THE ELITIST!
Yes, because what we really want here in Houston is to turn into a Third World country where only the economically advantaged, homed, and dominant-language speakers are properly educated. One need look no further than New Orleans for a glimpse of what a rousing success that would be. What you want is termed universal pre-K. Go fight for that, not against children who need the extra help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: